+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Chris Gunter leads passionate dressing room plea to Chris Coleman

Chris Gunter leads passionate dressing room plea to Chris Coleman

Chris Gunter leads passionate dressing room plea to Chris Coleman ahead of landmark moment in Wales defender's international career

Wales' clash with Panama is set to be a huge occasion for Gunter, and the defender has issued a passionate please to his national team boss

Wales’ most senior star has led an impassioned dressing room plea to ensure Chris Coleman remains as manager, saying it would make “absolutely no sense” to allow him to walk away from the national job.

Coleman sees his contract expire this month and, with talks over a new deal in the balance, Tuesday night’s match against Panama could well be the 47-year-old’s final match in charge of the side he led into history.

The former defender is still waiting to see if the FAW are willing to offer assurances over full-time deals for key staff and investment into infrastructure and facilities before knowing if he is ready to commit to a potential two-year deal.

But now Chris Gunter – who will equal Gary Speed’s record as Wales’ most capped outfield player on Tuesday – has thrown his weight behind the manager in a heartfelt appeal over Coleman’s future.

Chris Gunter will equal Gary Speed's tally of 85 caps in Wales' clash with Panama

Gunter, who will captain a youthful Wales side in the Cardiff City Stadium friendly in the absence of Ashley Williams, said: “Whenever a player gets asked the question in an interview, the line is always the same: you want the manager to stay.

“But, with us, I can’t understand – and I wouldn’t know – one fan, one player, one person in Welsh football, who wouldn’t want him to stay.

“He is the greatest manager in Wales’ history, the things he’s done for this country is incredible. And the last thing this group of players need is for him to leave.

“Truthfully, hand on heart, I can promise you it’s the same from every member of the squad, we want him to stay, it would make absolutely no sense to let Chris Coleman leave Wales. We need him to stay, that’s what every single player wants – and it’s not your stock line, that’s God’s honest truth.”

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...ssing-13895023

Re: Chris Gunter leads passionate dressing room plea to Chris Coleman

Greatest manager in Wales' history?

Let's hope he's not picked for random drug testing!

You just know he means every word of it too. You got to love Chris Gunter, 85 caps and he’s still only 28, and never lets his country down.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    You just know he means every word of it too. You got to love Chris Gunter, 85 caps and he’s still only 28, and never lets his country down.
    Always gives 100%

It will be great for him to hit 100 caps it'll be well deserved

If Coleman showed signs of a plan B and also a willingness to changeup personel I'd see no issue with him staying.

Don't have a huge issue with him anyway, it is mildly annoying when you see Johnny Williams come on against Ireland forcing rambo back, but then again he did sub on woodburn to help us gain a lifeline in games before..so

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Yeah, but did he do the ayatollah?

I think there's plenty of fans who wants him to leave, as someone else has mentioned Coleman seems to pally with the players we really need s9me new fresh ideas imo