+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Brentford memories

Brentford memories

7 mins 35 into this video

Jason Fowler

Re: Brentford memories

Getting locked out up there on Boxing Day and the ensuing trouble around the ground.

Hi Mike... got a shorter clip here of it off the club Instagram page.

Hopefully we can win the ball in midfield like that all day long today...
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BbhSQHgDPkI/

I had my Vincent Tan moment as a 6 year old in 1971 when promotion chasing City lost at home 0-2 to fourth division Brentford in the F A Cup. It just didn't seem possible to me that a class team like the Bluebirds could lose to a side two divisions lower. Once I got to grips with it though it sort of set my default pessimism level at the necessary level for the 47 years to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    I had my Vincent Tan moment as a 6 year old in 1971 when promotion chasing City lost at home 0-2 to fourth division Brentford in the F A Cup. It just didn't seem possible to me that a class team like the Bluebirds could lose to a side two divisions lower. Once I got to grips with it though it sort of set my default pessimism level at the necessary level for the 47 years to date.
    I was there that day, though ten years older than you.
    We had beaten Div 3 Brighton 1-0 in the previous round, in what must have been one of the most boring games ever seen at NP.
    Total disbelief after the Brentford game was the overriding emotion.

Yes I remember that game as well. I think there was an egg chasers match on as well, yet we had well over 20K. I was gutted that day, the times when the FA Cup meant a lot. ps are you sure it was 2-0? Thought it was 3-2 but my memory is not as it was.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Yes I remember that game as well. I think there was an egg chasers match on as well, yet we had well over 20K. I was gutted that day, the times when the FA Cup meant a lot. ps are you sure it was 2-0? Thought it was 3-2 but my memory is not as it was.
    Def 2-0

One of my favourite City kits

My Honeymoon was a few days in Bournemouth, being the romantic that I am, I had planned it that we would call in at Griffin Park for the city game on the way home, we won 2-1

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    7 mins 35 into this video

Jason Fowler

that goal is all I got from Brentford memories Jason fowlers goal wow 1999 is it really that long ago in my mind its further out though
    he was a decent player he was Jason Fowler

and the year before we matched the mighty arsenal all over the pitch in a 0-0 fa cup third round match.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    and the year before we matched the mighty arsenal all over the pitch in a 0-0 fa cup third round match.
    Sorry to be such a pedant Ian, but that Arsenal match was two seasons earlier in 68/69. In 69/70, we were drawn at Fourth Division York City in the Third Round and needed an own goal by their captain Barry Swallow to draw 1-1. I it was the same score in the replay at Ninian Park and then they beat us 3-1 at St. Andrews I think it was in the Second Replay. I only saw the match down here, but I can remember reading after we were beaten that York were the better team in all three of the matches.

So, the Brentford game was the second consecutive year that Scoular's team that spent three seasons in the promotion hunt and beat Real Madrid on the back of a run to the Semi Finals of the Cup Winner's Cup in 67/68 came a cropper to a team from the basement in the FA Cup - my main memory of that Brentford game was that, like yesterday, it pissed down for most of the match. Back then, I thought City played to their max in every game, but it seems that, just like today, some matches were higher priority than others.

That's not nugent's goal!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    My uncle had only started taking me down the city that season, and all I remember about the Brighton game was just how fantastic it was to be watching a live football match with so many other people. But after the 1-0 win the disappointment when we weren't presented with the cup! I was really upset. More so than when we eventually lost in the final to Pompey. Oh to be a six year old again!! Still can't work out how we lost o Brentford in the next round.My uncle passed away years ago and he was such a big influence on my life, and I.ll always be so grateful to him for introducing me at such a young age to Cardiff City which has always been ever since been an integral part of my life just as it was for him.