+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Closer to home - FA Cup 3rd round draw

Closer to home - FA Cup 3rd round draw

It takes place on Monday evening.

I'm hoping for a small club away (ideally at a ground I've not been to) or a top PL club at home.

What I don't want is the farce of stupid kick off times to please S4C or BBC Wales.

Fulham home (2017) Sunday 11:30am
    Shrewsbury home (2016) Sunday 6:00pm
    Colchester home (2015) Friday 7:45pm

Three shit draws, the two Sunday games we lost in front of deservedly poor crowds.

Re: Closer to home - FA Cup 3rd round draw

That Fulham game was terrible. One of those where you were wondering why you bothered getting out of bed.

Jacks at home please.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    It takes place on Monday evening.

I'm hoping for a small club away (ideally at a ground I've not been to) or a top PL club at home.

What I don't want is the farce of stupid kick off times to please S4C or BBC Wales.

Fulham home (2017) Sunday 11:30am
    Shrewsbury home (2016) Sunday 6:00pm
    Colchester home (2015) Friday 7:45pm

Three shit draws, the two Sunday games we lost in front of deservedly poor crowds.
    I get the impression Neil isn't going to bother no matter who we draw

It'll be a chance to say goodbye to Pilkington , Camp may get a game if he's ever fit and Halford will dominate the midfield with Connolly captain for the game and a chance for some youngsters who will be released at the end of the season to get a run out

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    I get the impression Neil isn't going to bother no matter who we draw

It'll be a chance to say goodbye to Pilkington , Camp may get a game if he's ever fit and Halford will dominate the midfield with Connolly captain for the game and a chance for some youngsters who will be released at the end of the season to get a run out
    If we've drawn Man Utd etc at CCS I would hope it's the strongest first XI starting the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    If we've drawn Man Utd etc at CCS I would hope it's the strongest first XI starting the game.
    The cup run of 2008 was what boosted our crowds in the first place. If by some miracle we could get to Wembley again, it would have the same impact as then.

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    The cup run of 2008 was what boosted our crowds in the first place. If by some miracle we could get to Wembley again, it would have the same impact as then.
    When Neil Warnock was asked to pick a strong side and respect the tradition of the Cup at Wednesda's meeting with fans, his reply was along the lines that he would if 20,000 City fans did by actually turning up. Our manager is right, every year there are cheaper tickets for FA Cup games and every year a four figure crowd is there. City fans have shown in recent years that the FA Cup means nothing to an awful lot of them - I've been critical of the club in the past about its selection policy for these games, but is it right to blame them if they behave in the same way as many supporters do?

First Team

I'm in Cambridge the weekend of the third round so an away draw there would be handy.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    When Neil Warnock was asked to pick a strong side and respect the tradition of the Cup at Wednesda's meeting with fans, his reply was along the lines that he would if 20,000 City fans did by actually turning up. Our manager is right, every year there are cheaper tickets for FA Cup games and every year a four figure crowd is there. City fans have shown in recent years that the FA Cup means nothing to an awful lot of them - I've been critical of the club in the past about its selection policy for these games, but is it right to blame them if they behave in the same way as many supporters do?
    You're not wrong, but I think there's a different reason. As we were making our way back up through the divisions, playing a bigger team in the cup was a thrill. Now we've been a top Championship club for a decade or so, with one failed season in the top division. The excitement factor of playing a Championship or even lower Prem club has gone as we've played and beaten them all.

I reckon the only way of getting a big home crowd is to draw either a top Prem side or the Jacks. Otherwise we'll be playing a team that, a decade ago, maybe would have been an exciting time, but now isn't and we'll be fielding our reserves.

In response to Warnock - guarantee you'll play our strongest XI and you'll get more there. He knows we won't commit to 20k as much as we know we'll field our reserves.