+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What magazines do you buy ?

What magazines do you buy ?

Kerrang , weekly

Rock Sound , monthly

Metal Hammer , monthly

Classic Rock , monthly

As a kid I used to buy Sounds and NME but soon realised NME was for trendy indie students and as a man of hard rock and metal I was not defending the faith by reading it , plus it had that Stephen wells , the **** , and a shitty student letters page

A few years back I was buying sea angler and total sea fishing every month but both were just full of adverts so I binned them both

I don't , nor ever have bought razzle , fiesta , etc

Re: What magazines do you buy ?

New Statesman
    Economist
    GQ
    Sometimes I get Time
    And I read Complex and XXL online

Music wise I was a big Melody Maker fan before it but the dust. Had a bit of a lad mag phase with FHM and Loaded. Nowadays when I occasionally bother it’s usually Private Eye, Viz or When Saturday Comes.

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    New Statesman
    Economist
    GQ
    Sometimes I get Time
    I forgot private eye

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I forgot private eye
    I don't read it much tbh... that reminds me... I gotta pick up this month's GQ

Just Private Eye these days.

Loved the old Melody Maker too but gave up when Punk sort of killed
    it off.

Prog Rock for me plus Hendrix and a few Indie bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Music wise I was a big Melody Maker fan before it but the dust. Had a bit of a lad mag phase with FHM and Loaded. Nowadays when I occasionally bother it’s usually Private Eye, Viz or When Saturday Comes.
    Viz still has its moments , I will never forget jellyhead

When Saturday comes is always a good read , stuffs it up the premier league which is always good to hear

Used to Sounds.

Read newspapers now more than mags, although I do like Private Eye and the Mrs gets those trashy Hello! Type things which are great to flick through when you’re having a dump

Kerrang , weekly

Rock Sound , monthly

Metal Hammer , monthly

Classic Rock , monthly

As a kid I used to buy Sounds and NME but soon realised NME was for trendy indie students and as a man of hard rock and metal I was not defending the faith by reading it , plus it had that Stephen wells , the **** , and a shitty student letters page

A few years back I was buying sea angler and total sea fishing every month but both were just full of adverts so I binned them both

I don't , nor ever have bought razzle , fiesta , etc
    it was NME during the 90s for me sludge (bloody ell that's eons ago now)
    but for the reason it wasn't for you

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Used to Sounds.

Read newspapers now more than mags, although I do like Private Eye and the Mrs gets those trashy Hello! Type things which are great to flick through when you’re having a wank
    Put that one right for you

Guitar Techniques (got every issue)
    Total Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Guitar Techniques (got every issue)
    Total Guitar
    The guitar is the best invention since women

Steve Howe , Richard Thompson , Jeff beck , Hendrix, Page , Lifeson , Clapton , Iommi , Satriani , Blackmore , Van Helen , Steve Hackett , the new metal heads

The guitar is the best invention since women

Steve Howe , Richard Thompson , Jeff beck , Hendrix, Page , Lifeson , Clapton , Iommi , Satriani , Blackmore , Van Helen , Steve Hackett , the new metal heads
    Add David Gilmour and Gary Moore

Quote Originally Posted by I.8.POLITICAL.CORRECTNESS View Post
    Add David Gilmour and Gary Moore
    The list of great guitarists is endless

My friend came over to my house earlier and I showed him my collection of music magazines. After he left I noticed that a few had gone missing. In future I'll keep my friends close and my nme's even closer.

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    My friend came over to my house earlier and I showed him my collection of music magazines. After he left I noticed that a few had gone missing. In future I'll keep my friends close and my nme's even closer.

Golf monthly now and again

Magazines are on their arse. We are constantly under pressure in the print industry to cut prices as publishers are struggling because they are practically giving adverts away.

Advertising in a magazine is old hat. You can reach a much larger audience online.

The lies publishers tell to potential advertisers is off the scale. We’ve had 50,000 inserts sent in for a magazine with a 2000 print run!!!

In addition to my earlier comment, Family Tree magazine and Your Family History for both of which I write articles.

The New Yorker, Vanity Fair (both for the Mrs).

I can't remember the last time I read a magazine.

When Saturday Comes
    Private Eye.
    Q
    Sunday Times its as big as a Magazine lol.

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    New Statesman
    Economist
    GQ
    Sometimes I get Time
    No Razzle?

When I was younger I used to buy loads of mags, on all sorts of subjects, fishing stuff, IT stuff, music stuff Current affairs stuff. Stuff about .. stuff.
    I would also head to Smiths whenever anywhere near, just to read mags off the shelf and put them back.

Before the Internet, that is how we got to immerse ourselves in things we were interested in. Simple as.

Slightly more recently I was subscribed to Time, but t'internet seems to have put an end to that too.
    Probably not for the better TBH.

My old loves were

Sounds
    NME
    Melody Maker
    Tit-bits ( for the pot lyrics)
    Freeman's catalogue ( underwear sections)
    The Lady

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Magazines are on their arse. We are constantly under pressure in the print industry to cut prices as publishers are struggling because they are practically giving adverts away.

Advertising in a magazine is old hat. You can reach a much larger audience online.

The lies publishers tell to potential advertisers is off the scale. We’ve had 50,000 inserts sent in for a magazine with a 2000 print run!!!
    What really winds me up is when you spend £5 on the thing, read an article then they print “to read more on this go to www.......”