+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If we manage promotion this season

If we manage promotion this season

Do you think it would be a bigger, better achievement than the last one?

Re: If we manage promotion this season

Gotta be.Warnock has nothing like the budget Malky had.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Plus it would be achieved playing in our rightful colours! Lol!

My memory of the first Premiership promotion is that the push was remorseless, almost unstoppable.

This time around, despite being in a similar position points-wise, I think promotion will be more of a fight and, if achieved, it will be more satisfying.

Probably. Saying that we were Champions and won it with ease.

Marshall though won us so many points that season.

I would also say there are more genuine top two contenders this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    My memory of the first Premiership promotion is that the push was remorseless, almost unstoppable.

This time around, despite being in a similar position points-wise, I think promotion will be more of a fight and, if achieved, it will be more satisfying.
    This is my thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    I think that underestimates the amazing job Malky did. Our budget wasn’t that fantastic and we bulldozed the league.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I think that underestimates the amazing job Malky did. Our budget wasn’t that fantastic and we bulldozed the league.
    12 million wasn't it? With the way player prices have gone id imagine what we bought then would be worth 30 million to buy today...

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    12 million wasn't it? With the way player prices have gone id imagine what we bought then would be worth 30 million to buy today...
    After taking over from Jones, Malky brought in (fees taken from Transfermarkt, most complete list I can find even if some figures look slightly odd) Kenny Miller (£900k), Ben Turner (£675k), Filip Kiss (loan fee: £567k), Joe Mason (£252k), Kadeem Harris (£162k), Craig Conway, Don Cowie, Robert Earnshaw, Aron Gunnarsson, Andrew Taylor, Rudy Gestede (all free). In terms of transfer and loan fees, that's a smidge over £2.5million for 11 players. We definitely made a profit overall on our summer transfer activity in 2011/12.

The following summer we added (fees paid only) Nicky Maynard (£2.84m), Kim Bo-Kyung (£2.70m), Etien Velikonja (£1.80m), Craig Noone (£1.13m), Jordon Mutch (£1.13m), Fraizer Campbell (£698k), Matthew Connolly (£572k), Filip Kiss (£567k), Tommy Smith (£342k), coming in at just short of £12million.

It has to be remembered that, during that summer, Tan and the directors decided to give Malky 1 season to win promotion. A year earlier he was given 3 seasons, but due to success in his first season, the owner and his cronies thought it could be achieved and bankrolled. As it was, Maynard was injured early on and rarely featured. Velikonja was, by all accounts, a Tan signing, as I'm guessing Kim was. Noone, Mutch, Campbell, Connolly and Smith were well worth their fees. Kiss, who was often involved during 2011/12 ended up not being played. We didn't sign many duds under Malky, most of our failures during his Championship time were brought in by others (Earnie, for example, wasn't wanted by Malky).

I'm not sure that lot would cost £30m if they were bought now as they were back then. Maynard would have probably been quite a bit more expensive (the cost of strikers has risen more than the rest arguably).

It is a certainty that we had somewhat of a threadbare squad during 2011/12 due to the number of players we were left with (I recall Jones having a similar scenario to deal with when he took over). Arguably we had more strength in depth than we did back then, so a promotion push, given the right wheeling and dealing, could cost less than it did 5 years ago.

Winning 10 in a row about this time was the main factor, we cruised to it and even finished quite boringly with lots of draws if I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Winning 10 in a row about this time was the main factor, we cruised to it and even finished quite boringly with lots of draws if I remember.
    This.

We were dreadful the backend of the season and very fortunate that everyone around us was dropping points

That promotion was just weird anyway. Take the last game at Burnley when we were already up we took 1500 fans, terrible. 25 years earlier in the dungeon we got promoted to division 3 and took 3000 despite a very limited team with one or 2 decent players at best.

First Team

For me it would be a far bigger achievement yet would mean a lot less.
    The desire of seeing us in the top league was an almost unimaginable dream going back a long way.
    Once achieved and the underwhelming season there has taken away the excitement that once went hand in hand with the ambition to see us up there with the big guns of the Premiership.
    Obviously, I want us to do well but cannot get too excited about the prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Do you think it would be a bigger, better achievement than the last one?
    Not a chance of promotion, so no and no.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Not a chance of promotion, so no and no.
    Thats what I like, a nice optimistic post. Explain how exactly you reached that opinion. All the available information indicates the exact opposite.

Can’t see it happening either to be honest, love to, imagine us going up and the jacks plummeting back to where they belong.......oh the joy

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    For me it would be a far bigger achievement yet would mean a lot less.
    The desire of seeing us in the top league was an almost unimaginable dream going back a long way.
    Once achieved and the underwhelming season there has taken away the excitement that once went hand in hand with the ambition to see us up there with the big guns of the Premiership.
    Obviously, I want us to do well but cannot get too excited about the prospect.
    I feel the same way. The Holy Grail was getting to the top division. I thought we were going to do it when we went one up against Blackpool and losing that day was heartbreaking (I cried it hurt that much). I’d have loved that side to have played in the Prem(with some defensive additions I still think it would’ve held its own)

Going up was still great under Malky -we’d been knocking at the door for a few years, so my expectations always remained high.

It did look like we were on a massive downward spiral though until Warnock arrived and whilst it would be a great achievement to go up it won’t feel the same for me. Perhaps if it took another 15 years or more it would again - I imagine Bristol City fans or even Forest fans would be euphoric if they did it - but it’s just too soon for me - the scars haven’t healed and I have little faith we’d be competitive which would make it a shit experience again.

Of course that would all change immediately with 6 straight wins at the start of another season up there 😀

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Thats what I like, a nice optimistic post. Explain how exactly you reached that opinion. All the available information indicates the exact opposite.
    Crystal ball in the living room.
    Actually people are being a bit premature regarding promotion, let’s see how it looks like end of March beginning of April. Until then just let’s not speculate.

If we do get promoted it will be because of our defence. We need to score more goals.

International

After 5 games peoiple were sayinbg wait till we've played 20 then see if we are still in the top 6. well? now i hear people sayoing wait until after christmas. now you're saying March.
    Whatever happens next we have 40 points from our 19 games. historically that is automatic promotion scoring.
    Our 13 against goall tally is none to shoddy. yes we had Marshall last time but rtheridge isn't doing so bad and the defence is pretty sound all round.
    We have been short some of our most influential players lately and still won 3 games. I see nothing to suggest a sudden implosino or a surge by others.
    we have beaten all the top sides and i don't think there is too much to fear in the second legs.

so why not think of promotion? At the moment it is a likley as it will be anytime in the future.
    The doom and gloom merchants won't like it though, it's just not city if there is nothing going wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    After 5 games peoiple were sayinbg wait till we've played 20 then see if we are still in the top 6. well? now i hear people sayoing wait until after christmas. now you're saying March.
    Whatever happens next we have 40 points from our 19 games. historically that is automatic promotion scoring.
    Our 13 against goall tally is none to shoddy. yes we had Marshall last time but rtheridge isn't doing so bad and the defence is pretty sound all round.
    We have been short some of our most influential players lately and still won 3 games. I see nothing to suggest a sudden implosino or a surge by others.
    we have beaten all the top sides and i don't think there is too much to fear in the second legs.

so why not think of promotion? At the moment it is a likley as it will be anytime in the future.
    The doom and gloom merchants won't like it though, it's just not city if there is nothing going wrong.
    Good post

4 wins in a row over the Xmas period did the job last time - it left us in such a strong position we were able to be average and still go up.

Same again this Xmas please!

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Near enough. 13 wins from 18 was an incredible run, made all the more curious in that 12 of them were by a single goal. We won 3 of our last 13, drawing 6 of the last 8. At the end of that 18 game streak we were top by 7 points. We won 5 points from the next 5 games and were still top by 7 points!

From the beginning of March we won 17 points from 13 games, Hull won 17 points from 12 games and Watford won 15 points from 12 games. Thankfully for us, our main promotion rivals had a remarkable drop in form, too.