+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: v Blackpool 68/69

Re: v Blackpool 68/69

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    I think that was the season when we played Blackpool at their place and Barrie Jones had his leg broken and effectively ended his career, he was never the same when he recovered.
    Now you are talking about a player who was never able to fulfil his potential.
    Remember his header from the edge of the penalty are to beat Moscow Torpedo?.

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    That photo would have been taken prior to the scheduled fixture on the 18th January 1969 although I very much doubt that Clive Thomas would have been due to referee a league game involving City. The match was finally played on February 12th on a freezing night four days after our 'Match of the Day' appearance against Oxford. Like OBW I remember Tony Green being particularly impressive for Blackpool who had a strong team at the time including Alan Suddick, Jimmy Armfield and Tommy Hutchison.
    For those interested the teams were:

City: Davies, Carver, Bell, Sutton, Murray, Derrett, Jones, Clark, Lea, Toshack, Bird. sub Phillips for Clark

Blackpool: Taylor, Armfield, Bentley, Craven, James, Alcock, Brown, Green, Suddick, Johnston, Hutchison.

Scorer: Toshack (43mins). Att:24,206.

They used to get local refs to take a look at the state of pitches to prevent wasted journeys back then.

I wonder if they still do that.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Yes. He cost £22.500 from Plymouth Argyle.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    He was THE blond bombshell, very skilful winger, for a jack, definitely would have gone on to greater things if it wasn't for that injury.

" Bless Freddie Davies and Bless Peter King
    Bless Barrie Jones as he streaks down the wing ..."

Good old song.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    " Bless Freddie Davies and Bless Peter King
    Bless Barrie Jones as he streaks down the wing ..."

Good old song.
    Bless the supporters and all, we'll never be mastered by no English bastard

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    Bless the supporters and all, we'll never be mastered by no English bastard
    Lol.

You boys got years on me but I do remember Gordon Owen pictured in the programme holding a microwave which he could just about hold as the prize for a competition. Similar model to the one used under the grandstand at the time.