+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Motown vs Stax - best label?

Motown vs Stax - best label?

Although I saw the first Motown caravan tour with Little Stevie Wonder, The Supremes and Martha and the Vandellas, I much prefer the Stax output.

Gutsier and funkier.

Loved Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett and Albert King. And how the Memphis Horns got that sound from just two players often is just incredible.

Re: Motown vs Stax - best label?

I know what you mean, but I must say that, although it took me a while to appreciate this, there are some absolutely superb Motown singles - it's very rare that I jump a track on one of my playlists if it's a Motown song.

For me it has to be Motown,from pop in its purest form to the psychedelic funk of the Barret/Strong stuff of the 70's.
    Just pure bliss.

Sun.

Interesting post if you consider the two they were broken down between the mass single producing pop of Motown and that of a lesser pop market artists of Stax such as Steve Cropper, Booker T Jones ,Isaac Hayes ,Albert King who more akin to album production , and more of a sophisticated soul and funk sound .

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Although I saw the first Motown caravan tour with Little Stevie Wonder, The Supremes and Martha and the Vandellas, I much prefer the Stax output.

Gutsier and funkier.

Loved Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett and Albert King. And how the Memphis Horns got that sound from just two players often is just incredible.
    Both have their excellent, unsurpassed merits for me. Motown because it produced far more songs you can actually dance too. But I love Otis Reddings voice, and he is probably the finest singer the world has ever produced. Both labels had awesome vocalists, musicians and song writers in abundance

Both had brilliant artists and I loved both equally but Motown shades it on sheer volume of material and amount of artists.....Otis and Aretha ,Stevie and Marvin.....those were the days

Feedback

tamla motown all the way