+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Disturbing books , my top three

Disturbing books , my top three

Fiction ...... American Psycho ..........horrific graphic violence in that , had nightmares after reading it ........if the film had been anything like the book it would never have got a certificate

History......Enemy At The Gates ......graphic stories of the horror of the battle for Stalingrad.......cannibalism of German prisoners on each other in order to survive in the extreme cold

Modern life .....The Dirt , Motley Crue.......I always hated that band even more so after reading this tale of drugged up scumballs abusing women simply because they could

Re: Disturbing books , my top three

Can't be arsed with fiction books. Far too much non-fiction to keep me going for the rest of my life.

Just finished Enemy At The Gates and it is both sickening yet compulsive reading. Looking for some non-biased history of Poland during WWII to read. I have been there a few times recently and was saddened by the history I saw and read up on. Shafted by the nazis and red army in equal proportions.

Loved The Dirt. Love Motley Crue. Not sure how much of it is bullshit. If it isn't pretty sure that most of them would be looking at doing time for the 'confessions' in the book. Heard that Stephen Pearcey's (Ratt) book is a great read.

The worst music realted book I have read was Steven Adler's book - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003YL44...ng=UTF8&btkr=1 - truly harrowing descriptions of child abuse.

Just out of interest do you read proper books or do you have a Kindle?

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    Can't be arsed with fiction books. Far too much non-fiction to keep me going for the rest of my life.

Just finished Enemy At The Gates and it is both sickening yet compulsive reading. Looking for some non-biased history of Poland during WWII to read. I have been there a few times recently and was saddened by the history I saw and read up on. Shafted by the nazis and red army in equal proportions.

It's a worrying read , yes the poles were killed and the women raped by the advancing red army

Loved The Dirt. Love Motley Crue. Not sure how much of it is bullshit. If it isn't pretty sure that most of them would be looking at doing time for the 'confessions' in the book. Heard that Stephen Pearcey's (Ratt) book is a great read.

Like ratt, dangerous but worth the risk is a great song

The worst music realted book I have read was Steven Adler's book - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003YL44...ng=UTF8&btkr=1 - truly harrowing descriptions of child abuse.

Adler was abused ? Poor bastard

Proper books , like a hard copy , like my music , can't be doing with all this downloading albums nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Proper books , like a hard copy , like my music , can't be doing with all this downloading albums nonsense
    Shame - could have sorted you out with some good reads I have acquired recently if you had an e-reader.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post

Ditto. There's so much history, science and information about the world out there to absorb. I like autobiographies too (if they aren't embellished).

Fiction....The Bible

American Psychi has horrific violence in it, but after a while I found it really funny. It's almost Tom and Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Ditto. There's so much history, science and information about the world out there to absorb. I like autobiographies too (if they aren't embellished).
    Reading Frank Skinner's at the moment , very funny

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    American Psychi has horrific violence in it, but after a while I found it really funny. It's almost Tom and Jerry.
    I found it very disturbing

Sludge's Daily Diary (1985-1994)
    Sludge's Daily Diary (1995-2004)
    Sludge's Daily Diary (2005-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Leave it out laddy

The Bible

The Koran

The Tanach

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    The Bible

The Koran

The Tanach
    Fair point

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I see what you did there. Very good.

What you watching on TV tonight Sludge?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I see what you did there. Very good.

What you watching on TV tonight Sludge?
    The championship at nine o clock , the rest of the goals from the other two divisions after that , then full metal jacket at eleven on ITV 4

What are you watching ?

The championship at nine o clock , the rest of the goals from the other two divisions after that , then full metal jacket at eleven on ITV 4

What are you watching ?
    Full Metal Jacket quality film

What are you watching ?
    Same to start then reading The Pilgrim.

Diary of A Chilean Concentration Camp was a tough book to read.

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk is just ****ed up but amazing. Some of the stuff in that is seriously wrong but genius writing.

What are you watching ?
    Full Metal Jacket gets rubbish after a certain scene in a toilet - up to that point it’s brilliant.

I found Wasp Factory pretty disturbing.

Regarding the Motley Crue/Nikki Sixx books: most drug stories are exaggerated, but I'll be honest, I do enjoy them. However, I found Keith Richards' book to be pompous and annoying. I think I stopped reading around Exile On Main Street.

Most disturbing - No Country for Old Men - not because of the underlying theme, or because I couldn't understand what was going on, but because there was absolutely no punctuation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Most disturbing - No Country for Old Men - not because of the underlying theme, or because I couldn't understand what was going on, but because there was absolutely no punctuation.
    The film is unpleasant

Quote Originally Posted by CopenhagenBlue View Post
    Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk is just ****ed up but amazing. Some of the stuff in that is seriously wrong but genius writing.
    That's on my ever expanding list of books to get to, may put it nearer the top.