Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
I would say it is since the crash / recession of 2007 Ive seen a steady increase, certainly in Cardiff. Most seem to have alcohol or addiction issues - which is probably why they wont be allowed into homeless shelters etc or the Huggard charity place.

Sludge - we have a labour run council and labour run Assembly here. You cant pin everything on the conservatives or Lib Dems mate. Homelessness in Cardiff is an issue for the council and the WAG to assist with.

My mate who teachers down by the Parade caught one of his students begging a few years back, they had words - and he stopped doing it.
I used to work in housing advice and in a homeless shelter

Many people develop alcohol and drug problems after they have become homeless due to the people they are with when they are not in the night shelters or sleeping rough

As for who is responsible ? It's the Tories , the selling off of council homes , benefits changes since 2010 , the 1985 housing act , all have had a devastating effect ........and it's getting worse

The Welsh government can only work with the funds it's given by the people running the show in Westminster and that's the conservatives

Since 2010 they have slashed public services and forced local authorities to make huge cuts ......much of this has fallen on the voluntary sector who do so much to help those in housing need , those with substance abuse problems and mental ill health ........which often leads to homelessness

The charity MIND in Wales has been badly hit ......a local office by me used to offer 18 hours of open access to give advice and support ........now it's down to four