+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff return from clicheland with the points to go second.

Cardiff return from clicheland with the points to go second.

Re: Cardiff return from clicheland with the points to go second.

Interesting read as always, Bob.

Yes, we definitely changed our mindset after that 5-4 at Charlton. We won 13 of our next 18 games, which was an incredible run made more incredible that 12 of those 13 wins were by a single goal. We also didn't lose an away game during that run, kept 8 clean sheets and only conceded 12 in those 18 games. Obviously if you keep things tight at the back you've got every chance of pinching something at the other end. I recall us being outplayed at Birmingham and Leicester (those in particular though there were others) during that time but we pinched wins. The 2017-18 class of Warnock is doing the same in many ways.

That run effectively won us the title. We only won 3 of our last 13, maybe due to tiredness, maybe due to being found out, maybe due to our real ability shining through, and by the time we got to the Premier League, we didn't have the quality to stay up. Our Championship winning tactics of being able to keep clean sheets, grind away and hope to pinch something was not going to work. In 2013 overall, we won 14 out of 42 games in Championship and Premier League. Having all the grit and hard work in the world and hoping for a bit of luck at the other end eventually stopped working. Some say we might have stayed up had Malky not been sacked but I never shared that opinion. Cracks had began opening.

This gives me concerns with our current team. How much quality do we have should we get promoted? Zohore? Maybe. Mendez Laing? - Maybe. Gunnarsson - definitely (but he might not be with us unless we nail him down on what will surely be a big wage). Ralls? - Maybe. Bamba and Etheridge would be ok. We can see we've got a bit of a lack of quality, but are working hard enough to negate that and grind results out. If we did go up, I don't see this team as one that could be tweaked for Premier League survival. I think it would need some major investment, something we didn't really do 4 years ago and hardly spent what we did all that wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Some people are born worriers.

How to survive in the premier league - copy what Burnley do or Watford have done.

When the Jacks went up - they had players that had stayed with the team from the lower leagues - it can be done and Burnley have proved you dont need all the tricks and skills - you need a switched on manager and a team that has no prima-donnas, is motivated and well organised defensively.

Just enjoy the ride. For the record - this team has a few premier level players in my opinion.

Manga, Bamba, Hoilett, Paterson, Morrison,Ralls, NML, Gunnarson, Zohore (perhaps) would get into any lower half squad. But let's not dream at the moment - lets get to the end of April first and see how we have shaped up.
    It's not worrying. It's preparation.

I know Eric - I wouldnt tempt fate though - it's not xmas yet - plenty of twists and turns. I think Warnock and Tan will assess it in Jan.
    Personally I think we need to find goal scorer more than anything else (but they are as rare as rocking horse sh1t in january)
    I’d imagine they would be assessing it now.
    The absence of Zohore has been noticeable but we’ve still picked up results.
    We’ve got Bogle, Ward, Healey and Fred to cover which should be sufficient there.

I’d be tempted to get another winger, I don’t think Feeney offers us enough the same way Kadeem does.

We know Warnock likes his 3 “no nonsense” midfielders so another attacking midfielder isn’t really an option as we have Tomlin warming the bench for that.

Defence looks good and we have option, especially when Jazz is back.

So all in all I’d expect maybe 1 signing in Jan, 2 if we cash in on Gunnar.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    I’d imagine they would be assessing it now.
    The absence of Zohore has been noticeable but we’ve still picked up results.
    We’ve got Bogle, Ward, Healey and Fred to cover which should be sufficient there.

I’d be tempted to get another winger, I don’t think Feeney offers us enough the same way Kadeem does.

We know Warnock likes his 3 “no nonsense” midfielders so another attacking midfielder isn’t really an option as we have Tomlin warming the bench for that.

Defence looks good and we have option, especially when Jazz is back.

So all in all I’d expect maybe 1 signing in Jan, 2 if we cash in on Gunnar.
    Feeney is only with us until January anyway. I think we'll get another winger, if we can and maybe a striker if Zohore isn't fit by then.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Cracking piece Paul , I enjoyed that

Some people are born worriers.

How to survive in the premier league - copy what Burnley do or Watford have done.

When the Jacks went up - they had players that had stayed with the team from the lower leagues - it can be done and Burnley have proved you dont need all the tricks and skills - you need a switched on manager and a team that has no prima-donnas, is motivated and well organised defensively.

Just enjoy the ride. For the record - this team has a few premier level players in my opinion.

Manga, Bamba, Hoilett, Paterson, Morrison,Ralls, NML, Gunnarson, Zohore (perhaps) would get into any lower half squad. But let's not dream at the moment - lets get to the end of April first and see how we have shaped up.
    Watford are a good footballing team. As were the JBs when they first went up. I haven't seen much of Burnley, but they seem more like Cardiff than the the other two teams I mentioned. IE hardworking, organized, disciplined etc.