+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would Cardiff have more support from the City itself if the stadium

Re: Would Cardiff have more support from the City itself if the stadium

Jeez, I see that I still find myself calling it NP ..

Quote Originally Posted by Vimto View Post
    There probably was a few more locals attending back when the demographics were different, but the crowds were twice the size regularly back then also.
    They didn't all come from Grange and Riverside (nor likely Butetown, nor Tiger bay)

NP is walkable from half of Cardiff really .. Well .. sort of , if you like walking ;)
    I was brought up in Grangetown in the 1960s and used to walk up to the old Ninian Park. Crowds were probably not that much different in size to what we see now. I would say in those days that a lot of fans would have come from the Valleys by train. That is still where potentially our additional (missing) fans are.

Cities like Leeds have a similar number of potential fans within their catchment area, but are more concentrated within the city itself. Elland Road is similarly situated to CCS, but regularly attracts much bigger crowds.

Fair enough re crowd sizes TDA, I was probably thinking of the mid 50's - not that i have first hand knowledge of that. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Vimto View Post
    Jeez, I see that I still find myself calling it NP ..
    I do that all the time.

I think the stadium is fine where it is. I suppose it would be nice if it was in Sophia Gardens, if only to show off to away fans. It was nice seering everyone fawn all over Cardiff when the FA Cup was at the MS.

The walk down the back way for away fans getting off the train is do able as well. Maybe not as important these days but used to be a factor.

The football club is not well supported by the people who live in the city of Cardiff and that’s a fact.

More than half of its support comes from outside of the city. Valleys, Barry, Bridgend.etc

So how much are the local areas such as Grangetown, Canton and Riverside supporting their local club? I would suggest not enough. The demographic of residents on these areas has changed massively in the last 20/30 years so it’s bound to have an impact.

If the stadium was in another part of Cardiff, one where the residents can walk up to the ground, and don’t have to catch any transport, would it attract more supporters than the residents near the CCS now?

Makes no odds to me I would have to catch a train, or drive / get a lift down regardless, but what do the people of Cardiff think? Those who actually live in the City? In other areas of the City perhaps?

For those getting their knickers in a twist I’m not suggesting for one minute we build a new stadium that ain’t gonna happen. Just interested as to why there’s not a great deal of people from Cardiff who support their local club?

All too easy to blame the valleys for supporting your Liverpool and your Man Us but it’s obvious the football fans of Cardiff don’t all support the City.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    The football club is not well supported by the people who live in the city of Cardiff and that’s a fact.

More than half of its support comes from outside of the city. Valleys, Barry, Bridgend.etc

So how much are the local areas such as Grangetown, Canton and Riverside supporting their local club? I would suggest not enough. The demographic of residents on these areas has changed massively in the last 20/30 years so it’s bound to have an impact.

If the stadium was in another part of Cardiff, one where the residents can walk up to the ground, and don’t have to catch any transport, would it attract more supporters than the residents near the CCS now?

Makes no odds to me I would have to catch a train, or drive / get a lift down regardless, but what do the people of Cardiff think? Those who actually live in the City? In other areas of the City perhaps?

For those getting their knickers in a twist I’m not suggesting for one minute we build a new stadium that ain’t gonna happen. Just interested as to why there’s not a great deal of people from Cardiff who support their local club?

All too easy to blame the valleys for supporting your Liverpool and your Man Us but it’s obvious the football fans of Cardiff don’t all support the City.
    The following we get from Bridgend alone is incredible

I support Cardiff cause I come from a long line of City supporters from Llanharan and Brynna. They loved the city and used to organise coach trips to Arsenal etc. they loved football and going into Catdiff to watch football was a buzz initself never mind going away in them days which was like visiting a foreign country when they chuckled about it. I grew up in Barry going to Cardiff was still a buzz even though Barry is mental. Watching us lose to Barry still ranks as my greyest day. I think that familiarity can breed contempt maybe.

Are we really debating relocating from CCS here?

Dumping a stadium custom-built only nine years ago?

And from where would the finance come?

Was in a different part of Cardiff?

Surrounded by areas such as Grangetown, Canton, Riverside,etc which are not the most affluent of areas, plus a high portion of ethnic immigration, in the year 2017 is the stadium really in the best place it could be in the City?
    Jeebus this board has plummeted.....**** lite nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

Hartley wants away from those 'orrible efnics like

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    The following we get from Bridgend alone is incredible
    Always been a good following from Bridgend and the Garw valleys. The Borough pub on matchday is full of Bridgend lads.

I will try n make my point better. My uncle was falling over himself when Barry won.. You're from Barry you neck you should support em.. No. No I love the City. Handed down along the line. Maybe there was guys from Camarthen Town secretly supporting Barry when they were top of the league and Akinfenwa was there. I doubt t it. I reckon TV has loads to do with it drawing you in like I was drawn into the City. Not sure if I made that point as I wanted but I ain't typing it sgain

Quote Originally Posted by I'll give you the Malky!! View Post
    Jeebus this board has plummeted.....**** lite nowadays
    No.

Interesting question.

When the Blues shared our ground I know there were fans who stayed away, didn't like the extra effort to get from the city centre to the ground, no pubs outside the entrance to the ground - they were used to the Arms Park and I can imagine how the change would have felt inconvenient.

As for any of that affecting City fans? I doubt it. We're used to it.

I think any club would benefit from a City Centre location and would increase gates

if cardiff had the infrastructure roath park would be ideal

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    if cardiff had the infrastructure roath park would be ideal
    Where would the ducks go?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Where would the ducks go?
    Pentwyn Lake. It's tidy there.

I think this is a hypothetical exercise only.

However, it would be interesting to see a breakdown of season ticket holders by post code.

For what it's worth I sit next to a lad who travels from West Wales every game. Not sure what that tells us.

For what it's worth I sit next to a lad who travels from West Wales every game. Not sure what that tells us.
    For what its worth I travel from London every game. Not sure what that tells us

I live in north cardiff and it can be a pain in the arse to get to, usually a good 45 minutes door to door, but I would still prefer it to be where it is.

If people really want to support the team they’ll make the effort

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny London View Post
    For what its worth I travel from London every game. Not sure what that tells us
    I think it tells us you're a top supporter, but also people travel greater distances to the match than they did back in the day. Cardif itself has expanded dramatically to the North and East in particular.
    Fans are no longer mainly concentrated in the couple of miles surrounding the stadium.
    I also think, mind you our overall level of support is piss poor.