+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Effort v Skill

Effort v Skill

So obviously both is best but putting a load of effort in is a skill in itself. Getting mugged off by the rest of the championship managers and fan boards as being all sweat is missing the point. Old soaks like Kenny Burns just makes it all the better.

If we could play against 11 agsinst George Bests every week we would. And we would wallop em 7 nil. But we obviously cant. It's always been us v them at The City. It's getting like that again bit by bit. That's when we are at our best.

Re: Effort v Skill

I will go further and say most teams would kill for our effort but won't temper the perceived skill they toss over. You need both. 7 players missing and still points on the board. Woooooooooooooooosh

Plus Neil Watnock isn't anti football he is what got me back into liking it after some years of dross. I seen the worst dross of city's history so I know what anti football is. Linda Clemo was the only reason I went sometimes.

Certainly got me enjoying football again.

I was all but gone. After all that had happened to the club, then slade, then being bottom of the championship* is all but given up. I'll admit I didn't even check our scores during games and might look on a Monday, as I began to enjoy my life away from football.

Step up Neil Warnock. Hadn't always been his biggest fan, but some of his interviews were funny i remember..so when he came to us I have him a chance. Immediately found myself interested again. He gets everyone involved. We could have stayed bottom all year and scraped staying up on goal difference and I'd still have stayed interested, because of EFFORT. It stands out a mile.

If Neil Warnock is anti football, then **** football.

When you follow City your whole lifetime you get used to the good players coming and going.
    They light up the games and make the whole experience seem worthwhile.
    Your Chopras Koumas Ernies Dave Bennetts Ramseys Tony Evans all did this but there were long periods of teams which only ever had effort.
    What i could never get used to after doing my weeks graft is watching a team going through the motions with no effort.
    Under Warnock every player gives their all and that`s all I ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    When you follow City your whole lifetime you get used to the good players coming and going.
    They light up the games and make the whole experience seem worthwhile.
    Your Chopras Koumas Ernies Dave Bennetts Ramseys Tony Evans all did this but there were long periods of teams which only ever had effort.
    What i could never get used to after doing my weeks graft is watching a team going through the motions with no effort.
    Under Warnock every player gives their all and that`s all I ask for.
    My first game was early 90s so agree it's never all ups watching us

I used to love it when Warnock, McCarthy, Pulis used to bring teams to the City over the year. You could wind them up and they would give it back. Older blokes in track suits n boots Mick wearing shorts n boots even if it was freezing. No suits, no tank tops just football men. Loved to hate them but admired them begrudgingly and watched on while their teams ran through brick walls for them even if they didn't always win. Nothing wrong with it.

I agree. I have n't seen the best City team ever but I have seen some of the worst offerings. I used to love Dave Bennett when I was younger but you needed Gary as well. I just chuffed we back in business. Funnily enough some of the best players for me in my mind have been Ray Daniel, Nicky Platenuer, Nigel Vaughan cause they did stand out but then I loved Terry Boyle and Phil Dwyer. I remember being excited by Jorn Schwinkendorf till I seen he was sh##te. This current team had some very good players. It's good times.

Skill every time for me. Not a huge fan of Warnocks playing style but its been hugely effective so cant argue.

Always preffered the likes of Whitts, Bothroyd, Bowen, Danny Hill, Jason Fowler, Blake.etc over your Gunnars, Raes, Ainsworth, Stokers, Perrys.etc

Think you need a bit of both. And I think Warnock knows that, his QPR side was 10 donkey's who ran their bollucks off to allow Taraabt to be the best player in the champ.

That's why it's so frustrating for me seeing Tomlin, a man of genuine quality sat on the bench. Think if we can implement him into the side playing off a fully firing Zahore we could be on to a real winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Pete View Post
    Think you need a bit of both. And I think Warnock knows that, his QPR side was 10 donkey's who ran their bollucks off to allow Taraabt to be the best player in the champ.

That's why it's so frustrating for me seeing Tomlin, a man of genuine quality sat on the bench. Think if we can implement him into the side playing off a fully firing Zahore we could be on to a real winner.
    Agreed but NW clearly doesnt and whilst hes getting the results you cant argue. It does frustrate me someone like Feeney getting chances and Tomlin isnt mind. I know it means a change of shape to accomodate Tomlin but he is so much more effective than Feeney.

It's not even easy to pigeon hole a team based on skill and a team based on effort and grit.

I like watching players who can produce moments of great skill and ability. I like watching a pacy wide player providing they've got an end product. I don't particularly find endless passing around the half way line entertaining. I get frustrated with some so-called more skillful players that think that's their only role and won't put in a shift to help the team.

I've heard it said that you win the right to be able to show how good you are on the pitch. A team of grafters would (in my opinion) beat a team of skillful players who won't put the hard work in. Without the hard work in providing a platform, skillful players have less chance to show their wares.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Agreed but NW clearly doesnt and whilst hes getting the results you cant argue. It does frustrate me someone like Feeney getting chances and Tomlin isnt mind. I know it means a change of shape to accomodate Tomlin but he is so much more effective than Feeney.
    I can only presume it's to do with pace. Warnock likes having pace out wide so we have an out ball if we're forced to defend. It also makes teams think twice about pushing their centrebacks too far forward for fear of being caught over the top.

If Tomlin was going to play, I think he should replace someone like Bryson and play in an advanced position orchestrating things from the middle. I'm not so convinced of him playing out wide as he hasn't got the pace. Pilkington has a similar issue - talented footballer but no pace, so it's easier to defend against. If you've got pace either side of Tomlin then it would only help his game.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Agree can't argue with the results. Fans already calling for Tomlin even with them though, can imagine they will be getting a lot louder if results turn

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Pete View Post
    Agree can't argue with the results. Fans already calling for Tomlin even with them though, can imagine they will be getting a lot louder if results turn
    The surprise with this is that we haven't seen much from Tomlin when he has played. I think it's more that fans want to see him have the opportunity. With the court case out of the way, hopefully he can force his way in, but not at the moment when the team is winning. Similarly, with Kenneth Zohore. If Danny Ward keeps scoring goals, it would be unfair to drop him.

Tomlin should get more of a look in but it's not happening. Warnock will just point to this weeks results though. It's a funny one with Tomlin because a couple of times I think he could have made a massive difference earlier. Millwall in particular but the results keep coming so I honestly can't really argue. Is Mendez Lang skilful or is he just a supreme athlete with a good step over. Either way he is awesome. I reckon it sums championship football up with the odd exception maybe Neves or Jota.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    The surprise with this is that we haven't seen much from Tomlin when he has played. I think it's more that fans want to see him have the opportunity. With the court case out of the way, hopefully he can force his way in, but not at the moment when the team is winning. Similarly, with Kenneth Zohore. If Danny Ward keeps scoring goals, it would be unfair to drop him.
    Its unfair to say we havent seen much when hes only getting 5/10 minutes here and there every few games. He started against Ipswich and played well I thought.

Tomlin was excellent against Ipswich

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I can only presume it's to do with pace. Warnock likes having pace out wide so we have an out ball if we're forced to defend. It also makes teams think twice about pushing their centrebacks too far forward for fear of being caught over the top.

If Tomlin was going to play, I think he should replace someone like Bryson and play in an advanced position orchestrating things from the middle. I'm not so convinced of him playing out wide as he hasn't got the pace. Pilkington has a similar issue - talented footballer but no pace, so it's easier to defend against. If you've got pace either side of Tomlin then it would only help his game.
    Tomlin through the middle v Ipswich was fantastic. Of course we would keep the pace out wide. With Tomlin through the middle were a threat there too teams have to second guess rather than knowing the ball WILL go wide..
    With Harris back we have 3 fast skilful wingers to rotate in 2 positions.. so with Harris to come on for either one of Hoilett on NML then just MAYBE we can see a place for Tomlin in the team.
    Loads of games over Xmas and will be a case of 'horses for courses' in many ways..gunnar to come back as well and competition in defence...mouth watering!!

Edit. It was Bogle up top v Ipswich too and I know a couple (not necessarily on here) had written him off and moaned as he started. Tomlin kept the ball down and really helped Bogle shine..now it's not a given Zohore gets straight back in but now we have Ward scoring and know Bogle can be a threat..it's not such a bad attack after all!!

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Tomlin through the middle v Ipswich was fantastic. Of course we would keep the pace out wide. With Tomlin through the middle were a threat there too teams have to second guess rather than knowing the ball WILL go wide..
    With Harris back we have 3 fast skilful wingers to rotate in 2 positions.. so with Harris to come on for either one of Hoilett on NML then just MAYBE we can see a place for Tomlin in the team.
    Loads of games over Xmas and will be a case of 'horses for courses' in many ways..gunnar to come back as well and competition in defence...mouth watering!!

Edit. It was Bogle up top v Ipswich too and I know a couple (not necessarily on here) had written him off and moaned as he started. Tomlin kept the ball down and really helped Bogle shine..now it's not a given Zohore gets straight back in but now we have Ward scoring and know Bogle can be a threat..it's not such a bad attack after all!!
    its great to have so many options now Dem
    as you say with the Christmas period , with so many games in a short space of time
    that's going to be vital

Quote Originally Posted by I.8.POLITICAL.CORRECTNESS View Post
    its great to have so many options now Dem
    as you say with the Christmas period , with so many games in a short space of time
    that's going to be vital
    Same 11 is good for continuity if we're performing but rotation will be important too won't it. Can't wait to get the half season tickets..

Same 11 is good for continuity if we're performing but rotation will be important too won't it. Can't wait to get the half season tickets..
    yeah rotation will be important Dem , we will notice how important come April time , well hopefully
    its a shame I live and work in Kent I got to work around that for City games
    I know a few of my friends and some family back home in Cardiff are getting half season tickets as Christmas presents
    to themselves

yeah rotation will be important Dem , we will notice how important come April time , well hopefully
    its a shame I live and work in Kent I got to work around that for City games
    I know a few of my friends and some family back home in Cardiff are getting half season tickets as Christmas presents
    to themselves
    Wouldn't have been worth it for me with midweek games as my old job was shifts so I always planned on a half season ticket as I'm in a new job now and time off for games won't be an issue..and there is only 1 out of 12 games my daughter will miss that falls on a Tuesday night the next half of the season.
    Add to that cheap hull prices and she will see 12/13 games. I'm all for that!!

Wouldn't have been worth it for me with midweek games as my old job was shifts so I always planned on a half season ticket as I'm in a new job now and time off for games won't be an issue..and there is only 1 out of 12 games my daughter will miss that falls on a Tuesday night the next half of the season.
    Add to that cheap hull prices and she will see 12/13 games. I'm all for that!!
    12/13 games
    its the Tuesday night games witch could be tricky for parents with young children mate
    but to make it more affordable for families that's always a good thing
    I wont be doing Hull mate I cant get back for that
    on the flip side though I will be doing

Norwich , Bolton , Fulham

12/13 games
    its the Tuesday night games witch could be tricky for parents with young children mate
    but to make it more affordable for families that's always a good thing
    I wont be doing Hull mate I cant get back for that
    on the flip side though I will be doing

Norwich , Bolton , Fulham
    Not sure exactly how many midweek games we had home in first half but I know with other stuff she had to do and me with work it wasn't worth it.

Working for a living does have it's downsides