+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Road Tax evasion tops £100 million!

Road Tax evasion tops £100 million!

Well, well, what a surprise - Road Tax evasion exceeds £100 million!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42009111

A classic case of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. So much for efficiency.

Re: Road Tax evasion tops £100 million!

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post

Yes but they sacked loads of DVLA workers so it’s all OK mun

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    Yes but they sacked loads of DVLA workers so it’s all OK mun
    They were only Jacks

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    They were only Jacks
    How do you know some of them were not called Doris ????

The £100,000,000 was just for the last year and it's been going for 3 years.

3 times as many people not paying now as in the old days.

Tories are so prudent with public money , NOT !

And those are just the cases we know about.

So that’s 3/4 of a million tax evaders!

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    So that’s 3/4 of a million tax evaders!
    Ah but don't forget, most of them have simply "forgotten" to renew! Oh really....

Slap a healthy chunk of tax on petrol/diesel and get rid of "Road Tax" altogether.

Bingo. And everyone pay Vat on cash building jobs whilst were on crusade of truth and well meaning

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Bingo. And everyone pay Vat on cash building jobs whilst were on crusade of truth and well meaning
    As long as you have builders who offer a "discount" for cash, that's not going to happen I think.

Slap a healthy chunk of tax on petrol/diesel and get rid of "Road Tax" altogether.

Yes this is a sensible idea, it will automatically charge people who use the roads more and less efficient cars more, and will be much cheaper to manage and much harder to avoid paying.

lets say you pay £130 a year road tax, and you spend £40 a week on fuel

Under the new system you'd pay 0 in road tax and £42.50 a week on fuel.

doing a quick calculation, I think that would work out as another 7 pence on a litre of fuel.
    possibly less than that if you take out the cost of administration

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Yes this is a sensible idea, it will automatically charge people who use the roads more and less efficient cars more, and will be much cheaper to manage and much harder to avoid paying.

doing a quick calculation, I think that would work out as another 7 pence on a litre of fuel.
    Actually, working it out another way - the government gets about 7bn a year from road tax (i think) and there are 45 million litres of petrol and a little over 77 million litres of diesel sold per day, which would require an increase in fuel cost of around 13 pence to be able to scrap road tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

Yes, I agree it sounds like a great idea, and "green" too. Personally I would like it to happen very much; however my suspicion is that H.M.Gov. have done the sums and realised that too many people would indeed buy more fuel efficient cars and/or use their existing cars less, hence causing a significant drop in tax revenue. Better therefore to tax the vehicle regardless of how much the drivers use the road or drive gas-guzzlers!

To get road tax you need to have a valid MOT and insurance. Getting rid of the road tax might encourage more people to drive without an MOT or insurance. Now, if there's a new system in place to ensure that doesn't happen then great. I wouldn't be surprised if the rise in road tax dodgers is due to not having insurance or an MOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    To get road tax you need to have a valid MOT and insurance. Getting rid of the road tax might encourage more people to drive without an MOT or insurance. Now, if there's a new system in place to ensure that doesn't happen then great. I wouldn't be surprised if the rise in road tax dodgers is due to not having insurance or an MOT.
    nowadays the police can check if you have a valid mot just as easily as if you have taxed your vehicle, so it shouldn't be insurmountable

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Not if you tax it online. Insurance anyway.

I thought that the new system was meant to make an extra raise for the government cause they have never given me back the 2weeks tax owed until the end of the month my dd ran out.

Nothing new here really.This latest system of collecting road tax is a lot more accurate so the number evading is less of an estimate.But just like the new mobile phone laws they find it difficult to enforce without sufficient means to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    I have forgotten my road tax expiry date a few times, I have also noticed the increase in enforcement cars that drive around scanning number plates - and then clamp
    Bet you won't see one on Rover Way

Sounds sensible, but it will never happen.
    Vehicle Excise Duty (to give "road tax" its proper name) is not counted when calculating inflation.

Fuel is.

No party in government will want to do anything that pushes up inflation.
    Apart from the bad press, it has a knock-on effect on many other things, including benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Sounds sensible, but it will never happen.
    Vehicle Excise Duty (to give "road tax" its proper name) is not counted when calculating inflation.

Fuel is.

No party in government will want to do anything that pushes up inflation.
    Apart from the bad press, it has a knock-on effect on many other things, including benefits.
    Couldn't they also decide not to include it in inflation measures?