+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coleman to Sunderland- surely all about money ?

Coleman to Sunderland- surely all about money ?

Or... is it a shrewd move to leave now as he achieved more than he/we could ever have hoped for in the Euros then failed with a pretty insipid effort in the World Cup qualifying in what was in all fairness a pretty weak group.

If he'd stayed and we'd had another poor qualifier then it would have spoiled his record and he would struggle to get another job.

Given how heavily we've relied on Bale, Ramsey and Allen all being fit then maybe it makes sense for him.

But SUNDERLAND, surely he could do better.

Mind you,by the comments I've read it seems the Mackams aren't exactly ecstatic about the appointment anyway.

I'm sure he'll get the best reception he'd ever had at a Cardiff game when he comes down in Jan.

Re: Coleman to Sunderland- surely all about money ?

You’ve got it in one haven’t you. I wanted him to stay but I thought that he would go with his head held high and with the thanks and respect of the fans if he had a good offer. It’s just because it’s bloody Sunderland that people are cheesed off.

The good thing I suppose is that if the FAW get someone in sharpish, they new man has the best part of a year before we play any competitive games.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Or... is it a shrewd move to leave now as he achieved more than he/we could ever have hoped for in the Euros then failed with a pretty insipid effort in the World Cup qualifying in what was in all fairness a pretty weak group.

If he'd stayed and we'd had another poor qualifier then it would have spoiled his record and he would struggle to get another job.

Given how heavily we've relied on Bale, Ramsey and Allen all being fit then maybe it makes sense for him.

Mind you,by the comments I've read it seems the Mackams aren't exactly ecstatic about the appointment anyway.

I'm sure he'll get the best reception he'd ever had at a Cardiff game when he comes down in Jan.
    Definitely a good escape route.

Initially I thought Coleman must be mad but when you think about it the move isn't that bad. If Coleman manages to keep Sunderland up he will be regarded as a success. If they get relegated the general view will be that he went to a basket case of a club at rock bottom in the Championship and a drop to League 1 is more to do with the owner than the manager. It seems to me that Coleman is in a win win situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post

you are right, my mrs was surprised he has gone to them, i attempted to explain why i thought he had

lets be honest, with the group of players he had, it wasnt that much of a achievement to qualify for the euro's, he stuck lucky at the right time, Bale in most teams would have meant a " foot in the door " , added to it the other players hitting it at the right time, then the " together stronger " feeling, it all came together for him

This last WC qualifiers, showed Cookie had little of a plan b, when a player or 2 was out, that was it, we were average at best ( small country and all that, small pot of players to pick from etc etc )

Coleman stated publicly that he was leaving after the world cup. However it hasnt turned out how he has liked.

Despite his success the general attitude is that the players have achieved this without much input from the manager. Ideally Coleman wanted the kind of attention Micheal O'Neil is getting at the moment and to move into another, better job.

However the only job open to him at the moment is the the level of Sunderland, a big club, but in serious trouble.

If he stayed on with Wales its another 2 years, for the euros and with no guarantee that his stock will rise.

He has left Wales in a good shape. Managers will fancy this job. He's left at the right time for Wales, with a clear schedule and time to appoint, and possibly the right time for himself as well.

I wish him all the best and thank him for the memories.