+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chris Coleman resigns as Wales manager to take over Sunderland

Re: Chris Coleman resigns as Wales manager to take over Sunderland (Sky sources)

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    It's all a grand plan.

Coleman goes there on a nice little contract, they get relegated, pay him off millions when they sack him, then he comes back next August for the EURO qualifiers.

Simples.

Bellamy and dutch ray as a duo

Re: Chris Coleman resigns as Wales manager to take over Sunderland (Sky sources)

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I would like that

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post

..wait you're being serious aren't you...

Re: Coleman gone!

Quote Originally Posted by emjayblue View Post
    Rumours were correct then.
    "shes a witch"

How so? If you beat another club does that make you bigger than them? If you win more games over a season are you bigger than all the clubs beneath you?

Re: Chris Coleman resigns as Wales manager to take over Sunderland

Surely it is based on results.
    How so? If you beat another club does that make you bigger than them? If you win more games over a season are you bigger than all the clubs beneath you?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I'd argue that attendances are the ONLY thing that make a big club, you can be a big club without being successful, you can be successful without bing a big club. Leicester won the league and played in the Champions League. It may have made them famous briefly, but it hasn't made them a bigger club.

Who's the bigger club? Last place in the Championship Sunderland? Or 7th in the Premier League Burnley? Sunderland are a bigger club than half of the Premier League IMO.
    I guess we all have our own definition of what makes a club bigger. I'd probably argue that at present Burnley are a bigger club than Sunderland. Would you describe Leeds as a big club? They haven't seen the top flight for 14 seasons, have spent more time over the last 40 years outside the top division than in it and, prior an 18 year run in the top division in the 60s and 70s, again were outside the top flight more than they were in it. Some people seem to regard Nottingham Forest as a big club, yet they've not been in the top division for 20 years now.

Conversely, Chelsea were a yo-yo team between the top two tiers for decades. Historically they can hardly be described as a big club, yet their last 20 years have been, by a significant margin, their most successful and I doubt many would say they're not a big club.

Big clubs with little recent success are Newcastle , Sunderland , Everton , Leeds , Pompey , west ham , spurs , etc

Potentially we could be a big club with little success but we are no bigger than Coventry , Blackburn rovers , Bolton etc

Define success though Sludge - I'd suggest Spurs have been successful without winning trophies.

This move (if confirmed) looks bad for Coleman and for Wales - and unlikely to transform Sunderland. Depressing on so many levels!

I'd argue that attendances are the ONLY thing that make a big club, you can be a big club without being successful, you can be successful without bing a big club. Leicester won the league and played in the Champions League. It may have made them famous briefly, but it hasn't made them a bigger club.

Who's the bigger club? Last place in the Championship Sunderland? Or 7th in the Premier League Burnley? Sunderland are a bigger club than half of the Premier League IMO.
    How does Sunderland's turnover compare with Burnley?

Coleman will always be remembered for the glory of Euro 2016 I wish him well

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    To be fair, his club record isn’t that great.
    Did nothing at Fulham, Real Sociedad or Coventry.

Think he only got the Wales job as we needed someone to take over from Gary Speed and he seemed the best person to do so.

Can’t blame him for taking the money.
    Read fulham finished 9th? Ive not checked where they were the season before because I'm tucked into tomorrow's breakfast Chinese as I type so prioritised that..off memory I think they finished about 6th one year didn't they? Maybe 9th wasn't good enough.

As can't edit previous post..c+p job...

Edit..

02/3 Jean Tigiana/Coleman 14th..
    3/4 Coleman 9th
    4/5 Coleman 13th
    5/6 Coleman 12th
    6/7 Coleman/Lawrie Sanchez 16th
    7/8 Sanchez/Woy 17th

FAW bunch of muppets since I can remember and nothing has changed or will change any time soon.

The king is dead... long live the king

I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing a slightly different direction being taken with maybe a manager who can improve our attacking a bit more. Hopefully there'll be continuity, but what about Ryan Gi- uh, oh. Never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Coleman will always be remembered for the glory of Euro 2016 I wish him well
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Define success though Sludge - I'd suggest Spurs have been successful without winning trophies.
    Fair point although they have won the fa cup and Carling cup in recent seasons

Don't like them as a club mind , them , arsenal , Everton , united and Liverpool were responsible for the greed of the premier league , I want those teams to lose every game they ever play

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    How does Sunderland's turnover compare with Burnley?
    Since the premier league came in its a difficult arguement , the greedy bunch make very little from gate money compared to the TV deals

It's why clubs outside the top six will do anything to stay up or try to get back up as soon as possible , it's great to see the likes of Burnley up there pissing off the big boys although of course historically Burnley were a big club

Sunderland obviously although the drop off in their home support is very noticeable when they drop out of the greedy league

Not as big a club as Newcastle but a very big club

Thanks Chris

And good luck. You'll need it .

I think I mentioned on here after the Panama game that I said, with very little confidence, that I thought it was 60/40 in favour of Coleman staying with Wales. When I said that, there were some who thought that I was misjudging things and that the odds had to be in favour of us needing a new manager soon, but one thing that there was complete agreement on was that he shouldn't touch the Sunderland job with a bargepole - I reckon the fact that he's gone there says that Wales' failure to qualify for at least the Play Offs counted against him in a few Boardrooms throughout Britain and mainland Europe.

As for who replaces Coleman, I'd go for Osion Roberts, but I would have thought that the same issues about employing some support staff on a permanent basis would exist with him as they did with Coleman. I just hope the FAW don't think they need to make a "celebrity" appointment to try and get fans and players back onside - someone like Ryan Giggs would be a disaster, because a significant number of supporters would never accept him because he is blighted by this strong impression that his club picked and chose the matches he played for his country and he was happy to go along with such an arrangement.

If Roberts wanted to be Wales manager then surely he would have had the job after Speed ?

I get the feeling he's a coach not a manager.

I'm not keen on Giggs, but would give him more of a chance than most.

Pulis is only an option if he's sacked by WBA otherwise compensation rules us out.

I thought Carl Robinson, but confused him with Karl Robinson 😂

Definitely NOT 'dog shit' Dean Saunders or that knob Allardyce

Others like Henry or Bellamy or Williams ( bit of a silly shout as he's still playing in the Prem) are a massive gamble.

Bowen I put forward before Coleman was appointed, but as mentioned he's always been a no 2

We need to remember that being an international manager takes different skills to a club one.

You are pretty much stuck with what you've got and only get a short time with players.

Man management and tactics are all important- and probably a softer approach is needed as players are risking their careers to play for you , for little financial reward.

I've a sneaky feeling Bellamy may be the new Wales manager.

Yeah, I would back Bellamy myself too. As a regular viewer of the Debate show on Sky Sports, Bellemy has a regular Wednesday night spot and he comes across as very articulate not only on all matters domestically but also Champions League and International Football. The FAW have previous for giving ex welsh players their first managerial positions in Hughes and Speed so it would be a good shout. I think it is vital that we keep Osian Roberts in his current role whoever is appointed though.

A much more controversial shout would be big Sam, currently out of work, and possibly highly motivated to stick 2 fingers up to the English FA to prove he can be a success as an international manager. I personally don't subscribe to the notion of the Wales manager having to be welsh. In my book our next manager should be the best qualified person to take us forward.