Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FT: BARNSLEY 0 - 1 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Re: FT: BARNSLEY 0 - 1 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Even uglier than Brentford, but can't knock the winning habit

Bluebirds!

Well done you Bluebirds

Won't be hearing from a certain wurzel tonight don't reckon but will he pop on for a butchers?

FT Wurzels lose
    FT Sheff Utd lose
    FT Cardiff win.

F##king awesome.

We shouldn't have won that, but we did.

If we can get at least a point at Forest that'll be an excellent week.

Blue in the Face

A game low on quality but incredible work rate tonight. Bryson, Ralls and Patterson in particular. Defence was solid. Sol great again. Bruno at rb excellent too.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    FT Wurzels lose
    FT Sheff Utd lose
    FT Cardiff win.

F##king awesome.
    Cardiff go second!

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post
    We shouldn't have won that, but we did.
    I don't see why not. The only had one shot on target all game, as opposed to our four. Tight game but solid defence and persistence paid off in the end.

Terrible game to watch, was a stagnated performance by most of the boys with them kicking away possession throughout the 90. Statistically Cardiff are the worst passing team in the league and it showed today, but somehow despite that blight against Cardiff they somehow manage to have the best defensive record in the league and yield the second highest shot count in the league.

Warnock likes to play direct attacking football whenever a blue shirt has possession of the ball. At times it's incredibly effective, but on other occasions like tonight, you see players like Ward look increasingly isolated. Hoilett tried and tried to make things happen tonight and did fairly well, but I couldn't help to think that Cardiff's potency in the final third would have been enhanced by the introduction of Tomlin, a player Warnock is reluctant to give a decent run of games to. Not sure why.

But despite my lamentations, Cardiff got the result tonight, and hats off to Paterson for his reactions to Bamba's cleared effort. It's another 3 points in the bag, back into 2nd place and maintaining a gap between the rest of the chasing pack.

I thought we were just deserving of the win. We got forward with purpose more than they did. Not much end product though.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by SuisseBluebird View Post
    Terrible game to watch, was a stagnated performance by most of the boys with them kicking away possession throughout the 90. Statistically Cardiff are the worst passing team in the league and it showed today, but somehow despite that blight against Cardiff they somehow manage to have the best defensive record in the league and yield the second highest shot count in the league.

Warnock likes to play direct attacking football whenever a blue shirt has possession of the ball. At times it's incredibly effective, but on other occasions like tonight, you see players like Ward look increasingly isolated. Hoilett tried and tried to make things happen tonight and did fairly well, but I couldn't help to think that Cardiff's potency in the final third would have been enhanced by the introduction of Tomlin, a player Warnock is reluctant to give a decent run of games to. Not sure why.

But despite my lamentations, Cardiff got the result tonight, and hats off to Paterson for his reactions to Bamba's cleared effort. It's another 3 points in the bag, back into 2nd place and maintaining a gap between the rest of the chasing pack.
    I thought Hoillet had one of his poorer games tonight, but tried and tried like you say. Think it's tough on him when the onus is on him alone to open things up. We really do miss NML and we're a much poorer side without him.

The one purchase we need to make in Jan is one more quality winger. We should be sweet if we can do that.

Thought we did deserve to win. Barnsley were poor and we worked much harder.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Bloody commentray down, Ratcliffe tripped on wires ??
    Had it full game for a change here.

Paterson's determination to get contact on the ball sees it fire into the roof of the net. Barnsley 0-1 Cardiff. pic.twitter.com/iJBTQPUtmM

— Cardiff City Mad (@cardiffcitymad) November 21, 2017

Neil is pleased as City scoop three points at Oakwellpic.twitter.com/vdB6EvBwFK

— Cardiff City Mad (@cardiffcitymad) November 21, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    A game low on quality but incredible work rate tonight. Bryson, Ralls and Patterson in particular. Defence was solid. Sol great again. Bruno at rb excellent too.
    I'll second all of that! Great to see Gunnar back as well - a dog of war in the middle. Brilliant, battling, ugly win.

Can’t wait to get NML back at least

Why are you so down on a team that you supposedly support ?. To win games like this is exactly what a team has to do to get promoted. Warnock knows this and sets his side up accordingly. Away games like this are not the time to go 'gung-ho' and attack from every angle. As has been proved on many occasions, possession statistics mean absolutely nothing in this league. Cheer up, enjoy the ride and get behind what the team are doing instead of dissecting and criticising our performances.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I'll second all of that! Great to see Gunnar back as well - a dog of war in the middle. Brilliant, battling, ugly win.
    Nice one Jon. Hope you had a face trip home.

Warnock interview on ifollow is great. Was spot on with the game assessment and had some interesting word on Craig Bellamy, up for the Wales job.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Why are you so down on a team that you supposedly support ?. To win games like this is exactly what a team has to do to get promoted. Warnock knows this and sets his side up accordingly. Away games like this are not the time to go 'gung-ho' and attack from every angle. As has been proved on many occasions, possession statistics mean absolutely nothing in this league. Cheer up, enjoy the ride and get behind what the team are doing instead of dissecting and criticising our performances.
    C'mon mate, if you had your way there would be absolutely no room for debate on here whatsoever.
    Whether we support the team or not we're still entitled to say it as we see it and it's quite clear that Suisse's post is not an attempt to troll just how he saw the game.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    C'mon mate, if you had your way there would be absolutely no room for debate on here whatsoever.
    Whether we support the team or not we're still entitled to say it as we see it and it's quite clear that Suisse's post is not an attempt to troll just how he saw the game.
    I didn't see the game I'll watch it on ifollow in work later on..by sounds of bit suiss did actually watch it, so I'd say he was being realistic rather than negative or whatever..
    As long as we are not calling players ***** and saying Warnock is an idiot then I think with in reason we are allowed to give some criticism of the team. I didn't like how late we left our subs for example...ok it worked out as we won...but up until that point we were crying out for Tomlin.

As has been suggested my comments to a certain extent are valid criticisms of last night's performance.

Defensively we looked good, Manga is beginning to look very comfortable at right back and Morisson and Bamba are a solid duo at the back. As for midfield Bryson can run for days and Ralls is doing his utmost to keep the game flowing, he's improved immensely under Warnock. It was also great to see Gunnarsson back in the starting line up as well.

So perhaps I was too harsh with my overall criticism of the performance as certain aspects to players games were carried out to a good standard. However Cardiff honestly did struggle to impose themselves in this game and as a result you think to the available substitutes, and who can influence a change in the game. Naturally I think all of us would conclude with the options we had on the bench, Tomlin would be the player we would nominate to come on to provide an impact for going forward.

He did not see any game time last night, and Warnock managed to orchestrate another win. So of course I'm delighted with the 3 points, one thing is for certain work rate is not lacking with any of the Cardiff players. I just have concerns as the season continues, performances like last night albeit organised defensively and doing a decent job of containing the opposition, leave a question with regards to how we can influence the game from an attacking perspective. Yesterday was a struggle, the team had to dig in at times and got the job done. Better opposition would provide a sterner test but the positives is that Cardiff have several players to return to first team football so perhaps improved performances are to come.

As has been suggested my comments to a certain extent are valid criticisms of last night's performance.

Defensively we looked good, Manga is beginning to look very comfortable at right back and Morisson and Bamba are a solid duo at the back. As for midfield Bryson can run for days and Ralls is doing his utmost to keep the game flowing, he's improved immensely under Warnock. It was also great to see Gunnarsson back in the starting line up as well.

So perhaps I was too harsh with my overall criticism of the performance as certain aspects to players games were carried out to a good standard. However Cardiff honestly did struggle to impose themselves in this game and as a result you think to the available substitutes, and who can influence a change in the game. Naturally I think all of us would conclude with the options we had on the bench, Tomlin would be the player we would nominate to come on to provide an impact for going forward.

He did not see any game time last night, and Warnock managed to orchestrate another win. So of course I'm delighted with the 3 points, one thing is for certain work rate is not lacking with any of the Cardiff players. I just have concerns as the season continues, performances like last night albeit organised defensively and doing a decent job of containing the opposition, leave a question with regards to how we can influence the game from an attacking perspective. Yesterday was a struggle, the team had to dig in at times and got the job done. Better opposition would provide a sterner test but the positives is that Cardiff have several players to return to first team football so perhaps improved performances are to come.
    I suppose a positive is, it was an away game in the middle of winter, so scrappy was to perhaps be expected. We also have game changing players to come back in, so even with a few missing we managed to get over a potential banana skin and (perhaps luckily) got the 3 points.

Nothing wrong with being realistic in your evaluation mate.

You mentioned the words "the team had to dig in" which could be one of the reasons Tomlin did not feature.
    No doubting his talent but IMO we need to be bossing games for him to get the best out of him and as I've said before, I wonder if he is just not fit enough for a battle.

Doesn't explain why he's not used more at home mind especially when we were playing well earlier on, perhaps the court thing was a factor. Others were also shining.

Anyway, no doubt we will get to see more of Tomlin in the games to come, particularly over the Christmas period. This should mean that we are playing well again.

It's all about opinions mate. Personally I never expected 3 points last night and like others have alluded to, it was always gonna be a grind. I do think our earlier season entertainment has deserted us in recent weeks but perhaps injuries (for players playing and not playing) have to an extent dictated that. Another reason is probably cos we are no longer 'under the radar' and teams have learned to cope with our plan A.