+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Why no commentary on radio Wales Fm?

Why no commentary on radio Wales Fm?

?

Re: Why no commentary on radio Wales Fm?

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    ?
    There is, and Georgia aren't lying down, I tell thee.

Blog Entries

Crap innit

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    ?
    What, with Wales vs Georgia on at the same time - surprised you even asked! Get iFollow - it's good.

In the last few seasons Radio Wales have had football commentary on FM even if Wales were egg chasing - that went on MW. Now they just have blanket coverage of egg.

This can’t be right can it? All our games are on normally on FM. Was our game on DAB?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    This can’t be right can it? All our games are on normally on FM. Was our game on DAB?
    No.

Radio Wales have clearly had a shift of policy during the summer. When there's a Welsh rugby game on they broadcast it over all the network, no splitting of FM and MW for rugby. Also, Rob Phillips has been a regular Swansea commentator this season, hardly done a City match. Not that he's the greatest commentator ever, but he's a million miles better than Poyser and the even more woeful Simon Davies, as they are both crap. Phillips is getting the top jobs this season. Perhaps that's by his request and he's looking to further his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    No.

Radio Wales have clearly had a shift of policy during the summer. When there's a Welsh rugby game on they broadcast it over all the network, no splitting of FM and MW for rugby. Also, Rob Phillips has been a regular Swansea commentator this season, hardly done a City match. Not that he's the greatest commentator ever, but he's a million miles better than Poyser and the even more woeful Simon Davies, as they are both crap. Phillips is getting the top jobs this season. Perhaps that's by his request and he's looking to further his career.
    I hadn’t realised. Well that’s bloody idiotic. Commentary on a second string wales rugby friendly against a third rate nation that was on telly anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    I hadn’t realised. Well that’s bloody idiotic. Commentary on a second string wales rugby friendly against a third rate nation that was on telly anyway.
    More so when they could have split the airways (as they advertise).

Could it be anything to do with the new deal with Talkshite whereby they get all of the Football League radio commentary? Given that I don't remember hearing a commentary from a Football League game on Radio Five all season, we should be grateful for what we still get on Radio Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    No.

Listening to Radio Wales en-route to our game, they announced that the egg was on FM & Medium wave and we were on DAB in SE Wales, whilst the vermin were on DAB in SW Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Could it be anything to do with the new deal with Talkshite whereby they get all of the Football League radio commentary? Given that I don't remember hearing a commentary from a Football League game on Radio Five all season, we should be grateful for what we still get on Radio Wales.
    Talksport have national radio rights for the Football League. Radio Wales have local radio rights, hence they can only broadcast within the localities of the teams they cover. This isn't a precise art and relies on transmitter locations and coverage. I read somewhere that some local transmitters in South East Wales aren't able to broadcast City games as they broadcast the digital TV feed instead of relaying from Wenvoe.

My understanding is that nationwide radio rights are dealt with by the FA and money is distributed in some form to all of the league clubs (by national radio that means across the UK). I believe local radio rights are handled by the clubs themselves, which is why there's a mixture of BBC and independent stations covering local football.

Prior to Radio Wales "splitting the airwaves", they used to cover one match only and broadcast it across Wales. I've never worked out what rights they had back then, especially as the likes of Real Radio and Touch AM had our local rights; Swansea Sound (later The Wave) often had Swansea's local rights.

In recent seasons, when Cardiff have been the only team playing (and to a lesser extent Newport), Radio Wales have tended to broadcast the game across Wales. They've not been allowed to do the same with Swansea's games because Premier League rights are more stringent. Now commercial national radio have got the rights to cover all Football League games to a national audience, I suspect the days of Radio Wales broadcasting a Cardiff game across Wales, if we're the only team playing, are at an end.

I wonder what the situation is in Scotland? They have the UK-wide coverage for Radio 5 and Talkshite. I'm guessing they have national rights across Scotland for the SPFL in addition to clubs negotiating their own local rights. As Cardiff, Swansea, Newport and Wrexham don't compete in the Welsh football pyramid, I doubt there's a national rights package for just Wales, broadcasting in English as it would be competition for Talksport. Radio Cymru would probably be exempt as they provide Welsh-language coverage and would not be competition.

That's my understanding of the whole situation with a couple of questions thrown in. If anyone is in-the-know and I've made some mistakes, I'd genuinely like to know as I find things like this fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by 61adb View Post
    Listening to Radio Wales en-route to our game, they announced that the egg was on FM & Medium wave and we were on DAB in SE Wales, whilst the vermin were on DAB in SW Wales.
    Bit shit if you haven't got DAB, though less and less radios these days have AM/MW and, while I'm happy for the egg to be demoted, I can understand why Radio Wales are now using FM for the egg chasers simply because some won't be able to receive it.

Thanks for the explanation Eric. I think this is the first time we've been shunted off the airwaves totally for the egg. Evenings are the same with football coverage severely restricted. I understand what you say about rights etc but i cant help feeling that a change of editor in the summer has brought about a change in policy towards football at BBC Wales. I live down West and can always get 2nd and 3rd tier football broadcast by Radio Devon on fm and mw.
    I thought the phone in last night was embarassing if you were an egg chaser. A couple of clearly anti football eggers and that was it for them. I do hope the CallRob phone in will continue as it is clearly popular amongst us football fans.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    i cant help feeling that a change of editor in the summer has brought about a change in policy towards football at BBC Wales.
    I have the same feelings. There is a lot more rugby coverage on Radio Wales prior to 3pm than there used to be. However, it's highly unlikely that we will go back down the road of stopping football commentaries because some 6th division side have a line-out on their own 22, simply because more people are interested in listening to local football commentaries.

I fail to see what Radio Wales gains by shoving the egg on FM. Would it get many casual listeners? I would have thought those who were interested in the game would be watching it at home, the pub etc. Those likely to want radio coverage are going to be in a car where AM is almost always available. They could always put it on DAB. I would expect more people to listen to Swansea and Cardiff on the radio than would listen to the Welsh game simply because the rugby was widely available on TV, while there was no other coverage of Swansea or Cardiff other than going to the game (or being in the know for a stream).

Egg crowd 55000, City 15000, get down to Stadium to watch game, plenty of room?

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Egg crowd 55000, City 15000, get down to Stadium to watch game, plenty of room?
    True 20,000 spaces at the Eggfest and 16,000 at CCS.

City crowd was 16,500 actually.