+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If we manage promotion this season

Re: If we manage promotion this season

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Here is a stat from BBC Wales today , if you compare the previous promotion season to this one - then we are ahead of schedule in direct comparison. All pretty meaningless halfway through a season but it gives you an idea that we are on the right track re games/points ratio
    Where's the link?

If we do it, it would mean so much more this time. It felt hollow and meaningless in red. Plus I’m really enjoying the football this season, and the way the opposition fans are whingeing like big babies every time they get turned over.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Crystal ball in the living room.
    Actually people are being a bit premature regarding promotion, let’s see how it looks like end of March beginning of April. Until then just let’s not speculate.
    Same was being said back in September - about what our position looks like at Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    After taking over from Jones, Malky brought in (fees taken from Transfermarkt, most complete list I can find even if some figures look slightly odd) Kenny Miller (£900k), Ben Turner (£675k), Filip Kiss (loan fee: £567k), Joe Mason (£252k), Kadeem Harris (£162k), Craig Conway, Don Cowie, Robert Earnshaw, Aron Gunnarsson, Andrew Taylor, Rudy Gestede (all free). In terms of transfer and loan fees, that's a smidge over £2.5million for 11 players. We definitely made a profit overall on our summer transfer activity in 2011/12.

The following summer we added (fees paid only) Nicky Maynard (£2.84m), Kim Bo-Kyung (£2.70m), Etien Velikonja (£1.80m), Craig Noone (£1.13m), Jordon Mutch (£1.13m), Fraizer Campbell (£698k), Matthew Connolly (£572k), Filip Kiss (£567k), Tommy Smith (£342k), coming in at just short of £12million.

It has to be remembered that, during that summer, Tan and the directors decided to give Malky 1 season to win promotion. A year earlier he was given 3 seasons, but due to success in his first season, the owner and his cronies thought it could be achieved and bankrolled. As it was, Maynard was injured early on and rarely featured. Velikonja was, by all accounts, a Tan signing, as I'm guessing Kim was. Noone, Mutch, Campbell, Connolly and Smith were well worth their fees. Kiss, who was often involved during 2011/12 ended up not being played. We didn't sign many duds under Malky, most of our failures during his Championship time were brought in by others (Earnie, for example, wasn't wanted by Malky).

I'm not sure that lot would cost £30m if they were bought now as they were back then. Maynard would have probably been quite a bit more expensive (the cost of strikers has risen more than the rest arguably).

It is a certainty that we had somewhat of a threadbare squad during 2011/12 due to the number of players we were left with (I recall Jones having a similar scenario to deal with when he took over). Arguably we had more strength in depth than we did back then, so a promotion push, given the right wheeling and dealing, could cost less than it did 5 years ago.
    He made up for it the next season

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    If we do it, it would mean so much more this time. It felt hollow and meaningless in red. Plus I’m really enjoying the football this season, and the way the opposition fans are whingeing like big babies every time they get turned over.
    This. Exactly how I feel.

Not a chance of promotion, so no and no.
    That’s why I said “IF”. Keep up!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    After 5 games peoiple were sayinbg wait till we've played 20 then see if we are still in the top 6. well? now i hear people sayoing wait until after christmas. now you're saying March.
    Whatever happens next we have 40 points from our 19 games. historically that is automatic promotion scoring.
    Our 13 against goall tally is none to shoddy. yes we had Marshall last time but rtheridge isn't doing so bad and the defence is pretty sound all round.
    We have been short some of our most influential players lately and still won 3 games. I see nothing to suggest a sudden implosino or a surge by others.
    we have beaten all the top sides and i don't think there is too much to fear in the second legs.

so why not think of promotion? At the moment it is a likley as it will be anytime in the future.
    The doom and gloom merchants won't like it though, it's just not city if there is nothing going wrong.
    Exactly, some people are analysing this far too much - we're going for promotion, so I want us to go up, it's as simple as that for me.

Based on experience, what I do know is that if we keep on playing in the same way as we're doing now (which I'm sure we will) and go up, then in five years time there will be plenty on here saying we were boring. Also, although I don't see it happening, if we were to get so far clear of twenty two other teams in this league that we were able to saunter to automatic promotion by drawing a lot of our last ten or so games, the team would be accused of "limping over the line" in years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Can’t see it happening either to be honest, love to, imagine us going up and the jacks plummeting back to where they belong.......oh the joy
    It's going to take something very special for the Jacks to be playing in Division 4 next season.

Not a chance of promotion, so no and no.
    Not a chance? We've played 19 of the 23 teams we'll face this season and we've beaten 12 of them and only lost 3 times.

If we're still in the top two one month from today we're going to have to make some serious mistakes to be left with "no chance" come April.

Crystal ball in the living room.
    Actually people are being a bit premature regarding promotion, let’s see how it looks like end of March beginning of April. Until then just let’s not speculate.
    your speculation of "not a chance" is also speculating mind ;)

Personally I didn't enjoy the season in the upper echelons very much, I suspect I'd prefer it this time - if* we did find ourselves promoted.

* And it is still a big 'if' - in November.

I think it would be a bigger achievement given that we haven't been building towards it over a few years. I mean we have in regards to making the club stable again but not in the way of throwing money at it. It would be massive given the parachute payments ending next year. It could be one of the most important promotions in recent times. Bigger than the first with some lessons learned hopefully. If it happens. Good season so far though. Cracking stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 61adb View Post
    They really don't like us, do they?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It's going to take something very special for the Jacks to be playing in Division 4 next season.
    You never know can you be relegated 2 divisions for only have 1 shot on goal a game? The Swansea way.....lol

I doubt a single team will catch Wolves now, let alone two; the main threat is complacency, rather than other teams