+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Why are attendances so poor?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Why are attendances so poor?

This has absolutely nothing to do with the so-called "rebrand" . I have followed City for 52 years and we have one of the most fickle followings in British football.

16,000 after a couple of dodgy results, with rugby on the same day is pretty good, particularly if you also take the crap weekend weather into consideration.

Those sitting on the fence have yet to be convinced that City are going to do great things this season and, until they are, we are unlikely to see 20,000+ crowds.

A good run from here until the New Year will see quite a few more bums on seats in 2018. This is nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    This has absolutely nothing to do with the so-called "rebrand" . I have followed City for 52 years and we have one of the most fickle followings in British football.

16,000 after a couple of dodgy results, with rugby on the same day is pretty good, particularly if you also take the crap weekend weather into consideration.

Those sitting on the fence have yet to be convinced that City are going to do great things this season and, until they are, we are unlikely to see 20,000+ crowds.

A good run from here until the New Year will see quite a few more bums on seats in 2018. This is nothing new.
    As I implied, not enough season tickets have been purchased. That's at the heart of the poor crowds. If 20,000 had been sold then last Saturday's attendance would have been in excess of 20,000 as would every other game regardless of however many physically attend. Slash the ST prices by a third.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    As I implied, not enough season tickets have been purchased. That's at the heart of the poor crowds. If 20,000 had been sold then last Saturday's attendance would have been in excess of 20,000 as would every other game regardless of however many physically attend. Slash the ST prices by a third.
    Not enough fans have bought into the reincarnation of Cardiff City yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post

A few years ago, that game would have pulled in 20000.

You say the rebrand has "absolutely" got nothing to do with it. The rebrand killed any passion or loyalty I feel for Tan's club. That's 5 season ticket sales gone. Don Corleone has it spot on. Whereas I would think nothing of dropping all plans to join 1800 others for a game against Wigan in the 90s, I stopped buying season tickets post rebrand, my last season being the promotion season.

The average of nearly 20000 is boosted by the freak 27000 crowd against Leeds.

Ticket prices are the same now as they were when I last bought one pre-rebrand. The team is looking good for a promotion challenge. The club has a striker valued in the 10s of millions.

I think that, although only a few have stopped attending altogether, many have stopped attending religiously. For many, watching Cardiff on a Saturday is not the main priority anymore - when an owner makes it clear that you are not the club, and he is the owner, it sort of affects your perspective on what the club means. He made me feel like an outsider, and many on this board have too. So, feck the club, and feck those who boasted that I would be easily replaced. And feck those who told me to stick my blue scarf up my arse at a few games in that last season.

As for loyalty - I missed a mate's wedding to go to Sheffield United in the Cup, I missed a cousin's 18th to see a game against Halifax. I left work early to get to a game against Exeter in the LDV - the crowd was 650.

People may not like my answer, they may disagree. I'm one of the few posting here that is "missing", so I think putting my reasons here (again) is valid.

I won't consider going to another game until Tan has left. When he has gone, I'll probably take in a game or two when it suits me. Without the rebrand, I'd still be a season ticket holder - of that I have no doubt.