+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

I used to do Glastonbury .......last one was 1992 with the brilliant fishbone , the fall and Lou Reed stealing the show

And used to do reading and the metal festivals

The shared showers at Glastonbury were great for a bloke like me

But I am too old for that now

I prefer to see one band and a few support acts than trudge from stage to stage paying five quid for a veggie burger

Off to see Mastodon , supported by the stoner rock god's red fang in December.......machine head in may , both in Cardiff ......can't be arsed travelling far for gigs these days although I would to see TOOL , an amazing band

Re: Music festivals ? Any of you go nowadays ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I used to do Glastonbury .......last one was 1992 with the brilliant fishbone , the fall and Lou Reed stealing the show

I prefer to see one band and a few support acts than trudge from stage to stage paying five quid for a veggie burger

Off to see Mastodon , supported by the stoner rock god's red fang in December.......machine head in may , both in Cardiff ......can't be arsed travelling far for gigs these days although I would to see TOOL , an amazing band
    Stopped doing festivals when I had to pay to get in!

Nah i haven't got a festival in me these days, even a quiet night out preceded by a cheeky couple of pre drinks does me in!

I wouldn't mind going to a one-dayer, if there was a nice quiet area to escape. But the older I get, I find the bands I don't like more of a distraction.

I was never into big, three-day festivals. Especially the ones in the UK. In fact, I don't think I've ever stayed the full weekend anywhere.

Edit: Except Primavera. There's no mud and the hotel is right across the street.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Stopped doing festivals when I had to pay to get in!

Nah i haven't got a festival in me these days, even a quiet night out preceded by a cheeky couple of pre drinks does me in!
    Glastonbury is a piss take now , it's a corporate show for the home counties

I’m a bit of a folky now I may go to Cropredy

we used to always do " reading " for many years

Did a little of boardmasters as we were next door to the site this summer

always on the look out for smaller festivals BUT with bands we know as a headliner, you know, to have a sing-along at the end of the evening

http://www.summersend.co.uk/wintersend.html

http://www.planetrock.com/events/pla...ockstock-2017/

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I wouldn't mind going to a one-dayer, if there was a nice quiet area to escape. But the older I get, I find the bands I don't like more of a distraction.

I was never into big, three-day festivals. Especially the ones in the UK. In fact, I don't think I've ever stayed the full weekend anywhere.

Edit: Except Primavera. There's no mud and the hotel is right across the street.
    Last one dated I did was Black Sabbath at the Milton Keynes bowl in 1998

The original line up in superb form , they should have called it a day then as Ozzy struggled at times , but it was an amazing show

Supported by TOOL and several other bands

It was a superb day I will never forget

Rage Against The Machine at Hyde park was electric but only one band

I hear that band godsticks are a handy little three piece

Rock Goddess.....I used to wank over the lead guitarist , saw em with YnT at st David's hall years ago

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    we used to always do " reading " for many years

Did a little of boardmasters as we were next door to the site this summer

always on the look out for smaller festivals BUT with bands we know as a headliner, you know, to have a sing-along at the end of the evening
    Got ya

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    I’m a bit of a folky now I may go to Cropredy
    Is that the Fairport convention one in Oxfordshire ?

Never been

Last one I went to was Led Zep at Nebworth, 1979

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Last one I went to was Led Zep at Nebworth, 1979
    You lucky sod

My sister went to that

Is that the Fairport convention one in Oxfordshire ?

Never been
    Yeah that’s the one

Let's Rock Bristol each June. 80s Festival. Group of us go, have a great laugh .

The Sunday became 90s last year- I guess it's a sign that the 80s bands are dying off slowly 🙁

You lucky sod

My sister went to that
    I didn't see her there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Let's Rock Bristol each June. 80s Festival. Group of us go, have a great laugh .

The Sunday became 90s last year- I guess it's a sign that the 80s bands are dying off slowly ��
    a group of our friends go to this, they have a minibus from our estate

I dont go, as in the 80's I used to be the white boy into NWA, Ice T and PE

katchagoogoo and Black Lace were never really on the record player

Headliners for next summers Download are Ozzy Osbourne, Guns n Roses and Avenged Sevenfold.

I’ve done about 8 Download festivals, a few Reading (first one in 83 - then didn’t go again until about 2006.) Been Knebworth a few times as well. Seen loads of great bands.

Three day festivals can be superb but they can be hard work as well. You need to be a young un to hammer it for three days but if you pace yourself you can have a great time especially if it’s not raining.

I can't stand gigs where the musicians you see on stage are so far away that you end up watching a video screen. That isn't a genuine experience for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Headliners for next summers Download are Ozzy Osbourne, Guns n Roses and Avenged Sevenfold.

I’ve done about 8 Download festivals, a few Reading (first one in 83 - then didn’t go again until about 2006.) Been Knebworth a few times as well. Seen loads of great bands.

Three day festivals can be superb but they can be hard work as well. You need to be a young un to hammer it for three days but if you pace yourself you can have a great time especially if it’s not raining.
    I hate guns and roses , dreadful aerosmith rip offs , good guitarist but the lead singer does my head in

Ozzy needs to knock it on the head now , it's becoming embarrassing

Not a fan of avenged sevenfold

My mates go every year, it's their summer holiday , they hire a camper van which is the way to do it as camping is a nightmare if the weather is bad

But as I said these days I prefer a one day event like steelhouse or single act gigs with just one support band

Looking forward to Mastodon and machine head at the university

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I can't stand gigs where the musicians you see on stage are so far away that you end up watching a video screen. That isn't a genuine experience for me.
    I know what you mean , I prefer 2000 capacity venues but a band like TOOL or Rush or Peter Gabriel who I saw a few years back have a big stage show with effects and they need a bigger venue

Sludge, have a look at the Steelhouse Festival in Ebbw Vale.

https://www.steelhousefestival.com/

Been going about six years now and getting the more established bands these days.

Much cheaper, nearer and smaller than the bloated Download.

£80 for the weekend. 5000 capacity.

Obviously you’re not going to get the huge headliners that download get but they’ve still had a few ‘names’ there - UFO, Saxon, Nazareth, Thunder etc. A bit middle of the road in terms of rock/metal but the atmosphere is good, people are friendly and because it’s on a smaller scale, you’re not half a mile from the stage.

Edit: just seen your post mentioning Steelhouse.

As you were young man.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Sludge, have a look at the Steelhouse Festival in Ebbw Vale.

https://www.steelhousefestival.com/

Been going about six years now and getting the more established bands these days.

Much cheaper, nearer and smaller than the bloated Download.

£80 for the weekend. 5000 capacity.

Obviously you’re not going to get the huge headliners that download get but they’ve still had a few ‘names’ there - UFO, Saxon, Nazareth, Thunder etc. A bit middle of the road in terms of rock/metal but the atmosphere is good, people are friendly and because it’s on a smaller scale, you’re not half a mile from the stage.

Edit: just seen your post mentioning Steelhouse.

As you were young man.
    Keep up at the back !

Last one I did was Elephant Fair 1986. Really enjoyed the experience Did Glastonbury in 1984. It all looks to sterile nowadays.
    Spedger

Truckfest (Oxford) is OK. Only £90 for the weekend, and you can take your own booze and food in.