https://youtu.be/pZ68OOoSnc4

Saw em on their last tour but he was already shot to bits

Scott Gorham , great guitar

Re: Lizzy , what a band

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    https://youtu.be/pZ68OOoSnc4

Saw em on their last tour but he was already shot to bits

Scott Gorham , great guitar
    I really liked the early Eric Bell period, in particular the Vagabonds of The Western World album.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I really liked the early Eric Bell period, in particular the Vagabonds of The Western World album.
    Yep , nothing wrong with that

Shades of a blue orphanage is good too

Saw them at the Capitol in 1976

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/thin-...-2bc7a8e2.html

What a band. Gorham and Robertson were fantastic together. Downey massively underrated and Phil, well what can one say. Legendary band.

Thanks for reminding me about them Sludge.

Saw them in the Capitol too.

Started with Jailbreak if I remember, with some blue flashing police beacons on the speakers.

I was only a kid at the time, I didn't even care about Englishman playing for Wales back then!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny London View Post

What a band. Gorham and Robertson were fantastic together. Downey massively underrated and Phil, well what can one say. Legendary band.

Great hard rock band

I only saw them live once. 1983 Sunday headliner at Reading Festival.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    I only saw them live once. 1983 Sunday headliner at Reading Festival.
    My Missus done us all. Saw Lizzy in the Top Rank December 1972 supporting Slade with Suzi Quattro also backing!!!

http://www.45worlds.com/live/venue/t...ite-uk972534/4

'When I was going over, the Cork and Kerry mountains' I think of them every time i do

My Missus done us all. Saw Lizzy in the Top Rank December 1972 supporting Slade with Suzi Quattro also backing!!!

http://www.45worlds.com/live/venue/t...ite-uk972534/4
    Shame there are no reviews on that site.

I think I may have seen them on there first tour of UK supporting Slade and Suzie Quatro in the Rank , a three piece band with Eric Bell , introduced us to there new single ""whiskey in the jar "" I also think I saw their last mainland gig with Phil Lynott at the Reading festival , not 100% sure , but it makes for a good conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I think I may have seen them on there first tour of UK supporting Slade and Suzie Quatro in the Rank , a three piece band with Eric Bell , introduced us to there new single ""whiskey in the jar "" I also think I saw their last mainland gig with Phil Lynott at the Reading festival , not 100% sure , but it makes for a good conversation.
    Yes, late 1972 tour. I saw them at the Rainbow in London. Slade were definitely the headline band, but I can't remember what order the other two played in.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    Saw them in the Capitol too.

Started with Jailbreak if I remember, with some blue flashing police beacons on the speakers.

I was only a kid at the time, I didn't even care about Englishman playing for Wales back then!
    I was there too but my memory of it is pretty hazy.

Saw them in Sophia Gardens on the Angel of a Death tour.Phil is a legend.

Me too. They did have blue police lights as they come on, on the jailbreak tour. A band that couldn’t be bettered for me
    Last edited by gillsam; 29-11-17 at 16:21. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by gillsam View Post
    Me too. They did have blue police lights as they come on, on the jailbreak tour. A band that couldn’t be bettered for me
    Indeed , the perfect rock band

Love jailbreak , bad reputation , Johnny the fox , classic albums

https://youtu.be/IyaRI6760Ig

I am a warrior .....I serve the death machine

What an amazing intro that song has

Awesome, one of the best gigs I have ever been too, and I've seen thousands. The best version of 'Still In Love With You' ever, where Lynott starts singing parts of 'Old Flame', as the song reaches it's epic climax. Far better even, than the version on 'Live & Dangerous'.

First saw the band the previous year in '75 at Cardiff Castle. They were on the same bill as Man, Steeleye Span and 10cc. Lizzy were on first and blew the others right outta the water! I spoke to Scott many years later about this (and other gigs too) and he told me the band were nervous as feck as they were the first band on, and it was the their first big outdoor gig. They were determined to whup the other bands that were on the bill that day, arses, and this they did in spades. He was also temporarily deafened by the loud bombs that went off at the start of 10cc's set as he was stood right next to them. The guy should really right a book, as he has so many brilliant tales to tell.

Lizzy were never as good as they were with the Lynott/Downey/Gorham/Robertson line up. Cracks started to appear once Lynott & Robbo fell out. Also drugs took over and ruined Philo's muse from 79's Black Rose album and on. What a sad and tragic death for someone so talented!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Awesome, one of the best gigs I have ever been too, and I've seen thousands. The best version of 'Still In Love With You' ever, where Lynott starts singing parts of 'Old Flame', as the song reaches it's epic climax. Far better even, than the version on 'Live & Dangerous'.

First saw the band the previous year in '75 at Cardiff Castle. They were on the same bill as Man, Steeleye Span and 10cc. Lizzy were on first and blew the others right outta the water! I spoke to Scott many years later about this (and other gigs too) and he told me the band were nervous as feck as they were the first band on, and it was the their first big outdoor gig. They were determined to whup the other bands that were on the bill that day, arses, and this they did in spades. He was also temporarily deafened by the loud bombs that went off at the start of 10cc's set as he was stood right next to them. The guy should really right a book, as he has so many brilliant tales to tell.

Lizzy were never as good as they were with the Lynott/Downey/Gorham/Robertson line up. Cracks started to appear once Lynott & Robbo fell out. Also drugs took over and ruined Philo's muse from 79's Black Rose album and on. What a sad and tragic death for someone so talented!

Robertson was an alcoholic , Philo and Gorham were heroin addicts , it was never going to end well....

Saw Brian Robertson playing guitar for motorhead , another perfect day tour , he was shocking

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    Yes, late 1972 tour. I saw them at the Rainbow in London. Slade were definitely the headline band, but I can't remember what order the other two played in.
    At the Rank Lizzy warmed up , Suzi was already charting ,god that leather suite had me in a right larther ,I can tell you , right hard on gig.

I saw Lizzy several times, Cardiff & Bristol, then got invited to see their last concert in Dublin as a friend was distantly related to Phil.
    Had back stage passes to the gig & went to the after party with Phil at the Pink Elelephant club in Dublin.
    Drank with Phil at the after party.
    He was wonderfully friendly to us that night (John Sykes on the other hand was an arsehole).
    Unfortunately by this time the heroin had taken it"s toll & he was a mess, much worse than when I had drank with him in his hotel after his last Cardiff gig.
    It was a real shame to see him in such a state.