+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A true Welsh super star

Re: A true Welsh super star

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    I remember John Actie decking a teacher once. The teacher was 6 foot plus and John was about 12 at the time.
    We used to have some interesting lunchtimes with the Rumney high boys down countisbury avenue.
    Green and gold!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Green and gold!
    Strong be our hearts and bold

I remember John Actie decking a teacher once. The teacher was 6 foot plus and John was about 12 at the time.
    We used to have some interesting lunchtimes with the Rumney high boys down countisbury avenue.
    What house were you?, I was Mostyn.

Banned

Let's try and get the thread back on track.
    Super star?

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    What house were you?, I was Mostyn.
    De la salle

De la salle

International

Strong be our hearts and bold
    to keep unsullied our great name.........

Bute.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    It was turning professional that ensured he only ever won a solitary cap.
    It was only winning the one cap that made him turn professional.

I started and finished St Illtyds in the same class as Bish 5 years, wasn't in his circle of friends, Jeckyll and hide character, was frightened of no one at the school, except John Actie he had some great scraps usually with the older pupils, and I did witness the day that someone else in the class stood up to him, Bishop had just decked Doug Actie with a thumping left hook, and another lad whose name i'll not mention stood up for Doug, and fronted Bishop up, it was calmed down but it was a watershed moment at the school. In 2003 when i was doing a bit of door work saving for Euro 2004, I did some work for Bishop in town, a very dodgy evening for me and was the turning point for me to say , I don't need the cash that much and stopped doing door work. BAR Blue the place was called at the time, serious drug taking going down.
    I bet he didn’t cheek Mr Hargest, he was nails he was 😂😂😂

There used to be a picture of Dai Bishop and John Actie in the Royal Oak as kids playing for St Cadocs.

They looked hard even then 😂😂

as well as representing his country in 4 different sports he also played for the great britain rugby league side too . i guess that is a some kinda record ? my lad has represented Wales in 2 different sports but not famous .lol.

can anyone name a famous sports person that has represented there country is say at least 2 sports ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Super thug more like!

I remember being in the Top Rank in '78 at a Siouxsie & The Banshees gig, when him and his thugy henchmen attacked and badly beat up a couple of students for not being 'punk'. Punched and attacked them from behind - there's brave!! FFS you can't be more 'establishment' in Wales than being on the brink of international honours in rugby union. He only escaped going inside by the skin of hide, as his solicitor grovelled to the Magistrates bench, about him being an up n' coming rugby star

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    I bet he didn’t cheek Mr Hargest, he was nails he was 😂😂😂
    Ah Lenny!

I took the piss out of him on the real radio sports phone in for supporting Leeds and Johnathan Davies for being a man united fan and he took it on the chin

Leighton James however got really wound up and couldn't see the hypocrisy of Welsh people cheering on the Welsh rugby side against England one Saturday and supporting English football teams the following weekend

As long as we beat the English and all that crap sung by Kelly Jones , a fecking Leeds fan

It went straight over Leighton's head

As for bishop a tremendous all round sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    Had a day on the piss once with him, an all dayer on an Easter Sunday.
    A gang of us ended up over the docks (Village Gate), until 4am ish, he got a taxi back to Rumney, and we walked home to Grange.
    Next day, I fell out of bed around 1pm,in a terrible state, and searching for some paracetamol. I then turned on the TV to see the news that he'd scored 30 odd points for Pontypool, in an early Bank Holiday Monday kick off!
    Disgusting piss head.

Drinking that much alcohol. A stain on the welsh nation

Ah Lenny!

Ex soldier who fought on D-Day, legend 👍

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I took the piss out of him on the real radio sports phone in for supporting Leeds and Johnathan Davies for being a man united fan and he took it on the chin

Leighton James however got really wound up and couldn't see the hypocrisy of Welsh people cheering on the Welsh rugby side against England one Saturday and supporting English football teams the following weekend

As long as we beat the English and all that crap sung by Kelly Jones , a fecking Leeds fan

It went straight over Leighton's head

As for bishop a tremendous all round sportsman
    I still have that recording somewhere

I still have that recording somewhere
    Well that's all very romantic Leighton but that doesn't answer the question !

Leighton......don't come that with me sonny !!!

He was leathered

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Well that's all very romantic Leighton but that doesn't answer the question !

Leighton......don't come that with me sonny !!!

He was leathered
    I have some work to do for a few hours but will hunt this out later

I have some work to do for a few hours but will hunt this out later
    Time is a healer

I was slagging off Welsh rugby to get a rise out of Leighton James , the daft bugger !

Wishy washy

I started and finished St Illtyds in the same class as Bish 5 years, wasn't in his circle of friends, Jeckyll and hide character, was frightened of no one at the school, except John Actie he had some great scraps usually with the older pupils, and I did witness the day that someone else in the class stood up to him, Bishop had just decked Doug Actie with a thumping left hook, and another lad whose name i'll not mention stood up for Doug, and fronted Bishop up, it was calmed down but it was a watershed moment at the school. In 2003 when i was doing a bit of door work saving for Euro 2004, I did some work for Bishop in town, a very dodgy evening for me and was the turning point for me to say , I don't need the cash that much and stopped doing door work. BAR Blue the place was called at the time, serious drug taking going down.

I played in the same Cardiff Schools side that won the DC Thomas Cup in 70/71 with Bishop, Doug Actie and John Actie. John Actie was a year younger than all of us and yet he was the biggest and easily the strongest in the team. Bishop was a bit special, even at that young age. His father was always there, urging him on from the touchline.
    There wasn't really that much money in the game back then when he broke into the first class rugby scene ... "boot money" = enough to cover your expenses and your beer money.
    Had Bishop been born in America, for example, he'd have probably cut it as a running back or quarterback and made a fortune (he would have developed bigger size with the American conditioning and facilities). There were no half measures with him, he threw everything into whatever sport he happened to be doing at the time.
    Unfortunately for him, he was still involved at a time when rugby was still clinging on desperately to the amateur ways.

Is it an urban myth or did he really used to challenge the gypsies to bare-knuckle fights?

I was told he challenged a well known lunatic from Tremorfa one night outside the troubadour club and the Tremorfa lad gave him a hiding.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    I was told he challenged a well known lunatic from Tremorfa one night outside the troubadour club and the Tremorfa lad gave him a hiding.
    I'm sure there were many hidings dished out as his reputation preceded him, AL from Llanrumney always had the upper hand, I'm led to believe that Bishop in the early years kept his distance, in the later years were good friends.

Sounds like a really nice bloke.