+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Arsenal Welsh

Re: The Arsenal Welsh

i have done articles on the history of Welsh players at Man United, Man City, Liverpool and Everton if you want me to share them. not many links with Cardiff though

the Dan Lewis story is true, after the mishap the keepers shirt was washed before every game, not sure if the practice still persists, but definitely lasted through to the mid 90s..not being picky but Peter Nicholas & Jon Roberts was conspicuous by their absence. Roberts especially as he was a more than able substitute during the 70/71 Double season..

Quote Originally Posted by spadey View Post
    the Dan Lewis story is true, after the mishap the keepers shirt was washed before every game, not sure if the practice still persists, but definitely lasted through to the mid 90s..not being picky but Peter Nicholas & Jon Roberts was conspicuous by their absence. Roberts especially as he was a more than able substitute during the 70/71 Double season..
    Yeah i regret not putting them in there now, live and learn! Thought they did not make an impact in their times at the club but been proven wring.

hope you don't mind, but I've just posted your article on an Arsenal site. prob should've asked first, but it was a really good read & just wanted to spread your piece. Thanx
    out of curiosity, which Arsenal site did you put it on?

A great read,thanks for sharing this article,let's hope the Capital of Wales team sign a few Welshman, we had some great Welsh Internationals in our past! Fred Keenor, Alan Harrington,Ron Stitfall,Colin Baker,Barry Hole,John Charles,Ivor Allchurch,Barry Jones,Tosh,Earnie,Joe Ledley, just a few I've seen play for us,not Keenor I'm afraid, not that old!

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    A great read,thanks for sharing this article,let's hope the Capital of Wales team sign a few Welshman, we had some great Welsh Internationals in our past! Fred Keenor, Alan Harrington,Ron Stitfall,Colin Baker,Barry Hole,John Charles,Ivor Allchurch,Barry Jones,Tosh,Earnie,Joe Ledley, just a few I've seen play for us,not Keenor I'm afraid, not that old!
    would be nice if a few come from the academy or Declan John makes the breakthrough

Apart from missing out John Roberts and Peter Nicholas, what did you all think of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Did you omit Rhys Weston, because he wasn't born in Wales ?
    Not to steal the OP's thunder after posting a brilliant article but this is a decent article about Weston and his one Arsenal appearance.

http://www.planetfootball.com/in-dep...-game-arsenal/

Quote Originally Posted by neil316 View Post
    out of curiosity, which Arsenal site did you put it on?
    apologies for delay, working & all that..The Arsenal site is WeAreTheHerd, tho it's a members only site I believe you can have limited access..

apologies for delay, working & all that..The Arsenal site is WeAreTheHerd, tho it's a members only site I believe you can have limited access..
    Ahh ok no problem, how has it been received there?

My first ever memories of Cardiff City, are of Tappy scoring against Abertawe Town at the Vetch.

Years ago, someone asked me, "what my first memory of City was" and even though I could run through it in detail, I had to look up exactly when it was.

Not looking again, but I believe it was 1959 and a Welsh Cup match.

I was 8 years of age and my brother had taken me to the game. It was a night game and my brother stood me behind the goal against the wall.

It was a misty/rainy night, so the nets were full of the dew of the night.

The ball was played into the box and Tappy slid in at the far post, smashing the ball into the net, the dew of the net soaked me as it rained down as the ball hit the back of the net.

As the pitch was soaking, Tappy kept on sliding towards me, his eyes were bulging out of his head as the adrenalin pumped through his body. It frighted the be-jesus out of me.

But I will always remember that moment and years later I used to call at Tappy's in Pantmawr and swap stories.

What a man.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    My first ever memories of Cardiff City, are of Tappy scoring against Abertawe Town at the Vetch.

Years ago, someone asked me, "what my first memory of City was" and even though I could run through it in detail, I had to look up exactly when it was.

Not looking again, but I believe it was 1959 and a Welsh Cup match.

I was 8 years of age and my brother had taken me to the game. It was a night game and my brother stood me behind the goal against the wall.

It was a misty/rainy night, so the nets were full of the dew of the night.

The ball was played into the box and Tappy slid in at the far post, smashing the ball into the net, the dew of the net soaked me as it rained down as the ball hit the back of the net.

As the pitch was soaking, Tappy kept on sliding towards me, his eyes were bulging out of his head as the adrenalin pumped through his body. It frighted the be-jesus out of me.

But I will always remember that moment and years later I used to call at Tappy's in Pantmawr and swap stories.

What a man.
    sounds like a heck of a guy. i’m thinking of buying his book for xmas