+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chris Coleman resigns as Wales manager to take over Sunderland

Chris Coleman resigns as Wales manager to take over Sunderland

Breaking news

Coleman gone!

Rumours were correct then.

Re: Chris Coleman resigns as Wales manager to take over Sunderland (Sky sources)

Crazy

Must have been offered silly money

Re: Chris Coleman resigns as Wales manager to take over Sunderland (Sky sources)

From The Guardian

Chris Coleman has agreed to become the new Sunderland manager. The 47-year-old is expected to be confirmed as Simon Grayson’s successor over the weekend in what will be a major boost for Sunderland and a huge blow for the Football Association of Wales, which had hoped to persuade Coleman to sign a new contract.

The FAW held a board meeting on Friday to discuss his position, with both parties previously involved in lengthy talks about extending the deal that expired at the end of this month, but Coleman has decided that the time is right to return to club management and has agreed to take the plunge with Sunderland.

His appointment is something of a coup for Sunderland, who are bottom of the Championship and staring at the prospect of back-to-back relegations. Robbie Stockdale will remain in charge in a caretaker capacity for Saturday’s home game against Millwall, with Coleman set to be in the dugout for the first time on Tuesday night, when Sunderland travel to Aston Villa.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Crazy

Must have been offered silly money
    Silly money or no support from FAW?

He will be sacked by Sunderland before Wales next meaningful international match.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Silly money or no support from FAW?
    I still say silly money. Why else would you take a club at the bottom of the championship? He was talking about managing a champions league club the other day!!!

Must have been misinterpreted

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I still say silly money. Why else would you take a club at the bottom of the championship? He was talking about managing a champions league club the other day!!!

Must have been misinterpreted
    You’re probably right but sounds like a bad move for him. Still think he’ll end up down west

I was a bit of a Coleman supporter, but got fed up of the will he wont he go at the end, i guess it depends on who Wales replaces him with to judge any disappointment or not. I think he taken a poisoned chalice though, and will regret in the not too distant future.

Re: Coleman gone!

No surprise really.
    FAW only pay peanuts compared to any half-decent club.

There was something to them rumour on social media last night then! I'm on a roll that and Rolf in the last few weeks

Banned

Good luck to the bloke, he provided me with the best sporting moments a supporter can wish for.
    Let's hope he has a successful reign at Sunderland, he deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Good luck to the bloke, he provided me with the best sporting moments a supporter can wish for.
    He deserves it.

They don’t deserve him.

Basket case of a club.

He will be gone within months.

Not peanuts but not enough when others are able to afford much more

Indeed. I think that he may be appreciated more in retrospect as he doesn't seem to have the credit he is due, in my opinion.

Oh dear !

Chris good luck but this is not a good move , in my know nothing opinion.

Which ****wit will the FAW appoint now on twice Coleman's wages ?

Thank you very much Chris for all you did to raise Welsh football from the gutter.

Next Wales manager ?

Thanks Chris.

You will be followed by a numpty.

Great step up for him, from euros semi finals to bottom of championship.

Re: Next Wales manager ?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    Thanks Chris.

You will be followed by a numpty.
    Clever money on Thierry Henry.

Re: Chris Coleman resigns as Wales manager to take over Sunderland

Its a ( gum ) move.

I was reminded when welsh fans hated him , he mentioned that the other day on the radio ,certainly City fans had a special name for him ,Jill's brother born of unmarried parents, if I recall

To be fair, his club record isn’t that great.
    Did nothing at Fulham, Real Sociedad or Coventry.

Think he only got the Wales job as we needed someone to take over from Gary Speed and he seemed the best person to do so.

Can’t blame him for taking the money.

Banned

Re: Next Wales manager ?

Ryan Giggs put your house/caravan on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Indeed. I think that he may be appreciated more in retrospect as he doesn't seem to have the credit he is due, in my opinion.
    Don’t think it’s anything to do with lack of appreciation, just that most think he’s taken a poor job.

It’s a safe option for him

Ryan Giggs put your house/caravan on it.
    Unfortunately the FAW probably got him on speed dial.