+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ethan Ampadu vs. Panama

Ethan Ampadu vs. Panama

In becoming the second youngest player to ever start a senior international for Wales — missing out on Gareth Bale’s record by about 10 days — 17-year-old Chelsea prospect Ethan Ampadu impressed most onlookers. Jody Morris may be a slightly biased source as coach of the Chelsea U18s, but his opinion was largely representative of the overall verdict of the youngster’s performance on Tuesday in the friendly against World Cup-bound Panama.

Of course it was just a meaningless friendly for a rather experimental Wales side — four players made their debuts in addition to Ampadu (17), Woodburn (18), and Brooks (20) all starting — against a largely unmotivated opposition (who really aren’t that great even when motivated), but just the fact that Ampadu didn’t look out of place and, as we’ve seen for Chelsea, was never shying away from the ball or contact, are positive signs.

The highlights at the top, as usual, only tell half the story, if that, since as a defensive midfielder, Ampadu’s main role is to read the game and position himself accordingly without the ball, but like his unmissable hairdo, those long passes sure catch the eye.

With two starts in the League Cup and three bench appearances in the Premier League under his belt already, the latest of which came at the expense of David Luiz, even, Ampadu is off to as good of a start as any Chelsea prospect in recent years. That’s no guarantee of any future returns, but it’s reason to be reasonably hopeful, especially as his name is often brought up by Conte.

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation....t-17-years-old

Re: Ethan Ampadu vs. Panama

He looked very good against France. Looks very accomplished

Top coaches and scouts have been saying for a while that he is the best prospect to emmerge in Britain during the past 30 years. He literally has got the world at his feet, he looks very accomplished and aurthorative for a player who has just turned 17. The question is will Chelsea be able to hang onto him, or will a bigger club come in for him?

3rd youngest? Harry Wilson is first

A loan move in January perhaps, come on Neil, make it happen!

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Now that would suit me , City

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    With Woodburn and Wilson perhaps?

Ampadu was on the bench v Man Utd in place of David Luiz. His star seems to be rising rapidly.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    He literally has got the world at his feet
    Feck me, how big are his feet?!

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Feck me, how big are his feet?!
    Figuratively speaking, quite big.

Ampadu was on the bench v Man Utd in place of David Luiz. His star seems to be rising rapidly.
    Technically yes but only because Luiz and Conte have fallen out. Not taking anything away from Ampadu but David Luiz would start in normal circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Technically yes but only because Luiz and Conte have fallen out. Not taking anything away from Ampadu but David Luiz would start in normal circumstances.
    I saw some reports that Mourinho is interested in Luiz? Thing is Ampadu is going to get a lot better, especially after he gets a few Premier League games under his belt. I noticed against Panama his long passing had improved dramatically after only one game! It's an intriguing prospect for Conte, and I think he realises that he's got a major talent waiting in the wings. He just has to manage the situation correctly.

Top coaches and scouts have been saying for a while that he is the best prospect to emmerge in Britain during the past 30 years. He literally has got the world at his feet, he looks very accomplished and aurthorative for a player who has just turned 17. The question is will Chelsea be able to hang onto him, or will a bigger club come in for him?
    The question is can Wales hold onto him?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Coleman should have capped him already, he is clearly good enough. Brooks too.

Coleman should have capped him already, he is clearly good enough. Brooks too.
    FIFA are going to change the rules regarding a "small number of caps" so it doesn't matter if Coleman gave him a token competitive game.

FIFA are going to change the rules regarding a "small number of caps" so it doesn't matter if Coleman gave him a token competitive game.
    Great news for the big countries.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Probably, I'd be surprised if England chased him and if he said yes after his caps for Wales

I don't think Brooks or Ampadu will switch now. Who was the last player to be capped by Wales (at senior level) but move on to England?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    I don't think Brooks or Ampadu will switch now. Who was the last player to be capped by Wales (at senior level) but move on to England?
    England must be pissed to lose these two and Woodburn. We did well to get all three.

Ampadu and Luiz both on the bench today!