+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Since the Tories came in , rough sleepers on the streets has doubled

Since the Tories came in , rough sleepers on the streets has doubled

What a bunch of tossers the conservatives are

Re: Since the Tories came in , rough sleepers on the streets has doubled

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    I would say it is since the crash / recession of 2007 Ive seen a steady increase, certainly in Cardiff. Most seem to have alcohol or addiction issues - which is probably why they wont be allowed into homeless shelters etc or the Huggard charity place.

Sludge - we have a labour run council and labour run Assembly here. You cant pin everything on the conservatives or Lib Dems mate. Homelessness in Cardiff is an issue for the council and the WAG to assist with.

My mate who teachers down by the Parade caught one of his students begging a few years back, they had words - and he stopped doing it.
    So, nothing to do with Central Government?

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    So, nothing to do with Central Government?
    I’m almost certain there’s a politics forum for posts such as this.

Back in the late 1980s, the Tory minister, Sir George Young reputedly said
    The homeless ? Aren’t they the people you step over when you came out of the opera?

To a certain extent yes - but

https://fullfact.org/economy/homelessness-uk/

"In 2014, the Welsh government passed a law placing what it described as a “stronger duty” on councils than under the 1996 Housing Act, which previously applied to Wales as well as England.

It means that Welsh councils now have to provide everyone, whether homeless or not, with housing advice and assistance. And there are now fewer exceptions in Wales on when the council has to find accommodation for a homeless person or family."
    Here have a 'stronger duty' and now you have that stronger duty you can do more to help people with a smaller budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Here have a 'stronger duty' and now you have that stronger duty you can do more to help people with a smaller budget.
    Politics board?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    What a bunch of tossers the conservatives are
    It's the same on the streets of mainland Europe, rich are leaving the have nots behind, I still see it over and above any other reason as to why the UK voted to leave the EU, the poorest in society had a chance to make a statement and they exercised their choice, Wales as a region should have not rejected the EU on the basis of funds received per head alone, but the funds benefited very few, a new viaduct in aber somewhere was never going to persuade 2 to 3 generations in the valleys that things were getting better.

"In 2014, the Welsh government passed a law placing what it described as a “stronger duty” on councils than under the 1996 Housing Act, which previously applied to Wales as well as England.

It means that Welsh councils now have to provide everyone, whether homeless or not, with housing advice and assistance. And there are now fewer exceptions in Wales on when the council has to find accommodation for a homeless person or family."
    So basically what you're saying is that if the Welsh government hadn't implemented the legislation, the numbers of homelessness would be higher.

Most seem to have alcohol or addiction issues - which is probably why they wont be allowed into homeless shelters etc or the Huggard charity place.

My mate who teachers down by the Parade caught one of his students begging a few years back, they had words - and he stopped doing it.
    Many people turn to alcohol and drugs as a way to cope AFTER becoming homeless though.
    I'd imagine myself having all the drive in the world dorbthem first few weeks, then after ha ing every door closed in my face and realising how hard this might actually be, I could quite easily get into the cycle of drug taking.
    There are people local to me who are known to have flats who sleep on the streets, others who don't like to live alone for varying reasons so stay with other family members (don't judge as these aren't simple reasons, although these are wasted properties)

When in Manchester I would always stop and talk to people on the streets, give a bit of change and be on my way to the next boozer, this happened all weekend and my mates eventually stepped in and told me to stop. Overhearing us a couple explained that some of the beggars in Manchester weren't actually homeless. I felt a little ripped off but I still won't "judge" who I give to and let a few put me off.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Many people turn to alcohol and drugs as a way to cope AFTER becoming homeless though.
    I'd imagine myself having all the drive in the world dorbthem first few weeks, then after ha ing every door closed in my face and realising how hard this might actually be, I could quite easily get into the cycle of drug taking.
    There are people local to me who are known to have flats who sleep on the streets, others who don't like to live alone for varying reasons so stay with other family members (don't judge as these aren't simple reasons, although these are wasted properties)

When in Manchester I would always stop and talk to people on the streets, give a bit of change and be on my way to the next boozer, this happened all weekend and my mates eventually stepped in and told me to stop. Overhearing us a couple explained that some of the beggars in Manchester weren't actually homeless. I felt a little ripped off but I still won't "judge" who I give to and let a few put me off.
    There’s a smack / crack head in Merthyr who begs outside Aldi and he’s not homeless. He’s getting around 80 quid a day 7 days a week. I don’t give to him anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    There’s a smack / crack head in Merthyr who begs outside Aldi and he’s not homeless. He’s getting around 80 quid a day 7 days a week. I don’t give to him anymore.

Of course you will always get the odd few who scam but there cannot be any doubt that homelessness has seen a massive increase and for the vast majority the situation is very real, it cannot be nice, the money is in the system.

There's a few sat about late at night in the old M&S ponty..ive seen them there in the morning still asleep and again in the evening time sat there too but people who look a lot like smackheads will stop there to talk all through the day too...likely just chancers..could be homeless but in this case BECAUSE of drugs..hard to have sympathy even if it makes me sound a horrible ****.
    They must have been found out as they don't seem to be there in the day now but are there later in the evenings I've been told.

Has the lack of a bus station highlighted it a bit more in Cardiff? The homeless tended to congregate there, now they’ve spread out to town itself. Sad times though, there has to be a solution some day as the numbers of the unfortunates does seem to be on the rise.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    Back in the late 1980s, the Tory minister, Sir George Young reputedly said
    The homeless ? Aren’t they the people you step over when you came out of the opera?
    It's amazingly how many claims there are that he reputedly say that, none with any evidence. Sounds more like an urban myth, or a test run for Momentum's fake news brigade.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them bring back the workhouses, could end up like the Victorian times.

There was another guy on his patch the order day. As I was walking past him his mobile phone rings and I could hear him say “no I’m not in the house at the moment, I’ll be home in about 2 hours”!!!! Probably when he’d got enough for some rocks!!

Sadly these incidents have put me off giving to the genuine homeless.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    It's amazingly how many claims there are that he reputedly say that, none with any evidence. Sounds more like an urban myth, or a test run for Momentum's fake news brigade.
    I was working for Oxford housing rights centre at the time and he did indeed say that , I remember the outrage , quite rightly , at the time

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Do you purposely just go around this message board intent on disagreeing with anyone, and everything? Or does it just come naturally?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Has the lack of a bus station highlighted it a bit more in Cardiff? The homeless tended to congregate there, now they’ve spread out to town itself. Sad times though, there has to be a solution some day as the numbers of the unfortunates does seem to be on the rise.
    Queen Street is a right eyesore. Since the money’s been ploughed into SD2 and the Hayes, Queen Street has become the real shitty end of town.

You do realise that the council's are working with their hands tied behind their backs in terms of providing housing ? The reason .......the conservatives sold loads of fecking council houses !!

Recently Wales brought in legislation to end the right to buy and not before time !!

I would say it is since the crash / recession of 2007 Ive seen a steady increase, certainly in Cardiff. Most seem to have alcohol or addiction issues - which is probably why they wont be allowed into homeless shelters etc or the Huggard charity place.

Sludge - we have a labour run council and labour run Assembly here. You cant pin everything on the conservatives or Lib Dems mate. Homelessness in Cardiff is an issue for the council and the WAG to assist with.

I used to work in housing advice and in a homeless shelter

Many people develop alcohol and drug problems after they have become homeless due to the people they are with when they are not in the night shelters or sleeping rough

As for who is responsible ? It's the Tories , the selling off of council homes , benefits changes since 2010 , the 1985 housing act , all have had a devastating effect ........and it's getting worse

The Welsh government can only work with the funds it's given by the people running the show in Westminster and that's the conservatives

Since 2010 they have slashed public services and forced local authorities to make huge cuts ......much of this has fallen on the voluntary sector who do so much to help those in housing need , those with substance abuse problems and mental ill health ........which often leads to homelessness

The charity MIND in Wales has been badly hit ......a local office by me used to offer 18 hours of open access to give advice and support ........now it's down to four

Services cut but our council tax still rising at a much higher rate than inflation. Local council have got to share the blame fir that Sludge.

[QUOTE=J R Hartley;4805974]Services cut but our council tax still rising at a much higher rate than inflation. Local council have got to share the blame fir that Sludge.[/QUOTE

The money from the council tax is not used to build housing stock , which is what we need

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Politics board?

I think it's such an important issue and a disgrace I hope it stays on here as long as possible

[QUOTE=SLUDGE FACTORY;4805976]
    Services cut but our council tax still rising at a much higher rate than inflation. Local council have got to share the blame fir that Sludge.[/QUOTE

The money from the council tax is not used to build housing stock , which is what we need
    Quite right. The rise in council tax doesn't come close to correcting the shortfall from central government.