+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would Cardiff have more support from the City itself if the stadium

Would Cardiff have more support from the City itself if the stadium

Was in a different part of Cardiff?

Surrounded by areas such as Grangetown, Canton, Riverside,etc which are not the most affluent of areas, plus a high portion of ethnic immigration, in the year 2017 is the stadium really in the best place it could be in the City?

Re: Would Cardiff have more support from the City itself if the stadium

I'd don't think so in fact it could be worse at least it's accessible for the less well off who use,train ,bus and foot ,many greenfield sites are road and car use only .

Good question, but can you imagine the shitstorm that would’ve happened if we’d moved away from canton/grangetown

Historically, grounds have tended to be in “working class” areas, so imho any move away would be another nail in “traditional football”.

That and I don’t know where we could go that would boost numbers which have the transport infrastructure in place.

Would love it if our ground was in Sophia gardens, where the old pavilion used to be.

I don't reckon so but where would be the best place if you did move it. I reckon you are either going or your not. It would be sweet to walk there again but I not moving back. Walking to the football would make a 50/50 call easier maybe I suppose. I was wishing it was easier to get to for me the other day though it's not much of a challenge really I just getting older and everything is more effort.

Maindy would be ideal , come on Vinny sort it out

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

Surrounded by areas such as Grangetown, Canton, Riverside,etc which are not the most affluent of areas, plus a high portion of ethnic immigration, in the year 2017 is the stadium really in the best place it could be in the City?
    You've never been to Reading or Brighton, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    You've never been to Reading or Brighton, then?
    Been to Elm Park and Madejeski several times. Brigthton, when the played in Hove but not the new stadium.

Im not talking moving it miles away from anywhere, just talking hypothetically, if it were over the East or North rather than West of the City would this make any difference?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

Just looking around the office I'm working in now (in city centre), within eye line I can see one other City fan and he's from Maesteg. I can also see 7 Man Utd fans, 7 Liverpool fans, 1 Spurs fan, and the rest don't care about football and all of these are from Cardiff and the Valleys. That's the main reason and moving the ground would do nothing to improve attendances. All 15 of the people mentioned who support other teams gladly take the piss out of Cardiff even though they are all from within 20 miles or so of here.

I think that is why our crowds will never ever live up to the potential we could get without success for a few years.
    This is not just a Cardiff thing either as I work in Swansea now and again and they're the same. Welsh people bang on about how Welsh their Welshness is all the time, until it comes to poor performances or having to support a team who aren't very good.

Look at the Wales Panama game. We get knocked out and crowds drop back down to the level before we had one successful campaign.

I will put a disclaimer in and say a City Centre ground like the millennium would probably increase crowds slightly due to the piss up element of having all the pubs around the ground and easier transport to the valleys.

In this day and age, out of town with good road and rail access (park & ride) would seem obvious. Supporters will travel if the journey is easy. I have never been to a game there, but driven past Bolton's Macron Stadium just off the M61 and thought at the time what a sensible place to put a stadium.

Thinking of Cardiff, maybe north of the M4 close to the A470, or maybe Pontprennau, which seems to have appeared since I moved away from the city.

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    Just looking around the office I'm working in now (in city centre), within eye line I can see one other City fan and he's from Maesteg. I can also see 7 Man Utd fans, 7 Liverpool fans, 1 Spurs fan, and the rest don't care about football and all of these are from Cardiff and the Valleys. That's the main reason and moving the ground would do nothing to improve attendances. All 15 of the people mentioned who support other teams gladly take the piss out of Cardiff even though they are all from within 20 miles or so of here.

I think that is why our crowds will never ever live up to the potential we could get without success for a few years.
    This is not just a Cardiff thing either as I work in Swansea now and again and they're the same. Welsh people bang on about how Welsh their Welshness is all the time, until it comes to poor performances or having to support a team who aren't very good.

Look at the Wales Panama game. We get knocked out and crowds drop back down to the level before we had one successful campaign.
    Spot on. The apathy of certain elements of the population is staggering.

Cardiff is a relatively small city, so I don't see why the current location is a hindrance. Good road and rail access, plus walking distance from Canton. The PL is all that matters to some. During our PL season the fella who sat next to me bought a season ticket and only turned up for 3 games - Man City, Man Utd and the Jacks. Never seen him since. Obviously no interest in City at all.

This absolutely

It’s cringeworthy sitting in the office on Monday listening to the daft Welsh clowns using the royal WE whilst they talk about Liverpool and Man U. Another one is, you’re lot played well on the weekend, you’re lot FFS you are from Merthyr

so when your down the City watching the game Ken ,
    I would hazard a guess they are not at Anfield , Old Trafford and the like mate

Pubs in Canton on the doorstop, away from the shoppers, walkable from the railway station, roadside parking near the ground, located within the City itself. Perhaps the club should lay-on free taxis.

A football ground in this part of the City has worked fine for the club for over 100 years. Can't see any reason to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    A football ground in this part of the City has worked fine for the club for over 100 years. Can't see any reason to change it.
    Great post and so true

I quite like the fact that the ground is near where Ninian was. Walking through the same street, drinking in the same pubs and all the other familiarity.

Our ground is in a marvellous place, just across the road from our old home, nothing changed with the move, same pubs before & after, same travel procedure, buses straight back to town after the game etc etc. I've spoken to fans of other clubs whose new homes are stuck on some industrial park beside a motorway and they'd bite our hands off for we've got.

What proportion of the clubs fan base is from Grangetown, Canton, Riverside? A smallish number, probably. There is the rest of Cardiff and then the whole of S-E Wales. Can’t see how the people from these areas being “less affluent” or havin* a higher proportion of “ethnic immigration” has any impact at all.

I'm pretty sure that the levels of 'ethnic migration' in nearby areas wouldn't have much impact on people attending football matches?

I cannot imagine a better location than the current, traditional area (give or take a few yards) and location.

Walkable from the City centre, reachable by transport links to M4 and arterial roads. Spot on.

I couldn't help but thinking of MK Dons reading the threadline earlier. Moving from Ninian was traumatic but needed. I took it to be hypothetically where in town would attract some more walk ups. An updated Arms park would be that I suppose. Driving and parking at Ccs is a bit of a tug but then it was them same before. But if you think about it it's the same roads in and out but with more extra shops on em.

In the old days there was a big turnout from the adjacent areas. Their make up has changed in terms of affluence and ethnicity so i do think that has made a difference. My dad lived in old Fairwater, an uncle in Canton. Both massive City fans, both walked to NP every other Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    In the old days there was a big turnout from the adjacent areas. Their make up has changed in terms of affluence and ethnicity so i do think that has made a difference. My dad lived in old Fairwater, an uncle in Canton. Both massive City fans, both walked to NP every other Saturday.
    There probably was a few more locals attending back when the demographics were different, but the crowds were twice the size regularly back then also.
    They didn't all come from Grange and Riverside (nor likely Butetown, nor Tiger bay)

NP is walkable from half of Cardiff really .. Well .. sort of , if you like walking ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Vimto View Post
    There probably was a few more locals attending back when the demographics were different, but the crowds were twice the size regularly back then also.
    They didn't all come from Grange and Riverside (nor likely Butetown, nor Tiger bay)

NP is walkable from half of Cardiff really .. Well .. sort of , if you like walking ;)
    Yep, when i lived in Whitchurch walked to the ground most Saturdays.