+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The most weird game I can remember seeing for a while...

The most weird game I can remember seeing for a while...

Just got back and how we won that is still a bit of a mystery...

It was a bit cool out there tonight and for most of the first half we played as if all the players had got frozen feet such was their inability to pass or control anything. Everything also seemed to be done at half speed too - including thinking...

Norwich had the better players man-to-man tonight and won most of the 50-50's, even against Bamba. I know that we won 3-1 - it could easily have been 5-1 - and yet I feel Norwich will have gone away unable to understand how they got nothing from the match.

Whatever it is Neil manages to get out of these players it is very special and he deserves a really good birthday party for achieving this today from 0-1 down, and no obvious way back.

They say the sign of a side that's going to get promoted is in finding ways to win games like these. If that is true then we're going up as Champions...

Happy Birthday Neil the magician - literally unbelievable management to win that today

Re: The most weird game I can remember seeing for a while...

I agree. I watched the live video coverage and whilst we ceded so much possession, we always looked capable of scoring when we did get forward. Great finishing was the difference between the teams.

They should be far nigher in the league based on that performance. They looked pacey and creative, not unlike Brentford

I agree. Norwich were half decent. Beaten by a better manager.

Every Norwich cross was gathered by Etheridge and every shot (bar 1) was blocked by one of our defenders. Heroic defending.
    Never seen a Cardiff keeper come off his line so many times to successfully gather a cross - dont think Marshall gathered that many crosses in a single season.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post

It was a bit cool out there tonight and for most of the first half we played as if all the players had got frozen feet such was their inability to pass or control anything. Everything also seemed to be done at half speed too - including thinking...

Norwich had the better players man-to-man tonight and won most of the 50-50's, even against Bamba. I know that we won 3-1 - it could easily have been 5-1 - and yet I feel Norwich will have gone away unable to understand how they got nothing from the match.

Whatever it is Neil manages to get out of these players it is very special and he deserves a really good birthday party for achieving this today from 0-1 down, and no obvious way back.

They say the sign of a side that's going to get promoted is in finding ways to win games like these. If that is true then we're going up as Champions...

Happy Birthday Neil the magician - literally unbelievable management to win that today
    Decent summing up.
    Awful game with no atmosphere fist half whatsoever.
    Two poor sides but Norwich, for their pressure in the last 10 mins, probably deserved to go in at HT 1 up.

Strange that it takes a rubbish performance to get the best out of the side but it seems that is what was called for.
    Tomlin made an immediate impact 2nd half, whilst not doing anything spectacular, brought a different tempo to the game.

We gave the ball away far too easily but we look very good at times when breaking.

As you say, could have been more but 3-1 still flattered us.

Happy Birthday Neil, good rendition on 80 minutes, albeit 11 too late. Well done BLUETIT

Norwich played like we do first half, with power and pace but with some very good passing too, and it threw us, we really struggled to cope with them.
    Second half was a lot, lot better. We did what we do best, got in their faces and ran our arses off and as a result created more opportunities.
    They out Cardiffed us first half, then we showed them how it’s done in the second.

Couple of potential MoM again, Manga was excellent at full back again, but I would give it to Bogle. He gave everthing, worked his socks off closing down and chasing lost causes, turning to the Canton and whipping the crowd up.

Also it was nice to see Sol Bamba run across to give his shirt to a young kid in the Ninian, just like Damour did on Sunday.

The only down side was a few boos at the half time whistle. Anyone that booed needs to take themselves off and have a word with themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Norwich played like we do first half, with power and pace but with some very good passing too, and it threw us, we really struggled to cope with them.
    Second half was a lot, lot better. We did what we do best, got in their faces and ran our arses off and as a result created more opportunities.
    They out Cardiffed us first half, then we showed them how it’s done in the second.

Couple of potential MoM again, Manga was excellent at full back again, but I would give it to Bogle. He gave everthing, worked his socks off closing down and chasing lost causes, turning to the Canton and whipping the crowd up.

Also it was nice to see Sol Bamba run across to give his shirt to a young kid in the Ninian, just like Damour did on Sunday.

The only down side was a few boos at the half time whistle. Anyone that booed needs to take themselves off and have a word with themselves.

Manga excellent!? I really like him, but that was his worst performance I have seen from him, he got skinned about 10 times and let the winger run into the box countless times

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    Manga excellent!? I really like him, but that was his worst performance I have seen from him, he got skinned about 10 times and let the winger run into the box countless times
    I only remember him getting beaten three times in the whole game.

I saw it completely different. I thought Norwich were poor. First half we were so much worse. Second half we showed up and were too much for them and as you say, it could've been 5 or 6.

That Murphy is a cracking player and had the beating of manga. Hoolahan also done well but that Oliveira's end product was absolutely useless. They just looked like a team of individuals doing their own thing. I'd be surprised if they can't believe they left empty handed.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post

In his interview after the match Warnock said "I wish I could have made five substitutions at half-time, we were that bad. I couldn't see how we could be worse."
    It was probably him you heard booing

Love this from Barry Shitpeas:

"They out Cardiffed us first half, then we showed them how it’s done in the second."

Sums us up perfectly.

Me too. I like Manga but he looked uncomfortable tonight against a trick, pacy winger, who will be remembered mostly though for his elaborate diving.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    I saw it completely different. I thought Norwich were poor. First half we were so much worse. Second half we showed up and were too much for them and as you say, it could've been 5 or 6.

That Murphy is a cracking player and had the beating of manga. Hoolahan also done well but that Oliveira's end product was absolutely useless. They just looked like a team of individuals doing their own thing. I'd be surprised if they can't believe they left empty handed.
    Yes Murphy was brilliant for them. Tonight was the first time I thought Manga got caught out at full back. Until Paterson come on at least.

Warnocks brace subs changed the game.

Morrison was everywhere, superb again and Hoillet is pure class. Tomlin wasn't all that involved but still produced a piece of magic which made the whole crowd go 'wow'.

What a squad we've got. Bogle looks raw but a big potential star in the making.

Ralls superb and the all round midfielder.

Patterson cross, Bogle's finish. Class

In a game where we could easily have lost

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post

Teams find it hard to live with our willpower.

What gets ignored is the skill which is allied with it. Flashes of brilliance in a powerful group of players.

That was a great win.

'Frank,' Bruno Manga was given an impossible job last night but stuck to it manfully. The Norwich #11 was a tricky customer, when not diving, so to expect Manga, a centre half, to mark him was going to be hard. In the second half, when City went to a three not four at the back, he had at least 10 yds to make up to close the Norwich winger down as the nominal rwb, Paterson, was pushed much further forward. Though not a vintage, 'Frank,' performance he prevented Murphy creating much so did well for me in an unaccustomed role.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    'Frank,' Bruno Manga was given an impossible job last night but stuck to it manfully. The Norwich #11 was a tricky customer, when not diving, so to expect Manga, a centre half, to mark him was going to be hard. In the second half, when City went to a three not four at the back, he had at least 10 yds to make up to close the Norwich winger down as the nominal rwb, Paterson, was pushed much further forward. Though not a vintage, 'Frank,' performance he prevented Murphy creating much so did well for me in an unaccustomed role.

StT.
    <><
    I thought Manga had an awful game. The weakest think in our defence.

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    I agree. I watched the live video coverage and whilst we ceded so much possession, we always looked capable of scoring when we did get forward. Great finishing was the difference between the teams.
    It seemed to be a familiar pattern. Outplayed, far less possession than the opposition, hugely flawed in some areas but we seem to have the knack of putting the ball in the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I thought Manga had an awful game. The weakest think in our defence.
    I wouldn't say awful, as his defensive positioning for long balls was excellent. Where he was found out was with an out and out winger running at him.