Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Since the Tories came in , rough sleepers on the streets has doubled

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Since the Tories came in , rough sleepers on the streets has doubled

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I beg to differ.

There is a bloke in my local area who has a flat yet sleeps rough.

Also the brother of an ex councillor who sleeps rough.
    People who choose life on the streets aren't really a problem. There is enough provision for the tiniest number of genuine people that genuinely choose to live in a box rather than a flat. It is provision for the rest of the rough sleepers wider homeless that's lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I beg to differ.

There is a bloke in my local area who has a flat yet sleeps rough.

Also the brother of an ex councillor who sleeps rough.
    They may have become that way inclined, but how did they start sleeping in the street, in the very first place ? A whim?
    Ok I'll rephrase my earlier post -
    Not many people willingly choose a tough life living rough on the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Lets stop discussing he says /she says re politics and talk reality

So we have someone who is on drugs/alcoholic, who is homeless, has no money, no job and needs to get off their habit.

The response is we need to build them a house, pay their rent for them , fit out the house with white goods etc then when we have done that - we need to get them off drugs, stop them drinking, get them trained up and then try and find them a job.

Have I missed anything ? end to end any idea how much that costs when everything is taken into account?

The budget is set,so there is only so much to go round, what budget would you cut to get them housed,trained,educated, clean, and employed.

Unfortunately it seems politicians of all colours dont see this as a priority - a sad fact of life.
    Maybe if councils, non Doms and large corps stop doing dodgy offshore deals there would be enough for everyone.
    I wont hold my breath
    What you've described as the answer is what is now commonly known as the 'Housing First' model. The theory and results show that the initial costs to providing housing and continued support will prevent individuals costing the public pot more in health, police and social care costs.

I'd build a sort of pre - fab estate down on Rover Way , and provide warmth and food and offer them a place ,along with minimum benefits and make it illegal to beg.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    What a bunch of tossers the conservatives are
    In the interests of balance and fairness, I would just like to point out what a bunch of tossers those Labourites and Lib Dems are.

Shipping containers are the way forward for emergency housing

cheap to buy and convert, enough space for a single person / couple, not much they can wreck ( and i have worked on council housing and house association stock for many years, they smash them to bits and when the council / housing ass take them to court from the money end up saying they can afford 50p per week and they never pay it )

I know the popular cry will be ( it looks like a prison cell ) but its a warm place to sleep with a small kitchen, all self contained and they can come and go as they like

Infact, i will go as far as the shipping container idea will be the future for people starting on the housing ladder

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Shipping containers are the way forward for emergency housing

cheap to buy and convert, enough space for a single person / couple, not much they can wreck ( and i have worked on council housing and house association stock for many years, they smash them to bits and when the council / housing ass take them to court from the money end up saying they can afford 50p per week and they never pay it )

I know the popular cry will be ( it looks like a prison cell ) but its a warm place to sleep with a small kitchen, all self contained and they can come and go as they like

Infact, i will go as far as the shipping container idea will be the future for people starting on the housing ladder
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-28035388

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    i have been banging on about container living for 24 years, since i came back from Australia, i was involved in a Scuba diving club ( i was a PADI dive instructor ) , the club had just lost its rental house and was looking at other places, they owned 4 shipping containers on some land, i said they should look at converting them to " bunk rooms " ( i had seen a guy living in one up the coast )

My brothers company almost built a development for " temp housing " in Kent, it was only going to be 30 of them in total, in 3 blocks of 5, 2 units high, with a communal courtyard / garden, the council appeared keen, but when push came to shove, it was never going to happen

Wonder how many places are like this

https://www.reddit.com/r/LateStageCa...read_from_the/

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    People who choose life on the streets aren't really a problem. There is enough provision for the tiniest number of genuine people that genuinely choose to live in a box rather than a flat. It is provision for the rest of the rough sleepers wider homeless that's lacking.
    Completely agree.

It's really sad when you think that there is nowhere for so many people to sleep away from the harsh elements.
    Summer may not be so bad but then there's still the whole "where do I keep my personal stuff and where can I was every day

Wouldn't liken to be a female on the streets, bet that gets pretty bad with their 'women's problems'

Gives me an empty feeling to know that so many people are being failed.

The ignorant among us will blame drink and drugs (often comes a little while after being homeless from experience of talking to people on streets and D&A councillors)
    Everyone deserves a roof over their head and running water...

To just blame a single political party is very short sighted ,its too complex to badge this issue , a lot of funded councils are not all Tory , how many are homeless in
    London Boroughs run by Labour ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    To just blame a single political party is very short sighted ,its too complex to badge this issue , a lot of funded councils are not all Tory , how many are homeless in
    London Boroughs run by Labour ?
    Councils have no money and are still being told they need to make cuts. Whether the council is Labour or Tory is irrelevant, what is to blame is the continual forced moulding of a selfish society where things are more important than people.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Councils have no money and are still being told they need to make cuts. Whether the council is Labour or Tory is irrelevant, what is to blame is the continual forced moulding of a selfish society where things are more important than people.
    That is certainly a big part of the problem.

If there were enough homes to go round then house prices would plummet. That would be bad news for homeowners, bad news for landlords and extremely bad news for banks who would make far less interest on mortgage loans. Money they don't actually have, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimto View Post
    They may have become that way inclined, but how did they start sleeping in the street, in the very first place ? A whim?
    Ok I'll rephrase my earlier post -
    Not many people willingly choose a tough life living rough on the streets.
    I'd be guessing if I tried to answer, maybe being anonymous has something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    If there were enough homes to go round then house prices would plummet. That would be bad news for homeowners, bad news for landlords and extremely bad news for banks who would make far less interest on mortgage loans. Money they don't actually have, by the way.
    Very interesting, and probably 100% true.

Why care if there are people on the streets as long as house prices stay high..

There are multi million pound houses in rich boroughs of London that are practically falling apart..owned by super rich Russians etc...

Banned

10 x 8 berth second hand caravans on a bit of waste land. If it's good enough for the travelling community.
    Got to be better than Queen St.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    10 x 8 berth second hand caravans on a bit of waste land. If it's good enough for the travelling community.
    Interesting thought, although the travelling community are universally disliked, they seem to be self efficient with a desire to fix their housing plight

You'll have a bit of trouble fitting a few thousand in them.

....right sentiment though.

Churches, community centres etc the possibilities are there...but you'd need people there to man them too...

Proper homes. Lots of them. Previous government's have done it.

Banned

There are 10,000 people on the housing waiting list in Cardiff.
    Any ideas?

There are 10,000 people on the housing waiting list in Cardiff.
    Any ideas?
    You should cover you're face if you think that second hand caravans are a housing policy in this day n age.

Where’s the money coming from for these new homes? Lots of them? Have you any idea how much a single new house costs even here in Wales?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Where’s the money coming from for these new homes? Lots of them? Have you any idea how much a single new house costs even here in Wales?
    Well we could always stick with the status quo and say it can't be done. Why not borrow to build homes. Its not like you won't get a return on the investment. It needs a political will. Its a big ask of course but its a big problem.