+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Lest we forget

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Lest we forget

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    There are a few youngsters who'd do well to read articles such as this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41917784

Reading some other light hearted threads recently about history ignorance on game shows of people, you have to question whether we are doing enough to educate people not just in schools but in the media.

Lest we forget.
    My 7 year old son is learning about WW2 in school. He is fascinated by it and it really is something that we should never forget. When I was in an old school, there were names above each classroom of pupils who died in action in WW1.

We missed the two minutes silence because of a family loss, and he was the one who reminded me about it. So, we had two minutes of silence later in the day.

I think we are doing enough to educate kids about this - the problem being that, whilst I had four grandparents who were kids during the War, and who could tell me stories, many kids have no such links now. Therefore, it becomes more of an abstract notion I guess.

Re: Lest we forget

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    My 7 year old son is learning about WW2 in school. He is fascinated by it and it really is something that we should never forget. When I was in an old school, there were names above each classroom of pupils who died in action in WW1.

We missed the two minutes silence because of a family loss, and he was the one who reminded me about it. So, we had two minutes of silence later in the day.

I think we are doing enough to educate kids about this - the problem being that, whilst I had four grandparents who were kids during the War, and who could tell me stories, many kids have no such links now. Therefore, it becomes more of an abstract notion I guess.
    Day trip to the London War Museum.