+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why are attendances so poor?

Re: Why are attendances so poor?

Does it have something to do with the youngsters not coming through? I started going with my grandad when I was about 10, but by the time I was 12 or 13 I was going with my mates.

Do teenage boys even care anymore? Or would they rather stay home and play on their X-Box?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Our next Saturday 3pm home game is January 13th.
    That’ll almost be 2 months after last Saturdays game against Brentford.
    Facking ell Bob Bank that's like 1/5 of the season I think
    that's a long time
    now that IS a huge factor on attendances

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Does it have something to do with the youngsters not coming through? I started going with my grandad when I was about 10, but by the time I was 12 or 13 I was going with my mates.

Do teenage boys even care anymore? Or would they rather stay home and play on their X-Box?
    How many go up until mid 20s then stop?
    I went regularly until I was 22 but then a kid and working weekends meant not going. Then I'd have to have my daughter in weekends..onky this season she's agreed to come, so back we are..but still haven't managed all the games I'd like..aint cheap all factored in to do it on a whim.
    Be a challenge to get her down there in pissing rain too.
    How many stop for genuine reasons and never go back? I know loads. The same ones that turn up for big games if they can (God knows why some have the knives out in relation to things like this as everyone has their own situation)

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Nothing to do with the rebrand nor Tan's wild proclamations. It's all because of some spurious reasons regurgitated by people who still attend.

Alfie Sherwood, TLG, Jordi Cule - off the top of my head these were people who attended religiously who have stopped attending. What were their reasons for not going?
    Who's said it's got nothing to do with the rebrand?

Of course the rebrand had an affect, but the point stands, we are still averaging double the crowd that we had in the good old days at "the old lady"

Blaming the rebrand is lazy and inaccurate imho, just because that is YOUR reason, doesn't make it THE reason.

"spurious reasons regurgitated by people who still attend." Who says they are spurious?

We were asked a question and have tried to answer it with our opinions. All the reasons given previously are, I think, valid, but nobody is trying to claim that any one of them is the sole reason.

I think history has clearly taught us that our fanbase is fickle sadly.

Crowds clearly dropped after we were relegated, not so much the first season back in the championship, maybe because people had already bought their ST's in the hope that we'd stay up? The following seasons we entered the OGS/Slade/Trollope era which was never going to entice people back through the turnstiles.

Go up, in blue, and stay there and the crowds will be near 30k.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Sadly, I think you're right Sludge. Thanks to a cheap ticket deal, we get over 27,000 on a Tuesday night for a match against the league leaders and give them a bit of a hiding. We then face a team that is currently in the top six four days later with normal prices and nearly nine thousand less are there. Now I reckon there were some who turned up for the Leeds match and were so impressed that they bought a ticket for the Derby game and, who knows, they may have been to every match since, but, far, far more of those who don't go to matches often who were tempted into coming to the Leeds game have not bothered since despite the fact that they must, surely, have enjoyed themselves that night. I daresay a few who were at the Leeds match also made it along to the Villa game in August where we laid on another excellent display, but it seems that with some people in this area, what the team does when they go to a game makes no difference to them - that's got nothing to do with the rebrand and everything to do with being a "typical south Wales fan".
    We are a strange bunch

All this talk about passionate Welsh sporting fans is complete nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    How many go up until mid 20s then stop?
    I went regularly until I was 22 but then a kid and working weekends meant not going. Then I'd have to have my daughter in weekends..onky this season she's agreed to come, so back we are..but still haven't managed all the games I'd like..aint cheap all factored in to do it on a whim.
    Be a challenge to get her down there in pissing rain too.
    How many stop for genuine reasons and never go back? I know loads. The same ones that turn up for big games if they can (God knows why some have the knives out in relation to things like this as everyone has their own situation)
    Good point.

I started going with my dad until our lunatics made him stop taking me because he was afraid I'd get hit by a coin, or a seat.

Started going with my mates in my teens, then had a barren few years when I was at uni in the south east. Another few barren years after I got married and had a family.

Everyone's got a different story, different responsibilities and different priorities

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Good point.

I started going with my dad until our lunatics made him stop taking me because he was afraid I'd get hit by a coin, or a seat.
    Not if you use the Zebra Crossing mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Leeds match - Cheap tickets - Large crowd

Other games - More expensive tickets - Small crowd

Q. Why are attendances so poor?
    A. Tickets are too expensive.

Hope this helps.
    We are amongst the cheapest in the league if you buy in advance

It costs me £18 in the canton stand if I buy before match day

Now I appreciate for those with families it's more expensive but south Wales has a large population and there is surely enough football fans able to afford that ?

The truth is firstly there are many who use any excuse not to go and secondly south Wales is full of people who think they are football fans by watching man united , Liverpool , Chelsea etc on the pub sky TV

They are happy to spend twenty quid on beer

Good point.

Started going with my mates in my teens, then had a barren few years when I was at uni in the south east. Another few barren years after I got married and had a family.

Everyone's got a different story, different responsibilities and different priorities
    I was in a rush writing that, but glad you got the gist.

People can moan about what they like, but I just don't get it.

There are many reasons, although reading here some days it's as if you need a doctor's note handed in to the headmaster to have a day off.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    We are amongst the cheapest in the league if you buy in advance

It costs me £18 in the canton stand if I buy before match day

Now I appreciate for those with families it's more expensive but south Wales has a large population and there is surely enough football fans able to afford that ?

The truth is firstly there are many who use any excuse not to go and secondly south Wales is full of people who think they are football fans by watching man united , Liverpool , Chelsea etc on the pub sky TV

They are happy to spend twenty quid on beer
    In a league with ever dwindling attendances. A brand new BMW is cheaper than a Porsche but I'd wager neither of us will be going out soon to buy one.

Good point.

As have every football clubs fans in the rest of the country

Yet we are the ones getting crap home gates , at the top of the league

Are we a special case ?

Of course we are not , our support is fickle historically and this season even a successful team is failing to get the crowds in

That's very worrying

In a league with ever dwindling attendances. A brand new BMW is cheaper than a Porsche but I'd wager neither of us will be going out soon to buy one.
    Why would you when you can have a brand spanking new Ford Focus?

I was in a rush writing that, but glad you got the gist.

People can moan about what they like, but I just don't get it.

There are many reasons, although reading here some days it's as if you need a doctor's note handed in to the headmaster to have a day off.
    Not at all , but the excuses some people have for failing to get behind the club when needed are wearing thin

Why would you when you can have a brand spanking new Ford Focus?
    I think he cleaned it recently too

As have every football clubs fans in the rest of the country

Yet we are the ones getting crap home gates , at the top of the league

Are we a special case ?

Of course we are not , our support is fickle historically and this season even a successful team is failing to get the crowds in

That's very worrying
    The Jacks had an average attendance of 15,500 when they went up a few years back. Perhaps it’s a Welsh thing.

Maybe so but if I was to tell you that a Cardiff city team that had a storming start to the season and is in with a real chance of promotion was recently playing to crowds of 15 and 16 thousand you would think I was off my cake

But it's a fact

The Jacks had an average attendance of 15,500 when they went up a few years back. Perhaps it’s a Welsh thing.
    Perhaps you are right , although considering Swansea doesn't have the population we have , I would suggest their support is more loyal than ours

Not at all , but the excuses some people have for failing to get behind the club when needed are wearing thin
    Well my point entirely is that nobody should need an excuse.

I have a mate that did all United's games home and away for a few years including Europe, how many of our fans manage to do 5 away games, 10 away games? Every game is an away game effectively for them.
    Priorities mean he does home games now and as many away as possible.
    I'd love to be able to commit to that level of following a club.
    It's been said, we are fickle, I'll own up to not being in a rush to go if we're not doing so Well, under Russel slade you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming. When I had a spare weekend and we were shit, is it any surprise I didn't bend my daughter's arm to go? I don't know why anyone needs am excuse, however thin they may be getting.

Maybe so but if I was to tell you that a Cardiff city team that had a storming start to the season and is in with a real chance of promotion was recently playing to crowds of 15 and 16 thousand you would think I was off my cake
    Far from it. I remember the massive surge in attendances from 3k to 7k, 8k back in the day. 15k - 20k is about right for where we are. Another couple of thousand would be nice, don't get me wrong but we'll pick it up in the 2nd half of the season I'm sure.

Well my point entirely is that nobody should need an excuse.

I have a mate that did all United's games home and away for a few years including Europe, how many of our fans manage to do 5 away games, 10 away games? Every game is an away game effectively for them.
    Priorities mean he does home games now and as many away as possible.
    I'd love to be able to commit to that level of following a club.
    It's been said, we are fickle, I'll own up to not being in a rush to go if we're not doing so Well, under Russel slade you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming. When I had a spare weekend and we were shit, is it any surprise I didn't bend my daughter's arm to go? I don't know why anyone needs am excuse, however thin they may be getting.
    Well whatever ones excuse and wether you feel one isn't needed , our support at home is poor , the fans know it , the players know it , the manager knows it , the club knows it and our owner will know it

And being as outside the greedy league , money through the gate is vital , then the problem is something that is very worrying , whatever people want to say

Well whatever ones excuse and wether you feel one isn't needed , our support at home is poor , the fans know it , the players know it , the manager knows it , the club knows it and our owner will know it

And being as outside the greedy league , money through the gate is vital , then the problem is something that is very worrying , whatever people want to say
    I don't think any of us are in denial (from what I've read) about our support. I actually think the numbers could be 1 or 2 k more but honestly not much more. I agree the players deserve more, they really do.
    I also know if we go up we will find the extra fans too.

Far from it. I remember the massive surge in attendances from 3k to 7k, 8k back in the day. 15k - 20k is about right for where we are. Another couple of thousand would be nice, don't get me wrong but we'll pick it up in the 2nd half of the season I'm sure.
    I am sure you are right. After the crap quality of football served up in the past few years, not everyone is convinced that we have properly turned the corner on the pitch.

It must be born in mind that after the good football of the Jones era, Malky stepped in and we had a couple of great seasons until we were promoted.

Unfortunately, until NW arrived, it was then downhill football and excitement-wise. Russell Slade, the transfer embargo, the reality that we were cash-strapped didn't help at all.

Carry on as we are and the second half of the season, I am sure will see gates average more than 20,000.

Its great that the vast majority of replies and have tried to come up with sensible conclusions. On the micro level there is no doubt if you had £5 offers every game you would see an improvement, but 27k for Brentford? I very much doubt it.
    I think we have established that Cardiff is not a football hotbed and our fans are fickle but why? What impact does rugby have, even if people only turn up in numbers for internationals? Is there a cultural thing at play? Just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Its great that the vast majority of replies and have tried to come up with sensible conclusions. On the micro level there is no doubt if you had £5 offers every game you would see an improvement, but 27k for Brentford? I very much doubt it.
    I think we have established that Cardiff is not a football hotbed and our fans are fickle but why? What impact does rugby have, even if people only turn up in numbers for internationals? Is there a cultural thing at play? Just asking.
    I wasn't recommending £5 offers every game by the way. That would just be silly.

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    I am sure you are right. After the crap quality of football served up in the past few years, not everyone is convinced that we have properly turned the corner on the pitch.

It must be born in mind that after the good football of the Jones era, Malky stepped in and we had a couple of great seasons until we were promoted.

Unfortunately, until NW arrived, it was then downhill football and excitement-wise. Russell Slade, the transfer embargo, the reality that we were cash-strapped didn't help at all.

Carry on as we are and the second half of the season, I am sure will see gates average more than 20,000.
    His first season was football to make your eyes bleed. Worst I have ever witnessed. Some of the games in the premeir league were ok.