+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More than one way to skin a cat.

Re: More than one way to skin a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    👍 Similar style seems to be working for Burnley

An even more direct approach worked for Stoke and West Brom under Pulis too, although I'd say the current Mark Hughes style is more like Warnocks and is doing OK with the players they have got.

Would you also agree that Leicester's league winners played in a similar fast tempo counter attack style.

Morgan and Huth aren't exactly dainty.

Without incredible resources then I'd say this style has as good a chance of competing in the Prem as any.
    I tend to agree that Warnocks style may just rattle a few teams, certainly in the short term. Teams in the bottom half of the prem are not that good. God forbid if we were promoted i think he could not help himself and he would give it one more shot particularly if the board continues to support him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    👍 Similar style seems to be working for Burnley

An even more direct approach worked for Stoke and West Brom under Pulis too, although I'd say the current Mark Hughes style is more like Warnocks and is doing OK with the players they have got.

Would you also agree that Leicester's league winners played in a similar fast tempo counter attack style.

Morgan and Huth aren't exactly dainty.

Without incredible resources then I'd say this style has as good a chance of competing in the Prem as any.
    Stoke have certainly toned the more direct aspect of their game down in recent seasons, that's one of the reasons Pulis went. West Brom are atrocious, and are sinking fast, I watched the game against Southampton a few weeks back, and they were dire, i'd say that Pulis is more extreme than Warnock. Leicester were high tempo, especially in midfield, where they pressed and released the ball quickly, and supported Vardy, I wouldn't have them down as direct, and I can't remember anyone else really accusing them of being so (correct me if i'm wrong) I've not really seen Burnley, so can't comment. I'm not knocking it, Warnock is doing a great job, and for the first time in a long time, I look forward to games. Can't quite understand why the crowds aren't bigger and the fans aren't more vocal, there does seem to be a hang over of some sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Stoke have certainly toned the more direct aspect of their game down in recent seasons, that's one of the reasons Pulis went. West Brom are atrocious, and are sinking fast, I watched the game against Southampton a few weeks back, and they were dire, i'd say that Pulis is more extreme than Warnock. Leicester were high tempo, especially in midfield, where they pressed and released the ball quickly, and supported Vardy, I wouldn't have them down as direct, and I can't remember anyone else really accusing them of being so (correct me if i'm wrong) I've not really seen Burnley, so can't comment. I'm not knocking it, Warnock is doing a great job, and for the first time in a long time, I look forward to games. Can't quite understand why the crowds aren't bigger and the fans aren't more vocal, there does seem to be a hang over of some sorts.
    I honestly think Leicester's high tempo game I should more like our play now than Pulis's Stoke ((not that I had any problem with that).

We don't even have a genuine target man.
    None of Zohore, Bogle or Ward are particularly good in the air, in fact they are all much better on the floor as are our other main attacking threats.. Hoillet and NML

Our centre halfs are similar to Leicester mind 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I don't think anyone is advocating a 'tippy tappy' style, just making observations about the kind of football Warnock likes to play, and it is direct. His main focus is the get the ball forward as quickly as possible, turn defenders and pressurise them high up the pitch, nothing wrong with that, it's worked for him for years, and it's working now, and it's entertaining, especially when the creative aspect, like working a goal, comes to fruition. Like you, i'm thoroughly enjoying it, it's crude, but very entertaining.

Where it does fall down, is at a higher level, where defenders are better, or teams can retain possession for longer periods. Teams that play this style may prosper in the short term, but will not in the long term, or as the opposition get better in quality. that's why Warnock is a championship manager, you'd have thought that with his track record, bigger clubs or clubs with more aspiration than ours, would've come knocking, to my knowledge, they haven't, maybe that's because if a club has serious ambitions of progressing, then Warnock's style will not serve a club too well at a higher level.

For the record, I like him, and i'm loving the style of play, the excitement and willingness to win games, I love the rawness of Mendez-Laing, the unpredictability of Sol Bamba, the reinvention of Zohore, the appreciation Morrison is now getting, and the willingness of Hoilett under Warnock-i'm having a ball, and not in any way being critical of Warnock, just a shame that there aren't more people at the ground to witness it.
    Good post.
    Spedger