+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: People who's names you've always gotten wrong

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: People who's names you've always gotten wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Just an alternative to 'Got' can't see a problem.
    A bin American, innit? (Although it used to be used here in days of yore).

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    A bin American, innit? (Although it used to be used here in days of yore).
    Ah, got it-Damn Americans! Within the English Language, there are a lot of French words that we use, my mate reckons that the French will do their best not to incorporate English words, or attempt to think of a 'New' French word to replace it. I have no evidence to back this up, or how it would be implemented, in every day life (French writing and Film excluded) I suspect my mate (his name is Tim) has been reading the Daily Mail, although i'd love to think it was true, some angry French person in a government office, eradicating the natural evolution of a Language.

Ah, got it-Damn Americans! Within the English Language, there are a lot of French words that we use, my mate reckons that the French will do their best not to incorporate English words, or attempt to think of a 'New' French word to replace it. I have no evidence to back this up, or how it would be implemented, in every day life (French writing and Film excluded) I suspect my mate (his name is Tim) has been reading the Daily Mail, although i'd love to think it was true, some angry French person in a government office, eradicating the natural evolution of a Language.
    The French have a bunch of very old farts who sit down and come up with French equivalents of English words. I can't imagine being a fly on the wall when the Académie française come up with the French equivalent of twerking and the like. Surprisingly, the Germans are a lot more laissez-faire and are embracing English words at an astonishing rate.

The French have a bunch of very old farts who sit down and come up with French equivalents of English words. I can't imagine being a fly on the wall when the Académie française come up with the French equivalent of twerking and the like. Surprisingly, the Germans are a lot more laissez-faire and are embracing English words at an astonishing rate.
    Ah, So Tim was right, i'll have to apologise for calling him a xenophobic bald twat.

Sorry hadn't noticed your response when I posted mine above.

True, I'm afraid. There has been a movement within the education system in France in recent years to eradicate the use of foreign words, particularly English.