+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lest we forget

Lest we forget

Today is a day to remember those lost in conflict

I am sure everyone has been affected

In my case my grandfather was a medic in the trenches in world war one and was awarded the military medal for bravery .....he was a pacifist and refused to bear arms but he went to the front line to help the wounded

My father's brother was 19 when he died when the Stirling bomber he was training in ......he was a rear gunner ......crashed during a training flight ......my father's family was from Birmingham and my dad's brother joined the RAF when members of his extended family were killed when the Nazis bombed Birmingham

My father was only ten at the time but it deeply affected him and he never really talked about it until the latter stages of his life

I am sure many other people today will have stories about loved ones lost or injured especially during the recent conflict in Iraq and Afghanistan

May they all rest in peace

Re: Lest we forget

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

In my case my grandfather was a medic in the trenches in world war one and was awarded the military medal for bravery .....he was a pacifist and refused to bear arms but he went to the front line to help the wounded

My father's brother was 19 when he died when the Stirling bomber he was training in ......he was a rear gunner ......crashed during a training flight ......my father's family was from Birmingham and my dad's brother joined the RAF when members of his extended family were killed when the Nazis bombed Birmingham

My father was only ten at the time but it deeply affected him and he never really talked about it until the latter stages of his life

I am sure many other people today will have stories about loved ones lost or injured especially during the recent conflict in Iraq and Afghanistan

Today and yesterday's two minutes silence puts everything in perspective.
    Some of todays media whinges are so insignificant compared to times of war, I have great respect for what our fore fathers endured some willing and some not so willing but so brave.
    Respect to all who fell and fought through tough and challenging eras, and shame to those who forget all too easy !

Quote Originally Posted by Wokingbluebird View Post
    Today and yesterday's two minutes silence puts everything in perspective.
    Some of todays media whinges are so insignificant compared to times of war, I have great respect for what our fore fathers endured some willing and some not so willing but so brave.
    Respect to all who fell and fought through tough and challenging eras, and shame to those who forget all too easy !
    Today is a very sad time for so many people , I have great respect for those who join the armed forces and also to those who have lost their lives in conflict all over the world

Today is a very sad time for so many people , I have great respect for those who join the armed forces and also to those who have lost their lives in conflict all over the world
    ^^^^^ agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Wokingbluebird View Post
    ^^^^^ agreed
    My mother is going to the local remembrance parade , hopefully the sun will shine on the fallen heroes

There are a few youngsters who'd do well to read articles such as this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41917784

Reading some other light hearted threads recently about history ignorance on game shows of people, you have to question whether we are doing enough to educate people not just in schools but in the media.

Lest we forget.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    There are a few youngsters who'd do well to read articles such as this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41917784

Reading some other light hearted threads recently about history ignorance on game shows of people, you have to question whether we are doing enough to educate people not just in schools but in the media.

Lest we forget.
    Cardiff docks seamen of all nationalities were vital to the war effort , keeping the supply lines going in the north Atlantic

Agree with the sentiments Sludge but don't you find the whole Rememberance thing now being turned into an exercise for patriotism promoted by jingoistic arses?

I've traditionally worn a poppy but haven't this year (I've still chucked money in the box) due to it losing its original meaning.

Perhaps it's just me?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Agree with the sentiments Sludge but don't you find the whole Rememberance thing now being turned into an exercise for patriotism promoted by jingoistic arses?

I've traditionally worn a poppy but haven't this year (I've still chucked money in the box) due to it losing its original meaning.

Perhaps it's just me?
    Organisations like Britain first have tried to hijack the parade for political means , helped of course by tabloids like the sun

Millions of ordinary German and Russian soldiers died in the second world war too , they should be remembered too

The fact that there were many polish pilots flying spitfires during the battle of Britain tells me remembrance Sunday is for everyone

Cardiff docks seamen of all nationalities were vital to the war effort , keeping the supply lines going in the north Atlantic
    My dad was a merchant seaman he spent 4years as a POW just outside Hamburg.My Mother said he was never the same again.

Organisations like Britain first have tried to hijack the parade for political means , helped of course by tabloids like the sun

Millions of ordinary German and Russian soldiers died in the second world war too , they should be remembered too

The fact that there were many polish pilots flying spitfires during the battle of Britain tells me remembrance Sunday is for everyone
    and the 200,000 Irishmen who volunteered during the first world war, both protestant and catholic, despite the fact that Ireland was on the verge of civil war because of British occupation, 30,000 of them were killed.

My Wife's father was a veteran of, and survived the D Day landings (Leicestershire Yeomanry) we had a few chats of this late at night at their house in Hinckley when all others had gone to bed, the wife, never brought the subject up, it's something that Julie regrets that she never talked to her father about his time in the army, he would talk about it, but only if asked. We have his medals and other artifacts from the beach landings in Normandy.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Nigel_Far...02241810448384

He spoke at a far right rally in September the cuunt.

Knows a few Hitler Youth tunes, too.

I sometimes wonder if they knew how the world would end up would they still have done the same

Apart from the beeb the only other channel to show any respect is Talking Pictures, they have a poppy in right hand corner.

RIP to all the fallen, my father was lucky enough to survive Dunkirk and D Day and lived to the ripe old age of 91. He never did say much about the war.

We must not forget their sacrifice. We must strive for a peaceful, united world where everyone is equal and no-one lives under the fear of war, attack or discrimination.

I went to my first remembrance day in Barry today after serving 35 years at sea; 10 years with commercial companies and 25 years with Royal Fleet Auxiliary (MOD) the latter being very much part of today's Royal Navy/UK's maritime operations. I remember sailing with a guy in early 80s on the Geest Line who got torpedoed twice in one day during WWll. I thought he was winding me up at first. But what trauma seafarers and serviceman suffered in them days. Some great stories he had to tell about seafaring during the war years; harsh times indeed.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    I went to my first remembrance day in Barry today after serving 35 years at sea; 10 years with commercial companies and 25 years with Royal Fleet Auxiliary (MOD) the latter being very much part of today's Royal Navy/UK's maritime operations. I remember sailing with a guy in early 80s on the Geest Line who got torpedoed twice in one day during WWll. I thought he was winding me up at first. But what trauma seafarers and serviceman suffered in them days. Some great stories he had to tell about seafaring during the war years; harsh times indeed.
    Spedger
    It must have been horrific

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    My dad was a merchant seaman he spent 4years as a POW just outside Hamburg.My Mother said he was never the same again.
    Hero mate

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    and the 200,000 Irishmen who volunteered during the first world war, both protestant and catholic, despite the fact that Ireland was on the verge of civil war because of British occupation, 30,000 of them were killed.
    It's unbelievable to think of numbers like that

The numbers killed on the front line in world war one was staggering

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    My Wife's father was a veteran of, and survived the D Day landings (Leicestershire Yeomanry) we had a few chats of this late at night at their house in Hinckley when all others had gone to bed, the wife, never brought the subject up, it's something that Julie regrets that she never talked to her father about his time in the army, he would talk about it, but only if asked. We have his medals and other artifacts from the beach landings in Normandy.
    Another hero , my uncle is buried in Shrewsbury and my grandfather's military medal is at the town's museum

The d day landings must have been so traumatic

Just think , if Hitler hadn't been such a lunatic and left Russia alone , he might have conquered Europe

As it was he took on Stalin , another psychopath , on the eastern front and gradually he was penned in from both sides

What a tosser he is

gra.jpg
    Map of Grangetown every red poppy denotes a household that lost a life in WW1.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    gra.jpg
    Map of Grangetown every red poppy denotes a household that lost a life in WW1.
    Fecking hell , we owe these men so much