+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Really interesting Q&A with Warnock just finished...

Really interesting Q&A with Warnock just finished...

Lots of insights in this piece:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...-live-13970907

Love the comment about Damour!

Re: Really interesting Q&A with Warnock just finished...

What a great article , absolutely top bloke , so delighted we have him . Let's hope we can keep ahead of Villa to give him the promotion he wants . Not bothered about getting stuffed every week but he has brought some happy faces back to us .

Enjoyed reading that.
    Looks like we’re stuck with him for another year whatever happens this season.
    Couldn’t be happier!

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Lots of insights in this piece:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...-live-13970907

Love the comment about Damour!
    It was an excellent evening.

Not even the loud obnoxious drunk at the back could spoil it, no matter how hard he tried. He thought he was amusing but was in a minority of one.

Interesting to read about Damour, especially the comment about his wages. Along with NML he's been the surprise package this season. Signed as an unheralded, low-risk, free transfer from French Ligue 2, he seems to have already surpassed NW's expectations. I think he's one of the reasons why Tomlin has had so little game time. Although not exactly like-for-like, I wonder if Neil would have still signed Tomlin had he known how effective Damour would turn out to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Since62 View Post

Not even the loud obnoxious drunk at the back could spoil it, no matter how hard he tried. He thought he was amusing but was in a minority of one.
    He really pissed me off

Superb !

Tony Jeffries was there was he?

Great stuff again from NW. Has there ever been a serving manager that is so down to earth, open and honest with the fans? And his enthusiasm for the job and his confidence in his own ability is infectious. If he can do it, if we go up this season, and he stays, I love what he was saying about doing it like Dyche is.

Every Warnock interview is great, I could listen to him talk about football all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Great stuff again from NW. Has there ever been a serving manager that is so down to earth, open and honest with the fans? And his enthusiasm for the job and his confidence in his own ability is infectious. If he can do it, if we go up this season, and he stays, I love what he was saying about doing it like Dyche is.
    It was a good evening. I went to the one last year. The guy knows his stuff. Good turn out too.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Tony Jeffries was there was he?

When asked if he would please pick a strong 11 in FA Cup 3rd round and take the cup seriously. His reply was "you give me a 20k crowd and I will"
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    When asked if he would please pick a strong 11 in FA Cup 3rd round and take the cup seriously. His reply was "you give me a 20k crowd and I will"
    Spedger
    He didn't sound too happy about the size of our home crowds this season did he - I don't blame him for feeling like that at all.

A very good evening - the drunk tried to ruin things, but didn't succeed.

Probably still drunk from the rugger match last Saturday l guess

Any chance of a précis? My PC will not open WOL (it times out, something to do with a flash player). Thanks in advance.

What emerged from tonight's Q & A

Warnock revealed Loic Damour was in talks for a new contract
    And that Derby County was one of the many clubs he spoke to before joining Cardiff
    He said Cardiff could be in the market for the right player in January, but doesn’t have any specific plans
    Anthony Pilkington will probably leave the club in the January window
    Warnock corrected his own quote on managing in the Premier League and hinted he could stay at the Bluebirds for another year... even if they go up
    He praised the likes of Joe Ralls, Sean Morrison, Junior Hoilett and Sol Bamba
    And even named his favourite managers and referees (scroll down to see!)

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    He didn't sound too happy about the size of our home crowds this season did he - I don't blame him for feeling like that at all.

A very good evening - the drunk tried to ruin things, but didn't succeed.
    Your are right Paul. One, if not the only thing he wasn't happy with at the club. I feel the club deserve bigger home crowds. At the same time I understand the many, and varied reasons why our crowds are not as high as we would imagine they should be. But the niggling thing is we are second in the league and that would have brought them in in the past.
    Spedger

I’d rather he didn’t revise his intention to stay in the premier league should we get there, especially as he thought the current group would be ok with a few additions.

Like we’ve seen many players over the years who were top championship players but not good enough for the Prem (Chops, Bothroyd, Whitts, Hudson to name a few ) I think as a manager Warnock falls into this category.

Just watched the pre Norwich presser.

Warnock really does know how to talk to an audience doesn't he. It's on ifollow well worth 20 minutes of anyone's time, gives some really straight answers in there too.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Just watched the pre Norwich presser.

Warnock really does know how to talk to an audience doesn't he. It's on ifollow well worth 20 minutes of anyone's time, gives some really straight answers in there too.
    He’s a more charismatic Russell Slade.

Football's better too.

Neil Warnock Q & A at Cardiff City Stadium

The man is infectious. He arrives and leaves to a standing ovation

More...

Neil Warnock held a question and answer session at Cardiff City Stadium on Wednesday night and delivered an entertaining evening.

Thanks to Wales Online here are a number of quotes from the manager.

So three wins in the last week

"It really couldn’t have got much better. We’ve had problems but we haven’t bleated on about them, with Ken and Mendez and Gunnars, and poor Kadeem too.

"But we looked at the opposition and how we could nullify them and create things. It doesn’t get better than three wins and three clean sheets in a week does it!"

C:WindowsTempphp96A.tmp

Warnock on Loic Damour

"He’s probably the lowest paid in the team at the minute but he’s underrated and a lovely lad.

"It’s very good for me because I can shout at him and he doesn’t understand me! He has to go to Sol and ask ‘what does he say’? But I’m not sure Sol tells him exactly what I say.

"He’s been a breath of fresh air. We haven’t actually lost a game when Loic has started!

"I’ve been speaking to his agent about giving Loic a new contract."

On injuries, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing and Callum Paterson

"It’ll be like having four new players, I think. Mendez was supposed to be back against Brentford but suffered a flare up.

"I was a quick winger like Mendez-Laing so I know what it’s like... but if you come back too soon it can be bad.

"So we decided to leave him against Barnsley and that he’d be ok for Saturday (Sunday). But I thought after getting the result at Barnsley why risk it?

"It augurs well if we can get one or two back in the next game and them all back by Christmas. Rhys (Healey) is looking really sharp in training and back into the full training this week, tackling and everything else, same as Paterson was.

"I spoke to Vincent about signing Paterson and Camp and they were both injured. But I knew we’d need Camp before the end of the season and we’d have Paterson by November. I said to Ken at the time ‘this is an investment for the club’, we only paid peanuts for him. He’s 23 but he looks 33... he must have had a tough upbringing! He just struggles with people running at him so that’s why I’m playing him in front. But my beautiful right back is an amazing player at the moment."

Are you looking to buy in January?

"If I wanted someone in particular I would ask, obviously Vincent has the last shout but I don’t think there’s any need to do that. We only spent £1.5m net in the summer so it’s a matter of looking. Do we need another body in that position? When I was at Sheffield United, we lost three centre-halves in a week and we couldn’t get anyone till January.

"Matt Connolly was 19th man on Saturday and there wasn’t a bit of trouble. But if I had an injury tomorrow I’d play Connolly without a minute’s hesitation. He’ll always have a job at my club because I can trust him."

I came here to be a winner

"90 per cent of winning games has nothing to do with training and tactics. You don’t take over a club and decide how you’re going to play.. you see what you’ve got. It’s amazing what lads can achieve if you’ve got that belief.

"What I say to teams is ‘I’ve not come here to pick money up because I’ve got enough. I come here to win."

Why so passionate and what about other clubs

"It’s just how I am. I get terrible nerves before a game. I can’t eat until 6 o clock after a game. It’s what drives me on, that winning feeling. When I’m on my tractor, feeding the chickens or on my school run, I can’t get that buzz. Sharon kicked me out of the house and that really got me going for Rotherham.

"It was an impossible task at a nice club with lovely people. But nothing is impossible. And it’s his own fault, if he’d given me what I wanted I would have stayed (at Rotherham)."

But you came to Cardiff

"We spoke to Blackburn and Forest and Derby County. Originally I’d been to Derby (for an interview) and I said anyone could manager Derby County for 30 games but you need me because I can manage those extra 16 games. I said to them I’ll get you promoted and then I’ll find you another manager. They said they need that stability. Guess who it was? Nigel Pearson. Three months later, he’d gone!"

You fit in well at Cardiff.

"I used to like the old Ninian Park. It is my cup of tea here. Sharon told me ‘I’ve just been on all the forums and Cardiff City websites and I can’t believe it... but they all like you!'

"Nowadays you get the sack in six games and I’m fortunate because I can do it year to year and I don’t worry about getting the sack because I think I can get a better job. When you’re younger you worry about paying the mortgage and that’s natural but I don’t have to worry about that now."

All in it together

"Vincent and the lads have learned from me. I try and build a club, it’s important we’re all together, commercial department and ticket off. I had that at Sheffield United and told them ‘you won’t know what you’ve got till I’ve gone’ and they plummeted for years.

"Chris (Wilder) is bringing it back because he’s bread and butter like me. Groundsman.. women who do the washing... kitman, we’re all together."

Goalkeepers

"I think Murphy is better than most keepers in this league. You’ve got to try and keep them onside because you don’t want them to leave. Neil (Etheridge) has had a few errors but they’re getting fewer, (Andy) Dibble is working on that. It’s only under pressure that he makes a bad kick but when I look at others’ mistakes the last few weeks... good goalies are the ones that make the fewest mistakes.

"Neil is only young, he’s not played at this level before. You can see the lads going up to him the last few weeks and they trust him. Camp is not far away either."

I want to succeed and I can see this group going all the way

"I do get driven but it’s not the financial thing, it’s wanting to succeed. I want to be proud of that team and show people ‘that’s my team’. You don’t get it very often. I’ve had seven promotions and they all still have reunions.

"This group is very very similar. This is the best staff I’ve had now. To the players, I said at my barbecue in the summer, I know if we’re not careful we’ll get promotion this year. We’ll have our critics but we’ll stick together now.

"When you’ve been in the game as long as me you can see it coming."

Pilkington to leave in January?

"Everyone knows Pilks hasn’t been in my thoughts but he hasn’t complained, he’s done well in training and I said to him ‘train and do what you can’. But the chances are he will leave in January."

If you did get promoted. Would you stay?

"We’re miles away from it at the minute. And I didn’t say I wouldn’t manage in the Premiership... I said I didn’t like it when I did. I couldn’t go into the Premiership and sign lots of foreign players,spending £10m or £15m on Antonio Whoever.

"The only way I would do it is with a squad like this, the togetherness we’ve got and do what Sean Dyche is doing. I would have to supplement what we’ve already got."

Low crowds are a disappointment

"I was disappointed with 14,000, 15,000 (crowds) and thought ‘what have I got to do?’

But I can’t let that fester and the main thing is the 250-odd who came to Barnsley and they’re my heroes. They didn’t stop singing and they didn’t half help us!"

How is that possible?

Our Neil could've gone on talking all night. Very entertaining evening and worth listening to.