+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Pep Guardiola

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Pep Guardiola

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Not deny he's a good manager. It's just for me he's been on a pedestal when he's not managed a team that hasn't been in or around the top spot - either the teams he's managed have had quality players there already or he's had serious money to spend.

Agree on Mourinho, but that's the type of team he produces.

Completely agree with you regarding both Mourinho and Guardiola. He has spent around £410m pounds so far at City, in the relatively short amount of time he's been there. In fairness even Slade may be able to do ok with that amount of money. Also they already had the likes of Aguero and Silva there

Quote Originally Posted by neilw65 View Post
    Completely agree with you regarding both Mourinho and Guardiola. He has spent around £410m pounds so far at City, in the relatively short amount of time he's been there. In fairness even Slade may be able to do ok with that amount of money. Also they already had the likes of Aguero and Silva there
    The difference between the two being Guardiola teams tend to be ones that I wouldn't mind paying money to watch, whereas Mourinho teams? The reaction to last Sunday's game between Chelsea and Man United amused me because it was hailed as some sort of football classic because Mourinho, who tends to manage sides that could buy any player in the world if he wanted them, actually sent his side out to attack!

Quote Originally Posted by neilw65 View Post
    Think there needs to be a bit of context with the transfer fund. It's not as simple as looking at the amount, because there's a domestic tax on English players. Although Stones and Walker might have cost close to £100m and be among the most expensive defenders of all-time, they're not the best in the world. Similarly, Man City pay more for players than, say Juventus, because selling clubs know they can afford it.

They might be expensive players but they aren't Galacticos.