+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: v Blackpool 68/69

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: v Blackpool 68/69

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    That photo would have been taken prior to the scheduled fixture on the 18th January 1969 although I very much doubt that Clive Thomas would have been due to referee a league game involving City. The match was finally played on February 12th on a freezing night four days after our 'Match of the Day' appearance against Oxford. Like OBW I remember Tony Green being particularly impressive for Blackpool who had a strong team at the time including Alan Suddick, Jimmy Armfield and Tommy Hutchison.
    For those interested the teams were:

City: Davies, Carver, Bell, Sutton, Murray, Derrett, Jones, Clark, Lea, Toshack, Bird. sub Phillips for Clark

Blackpool: Taylor, Armfield, Bentley, Craven, James, Alcock, Brown, Green, Suddick, Johnston, Hutchison.

Scorer: Toshack (43mins). Att:24,206.
    I remember that particular game for a conversation l had at school the next day with a lad named Alun Lewis who was called up for a Lions tour some years later,a nice guy but zero allegiance to the City he had gone to the game and his comment to me was that Blackpool had been robbed and to be honest he was spot on.Got to say how random games bring memories flooding back

Back in the 80’s I’m sure City watered the pitch in order to get games called off

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Back in the 80’s I’m sure City watered the pitch in order to get games called off
    The later 80s pitch was a laugh. More sand than Django. Nigel Vaughan could still turn on a sixpence on it mind.