Re: Since the Tories came in , rough sleepers on the streets has doubled

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Blair was a fecking Tory pretending to be in the Labour party

He was for sure a wolf in sheeps clothing sludge mate
    and we all thought
    "things can only get better"

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    being rich doesn't mean you bang on about wanting more money by doing nothing. The left are always going on about wanting more money and the way they get is is by changing the law, not by working harder, longer or smarter.

its not about being rich, there are plenty of no so rich who vote Tory, just like there are plenty of rich people who vote Labour it is all part of life's rich tapestry

Left and right, these terms are redundant mate
    because no one is truly totally left wing or totally right wing
    the vast majority of us flip flop slightly to the left and slightly to the right on different issues
    and if we are honest and how these issues affect us personally that's where we go
    and we all want more money, hence working overtime , taking on new clients , whatever the case may be

even from a concept standpoint as well

Quote Originally Posted by I.8.POLITICAL.CORRECTNESS View Post
    He was for sure a wolf in sheeps clothing sludge mate
    and we all thought
    "things can only get better"
    Give "the killings of Tony blair" a watch on Netflix. Guy is a ****ing criminal. And definitely a Tory. Murdoch even backed him to become PM such was the media influence on the whole thing...

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Give "the killings of Tony blair" a watch on Netflix. Guy is a ****ing criminal. And definitely a Tory. Murdoch even backed him to become PM such was the media influence on the whole thing...
    Cheers Dems I will certainly give that a watch tonight mate
    I remember the media influence so well it was the first time I was old enough to vote
    so took a keen interest
    it felt like every media outlet was pro Blair (maybe its my rose tinted specs) forgive the pun
    quite a lot of us were duped there , the folly of youth I reckon

Cheers Dems I will certainly give that a watch tonight mate
    I remember the media influence so well it was the first time I was old enough to vote
    so took a keen interest
    it felt like every media outlet was pro Blair (maybe its my rose tinted specs) forgive the pun
    quite a lot of us were duped there , the folly of youth I reckon
    It all started so well with Blair but then god told him to invade Iraq

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It all started so well with Blair but then god told him to invade Iraq

Theres a cracking debate on youtube Sludge well worth a watch with
    Tony Blair and Christopher Hitchens Hitch wipes the floor with him

Theres a cracking debate on youtube Sludge well worth a watch with
    Tony Blair and Christopher Hitchens Hitch wipes the floor with him
    Will give it a look , marched against the war in Iraq , complete asshole , and his wife

Feedback

interesting fact on R4's Today programme this am. More council houses were built in the last year of Thatcher's reign than during the whole tenure of the last Labour government.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    interesting fact on R4's Today programme this am. More council houses were built in the last year of Thatcher's reign than during the whole tenure of the last Labour government.
    Governments are never how they like to portray themselves.

The only fact that really matters is that the average house price is something like 10x the average wage. Where I live it is probably closer to 20x. Whatever has happened in the last 35 years, whether by design or accident, has not worked.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Simple economics Eric (unfortunately) especially over the last 15 years.

We have people with money that want to invest it somewhere in the hope of getting a return (nothing wrong with that)
    There are 3 places they put money, stocks and shares, Govt bonds type arrangements - or bricks and mortar).

Stocks and shares hardly been a beacon of virtue with economic environment or exactly trustworthy , some investors lost lots in the crash and had their fingers severely burned. Weve had low interest rates for a very long time now - so no return on investment there either.

The only area wher you can virtually guarantee income - whether thats rental income or income from improving a property and reselling it - is in houses / flats etc.

The end result is that the housing market has seen lots of investment in terms investment companies, pension companies and individuals (including overseas) buying up property to rent or sell. The end result is an increase in prices.

If people cant get a return on the property by selling it - they will rent it - removing the number of houses on the market - which in turn increases the price.

I dont have the answer, as you can probably gather. You cant stop companies from buying land or property.
    Whats your solution ?
    Make sure we build enough houses, which all governments harp on about but rarely actually do. It will cause some pain but my parents house is 5 times the price they bought it for in 1990 and the average wage has possibly doubled, if that.

It really is simple economics, increase supply.

Build more houses so that property companies, pension funds, foreign investors and second home investors can buy them. Building more houses per se, wont solve the problem will it.

You need to ensure that the houses being built are affordable to first time genuine buyers - how will you do that ?
    How will you get house builders to build these cheap homes for you ? - house builders build houses that make them the most money.
    How will you ensure that these amazing new cheap affordable houses built by house builders who have had their profits cut because they arent making as money from each one, how will you ensure that these then arent resold to proprty investors after 6 months ?

It is not simple - otherwise it would have been done.
    So you think if we build a shit loads of houses the average house price won't fall? Investors will keep buying them, inflating the price, in order to rent them to nobody?

Simple fact is we don't build the right houses in the right places and we don't actually build enough of anything.

The only barrier to this is whether we have the people to build them and fit them out. My mate can earn a shedload fitting carpets now because every other person is a media grad fighting for the same min wage jobs.

Feedback

Remove the green belt. That's the biggest obstacle in the way.

It will never happen of course.

Then there are those empty nesters living in perfectly decent family homes until the snuff it. Far too many homes of this nature stymie the housing market.

We have plenty enough bedrooms in the UK, they are just unoccupied

If there is still a good return on buying property / renting property / selling property - then they wil be still be seen as investment opportunities that's how markets work, when they can get better returns elsewhere - the money will flow there instead.

Obviously in your world, you will find someone to build a lovely house that the property developer will then only sell at a price of 2-3 times the average wage - because they are very kind like that.

"Simple fact is we don't build the right houses in the right places and we don't actually build enough of anything."- see above - I agree by the way - BUT ask yourself why that is again, there is a reason and that's because the return is better.
    So when houses were valued at a level closer to the average wage that wasn't because the population was lower it was because the property developers were kinder? You mentioned economics but don't seem to want to recognise the basics of supply and demand. Unfortunately where houses need to be built, there often isn't the land - as TISS says, the green belt gets in the way (unfortunately).

We are going to have to do all sorts of wacky shit post brexit (like negotiate trade deals) why don't we learn how to build some houses too.

I get the feeling moving people is easier for the government. Trying desperately to mould the north of England into some kind of rival for London - shifting business/jobs up there could ease the pressure on prices around London. Also as workplaces become less fixed, that may help. If I can work on a laptop anywhere, why pick the home counties?

As previously mentioned in this thread - who benefits by not enough properties being built. Here's a recap: winners include homeowners, the value of whose homes have rocketed, then there's the government because flipping overpriced houses is good for the country's annual GDP number, and let's not forget the City of London boys who set policy from behind the curtain, they get lots more interest on the loans they create via their fractional lending scam.

Just follow the money.

Must say the cops have sorted the problem with beggars outside Cardiff Central station asking for 50p that they're short of for their rail fare. But they've migrated to St Mary and especially Queen Street. Not surprised to learn from the article only one's genuinely homeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Must say the cops have sorted the problem with beggars outside Cardiff Central station asking for 50p that they're short of for their rail fare. But they've migrated to St Mary and especially Queen Street. Not surprised to learn from the article only one's genuinely homeless.
    I was back in Cardiff on Friday for the weekend to watch city
    and a lady copper moved a "homeless man" along on queen street who was begging
    by where the queens west place was
    I overheard her colleagues mention to each other he was wasn't homeless
    I stopped because said lady copper was kind of cute and had a cracking bum (so I pretended to tie my shoe lace)

The article says they prosecute persistent beggars, meaning they have become a right royal pain in the Aris before being placed before the magistrates, and therin's why they proliferate. A zero tolerance approach is the way to go, after all begging and vagrancy have been illegal since 1824. Everyone who's familiar with the problem all say the same - do not give them money.

I was back in Cardiff on Friday for the weekend to watch city
    and a lady copper moved a "homeless man" along on queen street who was begging
    by where the queens west place was
    I overheard her colleagues mention to each other he was wasn't homeless
    I stopped because said lady copper was kind of cute and had a cracking bum (so I pretended to tie my shoe lace)
    So, what are you trying to insinuate, that many apparent Homeless are scammers?

Perhaps you were too preoccupied with staring at the Police woman's ar$e to be sure of having assessed the situation reliably?

The vast majority of homeless people would never consider begging.. 'There is no need for anyone to be homeless in Cardiff' statement clearly doesn't include people sleepimg on setees at mates houses, overcrowded stays with family Tec. It also doesnt include rough sleepers away from town center cause I know the outreach team to which she refers is called 'The city center team' and doesnt stray far from its title.

Tackle the issue of begging is fine as long as she don't rub her hands and think that's the end of that we have no homeless.I also know that a few bods from town who beg live in homeless hostels. Technically with a roof over their head but the clues in the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimto View Post
    So, what are you trying to insinuate, that many apparent Homeless are scammers?

Perhaps you were too preoccupied with staring at the Police woman's ar$e to be sure of having assessed the situation reliably?
    I once saw a homeless man begging for a few hours, and then he got picked up in a chauffeur driven Rolls Royce that was filled with supermodels drinking Dom Perignon vintage champagne. I swear it's true cos I saw it with my own eyes, honestly I did, I really did. Oh yeah, the fella was wearing a gold Rolex too.