+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What puts you off watching Rugby on the telly?

Re: What puts you off watching Rugby on the telly?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Eddie Butler putting on his best Dylan Thomas, we're a nation of poets stereotyped bullshit
    The real analogy was that Dylan Thomas was a pisshead.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Yes, it is. As in egg chasing pissheads knowing security has been increased and decide to turn up at the last minute as that 92nd beer is far more important.
    If city had 74000 fans watching them I'd imagine it would be more noticeable that many of our fans are the same. There are plenty in my circle of friends who miss kick off due to not leaving the pub, but with less than 20000 fans ismt doesn't get noticed.

Banned

Being in a pub surrounded by people who have never put a pair of rugby boots on and they keep shouting he's offside

So what if you Don't like rugby I my self want wales to succeed in everything. And what a load of bullshit rugby fans worse than football I've seen ***** on both sides

Egg fans are worse due to getting away with it, the old excuse of "hijinks".

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Being in a pub surrounded by people who have never put a pair of rugby boots on and they keep shouting he's offside
    No idea what offside means in rugby, can still enjoy the spectacle as is the case with the vast majority watching in the Millennium stadium and pubs round Wales.

8k fans for panama and apparently welsh rugby is hemorrhaging support hahahaaaaaa

sad I've got to laugh at the football but people on this forum just turn me off

If the eggers played the equivalent at rugby, say an Austria, they'd get less than 8k...

Wales play minnows Georgia in Cardiff next Saturday and up to a month ago they had sold over 40,000 tickets

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Does putting on boots teach you the rules 😁

Georgia are 12th in the world rankings, above Italy. One of the sides just outside the "elite". Shows the eggers disappear in droves when its not quality opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    8k fans for panama and apparently welsh rugby is hemorrhaging support hahahaaaaaa

sad I've got to laugh at the football but people on this forum just turn me off
    I remember there being tiny crowds for games such as samoa years ago. Me and my mates as kids had the run of the stadium sat in about 50 seats each more or less doing full laps of the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    Why doesn't that apply for football then?
    It’s difficult to explain, I guess it just feels like a typical rugby international is too much razzmatazz these days, an event to be seen at. A club game is more about the game.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    It’s difficult to explain, I guess it just feels like a typical rugby international is too much razzmatazz these days, an event to be seen at. A club game is more about the game.
    Yes. Jonny Owen summed it up saying that it is an "event" and you and he are correct.
    The six (5) nations is an institution which many countries worldwide are envious of.
    It has its place in the sporting calendar and long may it continue.

People just need to get some perspective.

By the way apart from the off few clubs, club rugby is shite. RU has not coped well with going professional.

Wales played well , some exciting youngsters coming through

Kurtley Beale is a world class player who can play anywhere in the backs and hooper is quality

As for the Aussie scrum half ? Best number 9 in the world

Yes they only sold 65 thousand for a friendly,I wonder how many theWales FA will sell for their friendly against Panama 15 thousand if they're lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Yes they only sold 65 thousand for a friendly,I wonder how many theWales FA will sell for their friendly against Panama 15 thousand if they're lucky?
    You're seriously comparing Australia in rugby with Panama in football?

In rugby Wales are a relatively big fish in a very small pond so have been fairly successful through our entire history.
    In football we have punched above our weight recently in being in and around the top ten in the world but, 1958 and 2016 aside, we have been constantly starved of success. No wonder we don’t pull consistently big crowds.

If the situations were reversed, ie the football team playing in and regularly winning a European 6 Nations tournament every year, playing a series of home games against top world sides every autumn, playing in every World Cup without having to qualify, local media saturation, and a general culture of going on an all dayer for the rugby, then I’m sure things would be very different.

Lets face it. A Wales Rugby International is and always has been an excuse for a p!ss up.

In fact, let's do a true comparison.

Australia - 3rd in egg chasing rankings. Football, that would be a game against Portugal.

Panama in football are ranked 49th. In egg chasing, that's the MIGHTY Guyana.

I bet you'll now claim the eggers would get more than 15k playing the MIGHTY Guyana, having stated they'd play youngsters. Quite frankly, a second team wouldn't be needed to stuff Guyana, sixth/seventh would do...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    In rugby Wales are a relatively big fish in a very small pond so have been fairly successful through our entire history.
    In football we have punched above our weight recently in being in and around the top ten in the world but, 1958 and 2016 aside, we have been constantly starved of success. No wonder we don’t pull consistently big crowds.

If the situations were reversed, ie the football team playing in and regularly winning a European 6 Nations tournament every year, playing a series of home games against top world sides every autumn, playing in every World Cup without having to qualify, local media saturation, and a general culture of going on an all dayer for the rugby, then I’m sure things would be very different.
    And even with all that, more people play football, more people watch football domestically, more football teams... christ, even Warburton wanted to play football rather than egg but wasn't good enough to play for us...

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Lets face it. A Wales Rugby International is and always has been an excuse for a p!ss up.
    True, but for a lot of city fans the same applies, I don't think I've seen a city game sober in the last 43 years. It's all part of the day out, meeting your mates in the pub in the morning, having a good swig, off to the match and back to the pub after, I fecking love it. Take that part away from the matchday experience and it's not half the fun.

A mate had a spare ticket and dragged me to an egg game a few years ago.

Got bloody covered in spilt alcohol due to muppets popping off to bar every few minutes one guy went and came back with beer 6 times! it does make you wonder what was the point of even getting a ticket, he could have stayed home and got bladdered for less - not like he was watching the game.

Got bloody covered in spilt alcohol due to muppets popping off to bar every few minutes one guy went and came back with beer 6 times! it does make you wonder what was the point of even getting a ticket, he could have stayed home and got bladdered for less - not like he was watching the game.
    Why would what someone else does bother you sp much?

This is the reason a lot of true rugby supporters don't bother going to internationals anymore, the drinking during the match spoils it for them. I never ever drink in the ground down the city, plenty of time for that before and after the game.