+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Why are attendances so poor?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Why are attendances so poor?

The Cardiff metropolitan area makes up over a third of the total population of Wales, with a 2016 population estimate of about 1,100,000 people - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiff.

Saturday's 16,000 attendance = 1.5% of 1.1m. Expressed a different way = abject.

The club can't flog nearly enough season tickets, hence it's too embarrassed to publish the total number sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    The Cardiff metropolitan area makes up over a third of the total population of Wales, with a 2016 population estimate of about 1,100,000 people - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiff.

Saturday's 16,000 attendance = 1.5% of 1.1m. Expressed a different way = abject.

The club can't flog nearly enough season tickets, hence it's too embarrassed to publish the total number sold.
    It has been done to death but the rebrand killed a lot of the "magic"

We were plucky Cardiff, a Welsh team in an English league, battling our way up the leagues, always dreaming of the promised land.

We gained some momentum with promotions with Hammam then the Dave Jones years , knocking on the door. Then finally we crashed through but with an owner who made sure at the time that we knew it was his club not ours by changing the colour of the shirts to what he wanted. The Premier league was a disaster, people turned up to see us play in the premier league but with little affinity for the club. We didn't have the emotional attachment after promotion that say Huddersfield or Bournemouth or even the Jack's had. The rebrand made it feel somehow we bought our way up ( which I know that is what a lot of clubs do, including Wolves this season)

We lost loyal fans because of the rebrand, we lost the casual support when we were relegated and we lost even more with dire football under Slade.

Now should be good times under Warnock, the team on the pitch are certainly worthy of our support with the effort they put in every game but for a lot of people that emotional connection with the club has gone

Whereas before I would arrange my whole social calendar around Cardiff games if it clashes with something I now think, oh well, I can skip the City game today.

I have a good mate who is a Bolton fan who always said enjoy the journey as it's the best part because once you get there it's not all it's cracked up to be and he was right.

Don't get me wrong I would be delighted to see this team win promotion, it will feel much different than the previous one. I'm just trying to explain that I think a lot of people lost that " I can't miss any City game" during the rebrand and the subsequent seasons.

I stillhope it will return at some point

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    It has been done to death but the rebrand killed a lot of the "magic"

We were plucky Cardiff, a Welsh team in an English league, battling our way up the leagues, always dreaming of the promised land.

We gained some momentum with promotions with Hammam then the Dave Jones years , knocking on the door. Then finally we crashed through but with an owner who made sure at the time that we knew it was his club not ours by changing the colour of the shirts to what he wanted. The Premier league was a disaster, people turned up to see us play in the premier league but with little affinity for the club. We didn't have the emotional attachment after promotion that say Huddersfield or Bournemouth or even the Jack's had. The rebrand made it feel somehow we bought our way up ( which I know that is what a lot of clubs do, including Wolves this season)

We lost loyal fans because of the rebrand, we lost the casual support when we were relegated and we lost even more with dire football under Slade.

Now should be good times under Warnock, the team on the pitch are certainly worthy of our support with the effort they put in every game but for a lot of people that emotional connection with the club has gone

Whereas before I would arrange my whole social calendar around Cardiff games if it clashes with something I now think, oh well, I can skip the City game today.

I have a good mate who is a Bolton fan who always said enjoy the journey as it's the best part because once you get there it's not all it's cracked up to be and he was right.

Don't get me wrong I would be delighted to see this team win promotion, it will feel much different than the previous one. I'm just trying to explain that I think a lot of people lost that " I can't miss any City game" during the rebrand and the subsequent seasons.

I stillhope it will return at some point
    Good point on the us and them mentality.