+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Lest we forget

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Lest we forget

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    There are a few youngsters who'd do well to read articles such as this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41917784

Reading some other light hearted threads recently about history ignorance on game shows of people, you have to question whether we are doing enough to educate people not just in schools but in the media.

Lest we forget.
    Cardiff docks seamen of all nationalities were vital to the war effort , keeping the supply lines going in the north Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Cardiff docks seamen of all nationalities were vital to the war effort , keeping the supply lines going in the north Atlantic
    My dad was a merchant seaman he spent 4years as a POW just outside Hamburg.My Mother said he was never the same again.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I went to my first remembrance day in Barry today after serving 35 years at sea; 10 years with commercial companies and 25 years with Royal Fleet Auxiliary (MOD) the latter being very much part of today's Royal Navy/UK's maritime operations. I remember sailing with a guy in early 80s on the Geest Line who got torpedoed twice in one day during WWll. I thought he was winding me up at first. But what trauma seafarers and serviceman suffered in them days. Some great stories he had to tell about seafaring during the war years; harsh times indeed.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    I went to my first remembrance day in Barry today after serving 35 years at sea; 10 years with commercial companies and 25 years with Royal Fleet Auxiliary (MOD) the latter being very much part of today's Royal Navy/UK's maritime operations. I remember sailing with a guy in early 80s on the Geest Line who got torpedoed twice in one day during WWll. I thought he was winding me up at first. But what trauma seafarers and serviceman suffered in them days. Some great stories he had to tell about seafaring during the war years; harsh times indeed.
    Spedger
    It must have been horrific