+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Driverless Cars....Why!!!

Re: Driverless Cars....Why!!!

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    I like to think I'm not a luddite. But who really benefits. The extra recreational time served up to pro drivers can be filled with job applications. Plus I like driving most of the time. Getting out of Asdas can be a pain which is why I park by The Cornwall. They should just fast forward to star trek or stop altogether. What's going to be the difficult third album as it were after the driverless car?
    fewer road deaths, traffic a thing of the past, commuting time becomes leisure time. longer commutes more palatable bringing prosperity further from big cities, less air pollution, etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Owning might not be the model of the future, pay per journey is more likely
    If we are talking about driverless cars, then I agree. The conversation seems to have deviated onto electric cars a little.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Cos we're already gridlocked and need even more vehicles on our roads
    why would there be even more?
    if all the cars on the roads were driverless they could handle a lot more cars and drive a lot closer than human drivers, and there cold actually be less cars, as most industry experts think that people won't actually own a car in the future, but they will pay per journey from a fleet of cars, so they would pick you up, drop you off then bugger off to the next pick up.
    Our clogged up streets would be empty of parked cars again, so kids will be able to play cricket against the lamp posts like I can remember, but which is completely impractical nowadays.

if all the cars on the roads were driverless they could handle a lot more cars and drive a lot closer than human drivers, and there cold actually be less cars, as most industry experts think that people won't actually own a car in the future, but they will pay per journey from a fleet of cars, so they would pick you up, drop you off then bugger off to the next pick up.
    Our clogged up streets would be empty of parked cars again, so kids will be able to play cricket against the lamp posts like I can remember, but which is completely impractical nowadays.
    Many traffic jams are caused by human error, accidents etc. Many jams are the result of people driving too fast or too slow. I remember the fuel crisis in 1999/2000. Everybody slowed to 50-60 mph to save fuel and it actually resulted in faster journeys to and from work for me.

if all the cars on the roads were driverless they could handle a lot more cars and drive a lot closer than human drivers, and there could actually be less cars, as most industry experts think that people won't actually own a car in the future, but they will pay per journey from a fleet of cars, so they would pick you up, drop you off then bugger off to the next pick up.
    What would happen if everybody went dogging up Caerphilly Mountain?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    What would happen if everybody went dogging up Caerphilly Mountain?
    um, im really not sure what your point is

um, im really not sure what your point is
    Where I go there are hundreds of cars. Ask Sludge.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    If you don't know who Tesla are, then I am completely unsurprised that your view on electric cars is so blinkered.

The technology has been tested - earlier you were on about the range, and this is being addressed. How old are you, by the way? If you are older than 55, then I think it is possible that you will go through life without owning an electric car. If you are younger, then I think you will have little choice in the matter.
    Thanks BIS. I'm actually 65 and as neither my grandparents or my parents got into their 70's and I have suffered a heart attack ,
    pneumonia and have type 2 diabetes plus a few minor ailments then I think my one year old petrol Honda CRV will see me out !

On Andrew Marr yesterday the Green Party leader said in effect " Electric cars are fine but how the electricity they use is generated is the issue. "

Add in the massive infrastructure work needed to set up charging points in garages and peoples homes then it could be a while
    before they are totally common and affordable rather than a gimmick.

I hope I have to buy one but I think my personal odds are against it.

My current target is to live until 23rd April 2027.