A true Welsh super star

Re: A true Welsh super star

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    He's not looking well

No way is Webb the best scrum half in the world

Agreed Sludge. Bishop should have won more caps

any sportsman to represent his country in 4 different sports is an incredible achievement in itself

can't think of anyone else to do that can you ?

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    any sportsman to represent his country in 4 different sports is an incredible achievement in itself

can't think of anyone else to do that can you ?
    No but he's not looking well

well you just remembered how he used to look i guess i suppose but its just an ageing process it happens to us all !

another fact about bishop he jumped into the river rhymney many moons ago to save someone's life

an incredible individual however you look at it

i do remember you giving him some stick on the real radio phone for supporting leeds tho .lol .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Agreed Sludge. Bishop should have won more caps
    Maybe if he hadn't done 3 years in prison and been banned for 11 months for breaking a players jaw.

Had a day on the piss once with him, an all dayer on an Easter Sunday.
    A gang of us ended up over the docks (Village Gate), until 4am ish, he got a taxi back to Rumney, and we walked home to Grange.
    Next day, I fell out of bed around 1pm,in a terrible state, and searching for some paracetamol. I then turned on the TV to see the news that he'd scored 30 odd points for Pontypool, in an early Bank Holiday Monday kick off!

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Maybe if he hadn't done 3 years in prison and been banned for 11 months for breaking a players jaw.
    Three years?

It was turning professional that ensured he only ever won a solitary cap.

He was a good lad,would you jump in a river to save some one you did not know.

I played golf with his dad once many years ago, and had just read about his age in the paper so I remarked to his dad that they’d got his age wrong - it had been reported as being younger than me and as I had been in school with him I knew he was two years above me, his dad turned to me and said “aye but we were able to get more money for him when he went north!”
    In my view he’s one of the best scrum half’s Wales has ever produced and should’ve had many caps.

Bish is a top lad , bit off a character . I remember the first time I met him down the Tred and he joined in all the fun and games. You didn’t go downtown the Tred for a quiet pint . I remember wondering what is this super duper sports man doing in this environment . I do think it worked against him that he retained his working class mates as superstar status beckoned .

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    I played golf with his dad once many years ago, and had just read about his age in the paper so I remarked to his dad that they’d got his age wrong - it had been reported as being younger than me and as I had been in school with him I knew he was two years above me, his dad turned to me and said “aye but we were able to get more money for him when he went north!”
    In my view he’s one of the best scrum half’s Wales has ever produced and should’ve had many caps.
    So true.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Which scrum half was he better than?

another memory of the bish is on the baseball diamond . baseball was pretty big in the 70/80's in the summer months but for some reason he ended up playing for newport side alexandra old boys probably cause they were paying him .lol and he was decent bowler around at the time not the best but decent i hit him for 4 and caught him out in the field for a duck he wasn't happy .lol . . might sound stupid to the masses but great memories now when i think about it . playing baseball with rugby and football pro's was great back then . now youngsters are immersed with xbox and facebook it seems FFS where did it all go wrong

Which scrum half was he better than?
    All of them bar Gareth Edwards and Terry Holmes imho

another memory of the bish is on the baseball diamond . baseball was pretty big in the 70/80's in the summer months but for some reason he ended up playing for newport side alexandra old boys probably cause they were paying him .lol and he was decent bowler around at the time not the best but decent i hit him for 4 and caught him out in the field for a duck he wasn't happy .lol . . might sound stupid to the masses but great memories now when i think about it . playing baseball with rugby and football pro's was great back then . now youngsters are immersed with xbox and facebook it seems FFS where did it all go wrong
    My grandfather won a Welsh cap for baseball. He’d WALK from Newport to Cardiff, play in front of 20,000 in rosy Park then walk home again.
    Different times

I played against him, when he played for The Illtyds.
    He bowled one ball right under the chin of one of Grangetowns finest, and caused a 22 man mass brawl at Greenway Road!

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    He's not looking well

No way is Webb the best scrum half in the world
    I started and finished St Illtyds in the same class as Bish 5 years, wasn't in his circle of friends, Jeckyll and hide character, was frightened of no one at the school, except John Actie he had some great scraps usually with the older pupils, and I did witness the day that someone else in the class stood up to him, Bishop had just decked Doug Actie with a thumping left hook, and another lad whose name i'll not mention stood up for Doug, and fronted Bishop up, it was calmed down but it was a watershed moment at the school. In 2003 when i was doing a bit of door work saving for Euro 2004, I did some work for Bishop in town, a very dodgy evening for me and was the turning point for me to say , I don't need the cash that much and stopped doing door work. BAR Blue the place was called at the time, serious drug taking going down.

that's rumney boys for you strangetown

even worse when you played llanrumney !!

that's rumney boys for you strangetown

even worse when you played llanrumney !!
    I had 3 days in hospital with internal bleeding after one scrap at Ball Road!
    Them were the days!

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    I started and finished St Illtyds in the same class as Bish 5 years, wasn't in his circle of friends, Jeckyll and hide character, was frightened of no one at the school, except John Actie he had some great scraps usually with the older pupils, and I did witness the day that someone else in the class stood up to him, Bishop had just decked Doug Actie with a thumping left hook, and another lad whose name i'll not mention stood up for Doug, and fronted Bishop up, it was calmed down but it was a watershed moment at the school. In 2003 when i was doing a bit of door work saving for Euro 2004, I did some work for Bishop in town, a very dodgy evening for me and was the turning point for me to say , I don't need the cash that much and stopped doing door work. BAR Blue the place was called at the time, serious drug taking going down.
    I remember John Actie decking a teacher once. The teacher was 6 foot plus and John was about 12 at the time.
    We used to have some interesting lunchtimes with the Rumney high boys down countisbury avenue.

how stupid when you think about it now strangetown !

grange albion v llanrumney baseball was like a cardiff / swansea / bristol derby over a game of rounders .lol

loved all the grange derbys too sadly will never get that back

His old man had a few pubs over the years, I remember when he took over the royal tudor after Dai Thomas left in the late seventies. He also ran the retreat in Llanedeyrn and the napier of course.