+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sky is a no go. After decent internet with a basic tv package was thinking something like BT.

Re: Sky is a no go. After decent internet with a basic tv package was thinking something like BT.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    BT TV same as sky. Price creeps up and up. I’m stuck with it for another 6 months. Get a Now TV smart box. That will allow you to dip into sky content as and when you please and also live freeview tv. Get a fire TV box or stick to allow you Netflix and Amazon etc. Plus all your catch ups.

If you still want to record programs etc get a Freesat box.
    BT TV is about £15 a month on the black Friday deal. You don't get any channels starting with the word "SKY" though - unless you pay extra.

However, when I went to add the TV, they increased my broadband to £57 a month. Therefore, I'm not adding their TV service.

Netflix is worth every penny, absolutely love Netflix.

Re: Sky is a no go. After decent internet with a basic tv package was thinking something like BT.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I've got an android box and Netflix etc, bothers me not one bit what she has downstairs..but sky is a no go apparently.

Deals I've seen have the price capped?
    A lot of people seem to be cottoning on to the rip off that Sky has become. Also, lots of people are rightly pissed off that they are paying more for fewer services than friends/family/neighbours. Sky is outdated anyway, as is BT TV. Streaming services are the way forward, I'd be interested in the age demographics of Sky subscribers. Even my old man has chucked it in - I told him to write down the channels he was watching as he watched them. When I saw the list, the vast majority were on free-to-air channels. Sky boast about 340 channels, but most are free to air.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I've been with TalkTalk for about 6 years and never had a problem. Don't watch much TV so having an all singing and dancing TV package would be wasted. Managed to bag Sky Sports for £11 a month for 18 months back in the summer. Again, never had an issue with being able to watch it even though it's streamed over the internet.
    How many e-mails have you got about your personal details being compromised. I had 3 in the space of 6 months, and the ****s still refused to see it as a breach of contract. Which it was.

What speed is the internet? They have a 30 quid deal now but it definitely isn't all that lot you have..is the entertainment selection of channels any good?
    With BT you get all the channels that you pay for with Sky, except the ones starting with "SKY". However, you may lose a lot of free to air satellite channels, but with most of those having a top viewing audience that is less than a Cardiff City home gate, I doubt you'd even miss them.

all you need is a good iptv and a good plex account

What speed is the internet? They have a 30 quid deal now but it definitely isn't all that lot you have..is the entertainment selection of channels any good?
    Just did 2 speed tests using wireless broadband.
    One gave 48.5mbps download & 18.4mbps upload & the other (Which?) gave 51.1 & 18.8.
    Don"t know if those figures are any good for you but the performance seems fine to me.
    I think that my BT superfast fibre optic broadband advertises speeds of up to 76mbps but that is obviously dependant on certain factors.
    Yes I watch a few of the entertainment plus package channels.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Where have half the posts on the thread gone?
    I can see deleted posts, nothing has been deleted from this thread

Quote Originally Posted by headlight View Post
    Just did 2 speed tests using wireless broadband.
    One gave 48.5mbps download & 18.4mbps upload & the other (Which?) gave 51.1 & 18.8.
    Don"t know if those figures are any good for you but the performance seems fine to me.
    I think that my BT superfast fibre optic broadband advertises speeds of up to 76mbps but that is obviously dependant on certain factors.
    Yes I watch a few of the entertainment plus package channels.
    Got 37 off sky atm and it's fine for browsing on my phone and tablet..signal does drop down bars when upstairs so I use an adapter thingy that plugs in to the Wi-Fi downstairs and I have a plug upstairs with an Ethernet cable to be able to stream. 48 would be fine, I'd definitely get nearer the full speed here too..I could swear blind I've had tests faster than the advertised 37 off sky!

I don’t no anything about BT TV, I have 2 Tivo boxes with virgin and decent broadband at mo, free BT sport with that. Can you get multi room with BT?
    Paying about £75 a month currently.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I don’t no anything about BT TV, I have 2 Tivo boxes with virgin and decent broadband at mo, free BT sport with that. Can you get multi room with BT?
    Paying about £75 a month currently.
    I went for bt earlier sorted it all online.

No set up cost as I'll do it myself and 40 quid a month. I noticed you can pay a fiver a month for an extra box, was in the basket and just scrolling down to add extras.

I went for bt earlier sorted it all online.

No set up cost as I'll do it myself and 40 quid a month. I noticed you can pay a fiver a month for an extra box, was in the basket and just scrolling down to add extras.
    They'll put your prices up within the next six months. They've just done it for existing customers.

https://www.moneywise.co.uk/news/201...rt-price-rises

Good luck with their customer service department. I know they are all terrible but I've had Sky, Virgin and BT and BT are the worst by a country mile. The box is good though and the broadband is quick.

Quote Originally Posted by El Horno View Post
    They'll put your prices up within the next six months. They've just done it for existing customers.

Good luck with their customer service department. I know they are all terrible but I've had Sky, Virgin and BT and BT are the worst by a country mile. The box is good though and the broadband is quick.
    Shirley if there's a contract that's the price we pay until it's renewed?
    I don't bother much with customer service never have with my mobile or with tv etc.

Yes I got an email from them a couple of weeks ago saying that my price was going up.
    They also increased their prices last April.
    As BT are breaking their contract with you it means that you can cancel the contract penalty free.
    What I will do in the next week or so is contact them & say that I am not prepared to pay any more.
    If they do not contact me by the end of the month offering to either keep my price the same or offer me a better deal I will approach Plusnet (a wholly owned subsidiary of BT) & start the ball rolling to switch to them.
    Once BT receive a migration request from Plusnet their retentions dept will contact me & offer me a good deal.
    I have gone through this rigmarole every time BT have upped their prices or my contract has been due for renewal.
    A lot of the other providers up their prices mid contract as well, not just BT
    Plusnet – increased home phone prices from 29 June
    Sky - upped broadband, TV and call prices from 1 March
    TalkTalk upped call rates and legacy broadband and mobile prices from 1 August
    Virgin Media increased broadband, phone and TV prices from 1 November.

Quote Originally Posted by El Horno View Post

It’s this stuff that makes me bother if it’s worth it.....it’s always going to be around £75 isn’t it? Yes I could go to sky or bt and get it half price for 6 months but is it worth it really. No broadband is as good as virgins is it and that the main thing I want. Misses wants her tivo box in bedroom to watch her crap and the kids are happy with wi fi etc....or I could go through changing it all for a weeks shopping.
    Sky q is a game changer if you can place a tv anywhere in the house without cables etc but I’m sure virgin will have that soon.

Shirley if there's a contract that's the price we pay until it's renewed?
    I don't bother much with customer service never have with my mobile or with tv etc.
    Would that it were. Read the smallprint.

I hope you don't need their customer services dept. I have not been so lucky.

And don't call me Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    It’s this stuff that makes me bother if it’s worth it.....it’s always going to be around £75 isn’t it? Yes I could go to sky or bt and get it half price for 6 months but is it worth it really. No broadband is as good as virgins is it and that the main thing I want. Misses wants her tivo box in bedroom to watch her crap and the kids are happy with wi fi etc....or I could go through changing it all for a weeks shopping.
    Sky q is a game changer if you can place a tv anywhere in the house without cables etc but I’m sure virgin will have that soon.
    If it's quality you want and price is secondary, then it's Virgin every time. Unfortunately for me, I've moved from the big smoke and don't have cable. It's like living in the dark ages!

I’m lumbered with sky for a property I rent out down in Pembrokeshire, not like I can ring the feckers up and threaten to leave, they just laugh down the phone.......
    BT is an option these days I guess......

I have had my £25 package deal (£30 with the mobile sim card) since April & it is supposed to go up in January so 10 months.
    Even then my deal is only going up by £2.50 but as it is mid contract I don"t see why I should pay a single penny more as BT contracted me to £25 for 2 years not £27.50.
    I will be firm with them & based on every other time I have dealt with them they will either back down or offer me something that costs more than £2 a month normally to keep me as a customer.
    BTW I don"t bother dealing with their Indian call centres as they are a waste of time, I only deal with their UK based staff as you will get sense out of them & they are the only ones able to offer deals.
    It is just a pain that you have to go through the rigmarole of threatening to leave once a year.

Just read BT"s email properly.
    I have had my present deal since last March 7th so it would be 11 months come the January 7th price rise.
    However in the email I found this
    "We recommend
    Keep your current broadband for the same price you pay today"
    If I sign up to a new 18 month deal by the 17th December so as my only rise was £2.50, on my broadband & calls, I can sign up for another 18 months now for the same package at the same price & renegotiate the extra"s I have for free in September 2018.

Well just signed up for another 18 months at the same price as the last 11 months.
    According to the email my cloud storage has been doubled from 100gb"s to 200gb"s (what ever that is) FOC.