+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pardew first words ...

Pardew first words ...

in the team meeting at WBA were "right then, tell me what's going wrong & how we can fix it!".

I can do that job for £40k / week as well!

Re: Pardew first words ...

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    in the team meeting at WBA were "right then, tell me what's going wrong & how we can fix it!".

I can do that job for £40k / week as well!
    Sounds like a very sensible thing to do.

The bloke is a pompous pr*ck.
    If he was chocolate he’d eat himself.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    The bloke is a pompous pr*ck.
    If he was chocolate he’d eat himself.
    Eww .. unpleasant mental picture ..

He is an enabler. Management talk for you decide and then I can blame you if it goes Tits.

To be fair, if you want to fix a team that isn't working well, you need to ask them what their perception is regarding the problems. If you don't, then they will continue to think the problem they perceive is still relevant, no matter what changes you make. If you know what your team think is wrong, you can examine that opinion, and if it's relevant change it, or if it's not, explain to the team why it isn't.

Me first words were ... Mamma!

In the real world thats good management. Engaging with your team and finding out what the are issues are, and what they can do better.

However, how well that kind of philosophy works on pampered players, on tens of thousands of pounds a week. I doubt there will be too many forthcoming about their own failings and will just blame it all on Pulis.

The airing of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    To be fair, if you want to fix a team that isn't working well, you need to ask them what their perception is regarding the problems. If you don't, then they will continue to think the problem they perceive is still relevant, no matter what changes you make. If you know what your team think is wrong, you can examine that opinion, and if it's relevant change it, or if it's not, explain to the team why it isn't.
    Used to supervise a group of lads, seems a sensible thing to do. Would also be asked the same off senior supervisors in weekly meetings.

I reckon in the real word most guys girls on the shop floor know how best to get the job they doing done. In football I don't reckon you can rule by consensus.

As well as asking what is going wrong he should be asking what is working, if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    As well as asking what is going wrong he should be asking what is working, if anything.
    They’ve won 2 games in 21. What a stupid ****ing question?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    They’ve won 2 games in 21. What a stupid ****ing question?!?!?

Don't see the problem he's new in the club and he's probably trying to get a good feel of the players

Modern ,respectful management, find out the issues, get to know the ringleader,jokers, not interested , seek a joint solution ,weed out the disengaged .

Wasn't this a simalir problem at Pulis last clubs, Stoke and Palace ?

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    I reckon in the real word most guys girls on the shop floor know how best to get the job they doing done. In football I don't reckon you can rule by consensus.
    Asking opinions of others (who have been on the inside during an unsuccessful period) in order to help identify the failings and then coming up with remedies oneself is not the same as ruling by consensus. Why would anyone choose not to glean as much relevant information as possible when taking over a club and moving it in a positive direction?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Asking opinions of others (who have been on the inside during an unsuccessful period) in order to help identify the failings and then coming up with remedies oneself is not the same as ruling by consensus. Why would anyone choose not to glean as much relevant information as possible when taking over a club and moving it in a positive direction?
    Yeah but if they knew wouldn't they already be doing it?

Yeah but if they knew wouldn't they already be doing it?
    Not necessarily. Have you ever had a boss whose methods you were unhappy with or worked for a company where your thoughts about failings were ignored etc? I recently had a meeting with someone senior in my organisation under whose wing my section was moved to after many years of a different line management chain and the change has been remarkable. The guy is a very bright cookie and chose to listen to us all and to many valid points that had been ignored for a very long time - and has set quite a few changes in place. He is far from being someone who rules by consensus but he has the wit to take advantage of a pool of intelligence beyond his own office if the reports we subsequently wrote up for him stood up to analysis.

So if I worked for you and I came to see you and said 'me n the lads all agree that our boss is a plick and we need more days off to avoid him' You wouldn do it even though it's the most consistent view shared by all the lads. You would manage the situation. Asking for views is fine of course but I reckon in this instance for this club someone coming with a plan and implementing it might be prudent. I can't imagine Alex Ferguson or Brian Clough canvassing opinion.I doubt Big Sam does either when he goes to fix relegation facing teams.

So if I worked for you and I came to see you and said 'me n the lads all agree that our boss is a plick and we need more days off to avoid him' You wouldn do it even though it's the most consistent view shared by all the lads. You would manage the situation. Asking for views is fine of course but I reckon in this instance for this club someone coming with a plan and implementing it might be prudent. I can't imagine Alex Ferguson or Brian Clough canvassing opinion.I doubt Big Sam does either when he goes to fix relegation facing teams.
    I wouldn't take much notice of anyone making such a pathetic point. It's hardly any use in intelligence gathering.

I wouldn't take much notice of anyone making such a pathetic point. It's hardly any use in intelligence gathering.
    Fsir enough. I not thinking about an office job though I thinking about football. I still maintain that the old system where by its the assistant manager who usually listens to the gripes and the manager tells the players what to do. Im sure Pardew will be asking them again how can he fix it. Many times on a Monday morning. I reckon they need telling at the moment not asking.

Fsir enough. I not thinking about an office job though I thinking about football. I still maintain that the old system where by its the assistant manager who usually listens to the gripes and the manager tells the players what to do. Im sure Pardew will be asking them again how can he fix it. Many times on a Monday morning. I reckon they need telling at the moment not asking.
    Are you now conflating the action that Pardew supposedly carried out at the juncture of taking over a failing club and projecting it as being something he will do every week?

I don't know what that really means.

The players wont either unless Clarke Carlisle makes a comeback.

Are you now conflating the action that Pardew supposedly carried out at the juncture of taking over a failing club and projecting it as being something he will do every week?
    Yes. Yes I am. His door will always be open now and lads will chip in with helpful ideas all the time like ' Let me play up front on Saturday gaffer'