+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pep Guardiola

Re: Pep Guardiola

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Brian Clough must be up there in respect of achieving success with meagre resources.
    Agreed. That’s why I made the point about Pep taking on a lesser team and being successful with them so to speak.

The gaps too wide now to do it with a club the size of Derby or Forest, but could Pep go to Arsenal or Liverpool and take on the 3 financial powerhouses domestically, and the the likes of PSG, Madrid, Barca etc and be successful?

Fergie, for all his faults, has to be respected too. He built successful teams through several eras and in his last year won the league with arguably his weakest squad.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I respect your opinion but he has been sorely unlucky in Europe with Bayern. In the first year he was undone by two moments of genius by Messi in the semi final. In the second or third year they absolutely slaughtered Athletico and were let down by terrible finishing.

Klopp plays good attacking football, as does Pocchetino but what Pep does is totally different in my opinion. He has brought a new dimension to football.
    If Pep has Spurs squad and resources, and Poch as Citehs, does Pep still come out on top?

where ever he's been he's always used the 5 a side futsal system and adopted it to 11 aside

rotations, tight spaces and triangles in attack and defence and management of space is his hallmark . of course you need the right technical gifted players to do this not just your 6 foot 6 lumpers

it's great to watch from a purist perspective

http://fbbarcelona.blogspot.co.uk/20...by-futsal.html

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Agreed. That’s why I made the point about Pep taking on a lesser team and being successful with them so to speak.

The gaps too wide now to do it with a club the size of Derby or Forest, but could Pep go to Arsenal or Liverpool and take on the 3 financial powerhouses domestically, and the the likes of PSG, Madrid, Barca etc and be successful?

Fergie, for all his faults, has to be respected too. He built successful teams through several eras and in his last year won the league with arguably his weakest squad.
    I agree with this. When I was younger I hated Ferguson and United but now I've got nothing but respect for the way he built up his team and kept them there. Guardiola has a good record of course, but when you have a setup and players already in place then it doesn't exactly show off his credentials as it would do if he had to start from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

Leicester.....

Quote Originally Posted by neilw65 View Post
    Completely agree with you regarding both Mourinho and Guardiola. He has spent around £410m pounds so far at City, in the relatively short amount of time he's been there. In fairness even Slade may be able to do ok with that amount of money. Also they already had the likes of Aguero and Silva there
    The difference between the two being Guardiola teams tend to be ones that I wouldn't mind paying money to watch, whereas Mourinho teams? The reaction to last Sunday's game between Chelsea and Man United amused me because it was hailed as some sort of football classic because Mourinho, who tends to manage sides that could buy any player in the world if he wanted them, actually sent his side out to attack!

Quote Originally Posted by neilw65 View Post
    Completely agree with you regarding both Mourinho and Guardiola. He has spent around £410m pounds so far at City, in the relatively short amount of time he's been there. In fairness even Slade may be able to do ok with that amount of money. Also they already had the likes of Aguero and Silva there
    Think there needs to be a bit of context with the transfer fund. It's not as simple as looking at the amount, because there's a domestic tax on English players. Although Stones and Walker might have cost close to £100m and be among the most expensive defenders of all-time, they're not the best in the world. Similarly, Man City pay more for players than, say Juventus, because selling clubs know they can afford it.

They might be expensive players but they aren't Galacticos.