+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why are attendances so poor?

Why are attendances so poor?

I know this has been done to death, but i was quite shocked how poor our attendance was compared with others Saturday. In fact there was only 1 lower than us. I despair at finding the reasons behind this and in a way does it really matter given that tv money is keeping football afloat?
    Has anybody out there got a crystal ball? There must be a reason.

Re: Why are attendances so poor?

2 and a half dire seasons of football with OGS/Slade/Trollope is enough to put anyone off.
    People are probably waiting until the new year to see if we can maintain our position.
    Half season tickets will probably sell quite well come December.

Maybe the squeeze on living standards as well. I think people underestimate no wage growth and higher prices. I know we aren't the most expensive but I think times are pretty hard for loads of folks and families. Football doesnt keep you warm or fed. Would explain some by but no means all of people who haven't gone.. I have only been a few times this year so far for different reasons. Life gets in the way sometimes. Again only explains a small number of people like me. I suppose all these small numbers add up. I agree/hope that crowds will increase in the new year. I

Having the egg clashing with the football didn"t help.

The cost of football midweek with wales,people watching the rugby with kids as there was a family day there or so I am told.The international break and lack of home games is also breaking the continuity of fans.

Been getting mine week by week for me and my daughter. Truth is work could quiet down for a few weeks now plus I'll need a bit of time off over Xmas so it's all about keeping money in the pot unfortunately. Plan is to get a half season ticket as I missed out on a full one as I was switching jobs and hesitated to get one until I knew the new one would be ok.

A mate of mine has got a season ticket and hasn't managed 5 games all year (I know he gets included in the total but doesn't help with the already small looking crowd)
    I know people that don't go because their missus has changed shift and work weekends etc and others that have simply been spending more time with the family.

All these things are valid but it still doesnt explain why our are so much worse than everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    All these things are valid but it still doesnt explain why our are so much worse than everyone else.
    Well there is one thing that the club has experienced that others haven't .... but I am not going to mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Well there is one thing that the club has experienced that others haven't .... but I am not going to mention it.
    I think you'll find others have relegated from the Prem.

They’d love you over ****. All you do is fvckin moan.

Our average is just under 20,000. 13th best in the division so they are not so much worse than everyonelse.

Me moan. You obviously dont read my posts. This was a genuine question which has never, in my mind, been answered. And no, the rebrand has only had a marginal effect now. The reasons go far longer and deeper.

The answer is we have a significant number of fans who turn up when at highest level / playing someone like a Leeds.

If we look like we'll go up around Christmas, half STs will be sold as people secure what they hope will be cheap Prem games. Lose the next six, you'll not see them.

Me moan. You obviously dont read my posts. This was a genuine question which has never, in my mind, been answered. And no, the rebrand has only had a marginal effect now. The reasons go far longer and deeper.
    As you said in your opening post, it’s been done to death.

You’re just peddling negativity as per usual.

The Cardiff metropolitan area makes up over a third of the total population of Wales, with a 2016 population estimate of about 1,100,000 people - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiff.

Saturday's 16,000 attendance = 1.5% of 1.1m. Expressed a different way = abject.

The club can't flog nearly enough season tickets, hence it's too embarrassed to publish the total number sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    The Cardiff metropolitan area makes up over a third of the total population of Wales, with a 2016 population estimate of about 1,100,000 people - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiff.

Saturday's 16,000 attendance = 1.5% of 1.1m. Expressed a different way = abject.

The club can't flog nearly enough season tickets, hence it's too embarrassed to publish the total number sold.
    Exactly. Attendances are appalling but why? As someone else pointed out they will turn up for 'glamour' games but not for others. I think this has always been true. Does the egg have a big effect on the mentality of people in this part of Wales, not just on internationsl days but other times too?

On the bright side I can remember when there was 2000 in Ninian park. I don't remember anybodyasking why though cause the football was shite.

Quote Originally Posted by headlight View Post
    Having the egg clashing with the football didn"t help.
    It probably knocked 1-2000 of the gate on Saturday but generally speaking it’s down to a combination of things.

After promotion in 2003 we were on an almost constant upwards trajectory for years, successive Wembley appearances boosting season ticket sales culminating in promotion.

That momentum was lost for a while, add to that the unwatchable football under Slade and of course the R word.
    The good crowds we were getting didn’t improve overnight, and once fans have gone it takes a while to get them back.

I’d prefer there to be bigger crowds, and it’s dissppointing that more aren’t turning up, I feel this manager and this team deserve better, but I’m enjoying watching the City now more than I have for about six years.

If we’re still in the top six in a few months I’m sure crowds will steadily rise as people worry about potentially needing a season ticket for the top flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post

It has been done to death but the rebrand killed a lot of the "magic"

We were plucky Cardiff, a Welsh team in an English league, battling our way up the leagues, always dreaming of the promised land.

We gained some momentum with promotions with Hammam then the Dave Jones years , knocking on the door. Then finally we crashed through but with an owner who made sure at the time that we knew it was his club not ours by changing the colour of the shirts to what he wanted. The Premier league was a disaster, people turned up to see us play in the premier league but with little affinity for the club. We didn't have the emotional attachment after promotion that say Huddersfield or Bournemouth or even the Jack's had. The rebrand made it feel somehow we bought our way up ( which I know that is what a lot of clubs do, including Wolves this season)

We lost loyal fans because of the rebrand, we lost the casual support when we were relegated and we lost even more with dire football under Slade.

Now should be good times under Warnock, the team on the pitch are certainly worthy of our support with the effort they put in every game but for a lot of people that emotional connection with the club has gone

Whereas before I would arrange my whole social calendar around Cardiff games if it clashes with something I now think, oh well, I can skip the City game today.

I have a good mate who is a Bolton fan who always said enjoy the journey as it's the best part because once you get there it's not all it's cracked up to be and he was right.

Don't get me wrong I would be delighted to see this team win promotion, it will feel much different than the previous one. I'm just trying to explain that I think a lot of people lost that " I can't miss any City game" during the rebrand and the subsequent seasons.

I stillhope it will return at some point

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    It has been done to death but the rebrand killed a lot of the "magic"

We were plucky Cardiff, a Welsh team in an English league, battling our way up the leagues, always dreaming of the promised land.

We gained some momentum with promotions with Hammam then the Dave Jones years , knocking on the door. Then finally we crashed through but with an owner who made sure at the time that we knew it was his club not ours by changing the colour of the shirts to what he wanted. The Premier league was a disaster, people turned up to see us play in the premier league but with little affinity for the club. We didn't have the emotional attachment after promotion that say Huddersfield or Bournemouth or even the Jack's had. The rebrand made it feel somehow we bought our way up ( which I know that is what a lot of clubs do, including Wolves this season)

We lost loyal fans because of the rebrand, we lost the casual support when we were relegated and we lost even more with dire football under Slade.

Now should be good times under Warnock, the team on the pitch are certainly worthy of our support with the effort they put in every game but for a lot of people that emotional connection with the club has gone

Whereas before I would arrange my whole social calendar around Cardiff games if it clashes with something I now think, oh well, I can skip the City game today.

I have a good mate who is a Bolton fan who always said enjoy the journey as it's the best part because once you get there it's not all it's cracked up to be and he was right.

Don't get me wrong I would be delighted to see this team win promotion, it will feel much different than the previous one. I'm just trying to explain that I think a lot of people lost that " I can't miss any City game" during the rebrand and the subsequent seasons.

I stillhope it will return at some point
    What you say makes absolute sense and all these things are factors in our recent history. I still cant help feeling that there is an even bigger malaise. With our catchment area we should be doing better.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    The answer is we have a significant number of fans who turn up when at highest level / playing someone like a Leeds.

If we look like we'll go up around Christmas, half STs will be sold as people secure what they hope will be cheap Prem games. Lose the next six, you'll not see them.
    I'm not overly excited about the premier league. Didn't go to a single game first time we were up and I probably could have if I'd tried for tickets, as many people when they saw us losing week in week out weren't arsed unless it was top 5 teams. Be an experience to see them play at ccs I suppose but not a reason I'd rush to get a half ST. I know plenty will...
    Most people I know say the games in our division are a better watch.

What you say makes absolute sense and all these things are factors in our recent history. I still cant help feeling that there is an even bigger malaise. With our catchment area we should be doing better.
    Was posted the other week in another done to death thread that we average a bigger percentage of support from our catchment area than the mighty Leeds.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the so-called "rebrand" . I have followed City for 52 years and we have one of the most fickle followings in British football.

16,000 after a couple of dodgy results, with rugby on the same day is pretty good, particularly if you also take the crap weekend weather into consideration.

Those sitting on the fence have yet to be convinced that City are going to do great things this season and, until they are, we are unlikely to see 20,000+ crowds.

A good run from here until the New Year will see quite a few more bums on seats in 2018. This is nothing new.

Whomever posted the Leeds metro population number omitted to mention it includes Bradford so that club's average attendance should be added to Leeds'.

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    This has absolutely nothing to do with the so-called "rebrand" . I have followed City for 52 years and we have one of the most fickle followings in British football.

16,000 after a couple of dodgy results, with rugby on the same day is pretty good, particularly if you also take the crap weekend weather into consideration.

Those sitting on the fence have yet to be convinced that City are going to do great things this season and, until they are, we are unlikely to see 20,000+ crowds.

A good run from here until the New Year will see quite a few more bums on seats in 2018. This is nothing new.
    As I implied, not enough season tickets have been purchased. That's at the heart of the poor crowds. If 20,000 had been sold then last Saturday's attendance would have been in excess of 20,000 as would every other game regardless of however many physically attend. Slash the ST prices by a third.

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post

You are right. I've followed the bluebirds 50 odd years and crowds go up and down. There is certainly not the passion for football generally that you get in other parts. Perhaps the egg has something to do with it. All Welshmen are supposted to be fanatics.