Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Chris Coleman resigns as Wales manager to take over Sunderland

Re: Chris Coleman resigns as Wales manager to take over Sunderland

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Osian Roberts , continuity

He's behind much of the success anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Osian Roberts would be the FAWs choice as he would be cheap.
    Question is whether he'd want it and imo he'd be more effective being the no. 2.

My guess is they will go for a cheap option who is willing to listen to OR (much like CC) and can front the press and the cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by emjayblue View Post
    Yeah, I would back Bellamy myself too. As a regular viewer of the Debate show on Sky Sports, Bellemy has a regular Wednesday night spot and he comes across as very articulate not only on all matters domestically but also Champions League and International Football. The FAW have previous for giving ex welsh players their first managerial positions in Hughes and Speed so it would be a good shout. I think it is vital that we keep Osian Roberts in his current role whoever is appointed though.

A much more controversial shout would be big Sam, currently out of work, and possibly highly motivated to stick 2 fingers up to the English FA to prove he can be a success as an international manager. I personally don't subscribe to the notion of the Wales manager having to be welsh. In my book our next manager should be the best qualified person to take us forward.
    Bellamy hasn't managed at all. Wants to work with the youth side of things, so no experience managing at senior level.

Bellamy for me would be too much like Hughes - too pally with the the players. There needs to be some detachment. That for me is why Toshack in his last stint was so underrated - Hughes played favourites to the detriment of the team. Looking to maybe sneak an away goal in Russia? Hartson as usual knackered, 5 minutes to go? Do you bring on the pace of Earnie, who was scoring goals in a poor Prem side or do you bring on Nathan ****ing Blake?

Toshack had to blow all that crap up, stop relying on the older players living in a comfort zone. Sure, some worked, some didn't but longer term his much derided reign enabled us to take massive leaps forward.

I agree it needs to be the best qualified manager. I don't think we'd lack too many candidates - ok, issues up front and Williams will need replacing soon but there's a lot of quality in this side most Euro nations don't have in Rambo, Allen and Bale. The youngsters coming through too would make this job one quite a few managers would want.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Bellamy hasn't managed at all. Wants to work with the youth side of things, so no experience managing at senior level.
    But neither had Hughes or more pertinently Speed at the time of their appointments.

Speedo also managed to deal with the aspect of not selecting his 'mates' and I firmly believe Bellers would do what he felt was in the best interests of the team regards selection/opposition at all times. He's got faults of course but I have no doubts he would be very single minded in this respect.

He is also a great advocate of giving youth a chance, you only have to listen to him on that Debate show to realise that. His lack of experience is a bit of a concern of course but with Osian alongside him, I believe given time, that combination has the ability to take us forward. However, with my Cardiff City hat on i'm not sure Bellers would be able to take on this role alongside his current part time role at our club and he will be a big loss to us. So from a selfish viewpoint I won't be to gutted should he get overlooked this time!

Bellers and Osh

Thanks for the summer of love 2016 - He'll always be appreciated for that. The best time I've had as a football supporter which is all I can ask.

I fear for him at Sunderland - the fella even forgot his passport when travelling abroad once. He has always come across as a bit Tim nice but dim. But as others have said he can't lose - fail and he can blame the clubs malaise, get them safe and he may get bigger fish offers next season.

As for next Wales boss. Not Giggs!!!! The bloke was an exceptional footballer for Manchester United but he appears to be a slime of a being as a fella and his Welsh commitment has always been questionable.

Pulis for me or why not Warnock.......

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post

Bellamy for me would be too much like Hughes - too pally with the the players. There needs to be some detachment. That for me is why Toshack in his last stint was so underrated - Hughes played favourites to the detriment of the team. Looking to maybe sneak an away goal in Russia? Hartson as usual knackered, 5 minutes to go? Do you bring on the pace of Earnie, who was scoring goals in a poor Prem side or do you bring on Nathan ****ing Blake?

Toshack had to blow all that crap up, stop relying on the older players living in a comfort zone. Sure, some worked, some didn't but longer term his much derided reign enabled us to take massive leaps forward.

I agree it needs to be the best qualified manager. I don't think we'd lack too many candidates - ok, issues up front and Williams will need replacing soon but there's a lot of quality in this side most Euro nations don't have in Rambo, Allen and Bale. The youngsters coming through too would make this job one quite a few managers would want.
    I doubt that, he is an extremely single minded character who would love to manage Wales.

I reckon I could manage Wales , Pick Bale and Ramsey when fit. Job done. The rest stick their names in a hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I doubt that, he is an extremely single minded character who would love to manage Wales.

I reckon I could manage Wales , Pick Bale and Ramsey when fit. Job done. The rest stick their names in a hat.
    I reckon I could manage Scotland. Pick anyone and lose. Job done.

Martin O’Neil and Roy Keane Dreamteam for me

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post

Add to that list Joe Allen and that is what Cookie did but it worked

There's no competitive game for almost a year. He'll be sacked by then.