Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASHES 2ND TEST THREAD

ASHES 2ND TEST THREAD

ENG won the toss chose to field

First Team

Re: ASHES 2ND TEST THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by I.8.POLITICAL.CORRECTNESS View Post
    So far a proper old fashioned test match this. rain delays, slow scoring and a vital dropped catch.
    Australia grinding out a decent start but England only a couple of quick wickets from claiming the ascendancy.Warners wicket is a big plus but you know who s looking nicely poised.
    This talk about the dinner break is throwing me but will be interesting to see what happens when the games enters the night part of the equation.
    Still don't like BT's coverage though.
    May have to switch to the radio commentary .

First Team

Smith gone and Aussies 4 down.
    As is stands evenly poised now but you do wonder how much the nighttime batting conditions are contributing to the events so far.
    I have always maintained that you should never make assumptions until both sides have batted so will wait to see how The first few days pan out before going to the default position of despair/ acceptance of mediocrity.

Glamorgan man Shaun Marsh is 83 not out as Australia have reached 361-7 - that's too many after they were put into bat and I'm sorry to be negative, but I can see another 5-0 in the making here.

I would have thought England would have fancied a bat first given the conditions.

Marsh 102 not out, Australia 407-7 - it's beginning to look like a match winning innings by Glamorgan's new signing.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Marsh 102 not out, Australia 407-7 - it's beginning to look like a match winning innings by Glamorgan's new signing.
    Paul it’s been a long time since we had a current Aussie international at Glammy as a permanent signing. Marsh played for us briefly a few years ago in T20 but I don’t think he was in them Test team at the time.

First Team

Thanks Bob.

Just woken up and thought dog walk or catch a few hours of the cricket.

Dogs will shortly be getting a long walk!

Although the Aussies are dominant here they’ve got over 400 runs but it’s taken them 5 sessions, which is pretty boring stuff to watch not that Aussie fans will care really.Apart from being unlucky with a few lbw decisions the England bowling has been poor.

But may I say well done Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Although the Aussies are dominant here they’ve got over 400 runs but it’s taken them 5 sessions, which is pretty boring stuff to watch not that Aussie fans will care really.Apart from being unlucky with a few lbw decisions the England bowling has been poor.

But may I say well done Sean
    If you look at the Aussie middle order, they all got runs which will boost confidence for the rest of the series.
    Although some may find the run rate too slow, to me this is old style test cricket. Occupation of the crease, get the bowlers despondent and the runs will tick over.

Time for England to do the same. If they can bat for 5 sessions they can save the game. Be nigh on impossible to win it from here.

Concur. Doffed cap to Marsh :doffcapsmiley:

Are England’s openers planning on at least getting one 50 partnership this series? Dearie me.

Thank heavens for the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    If you look at the Aussie middle order, they all got runs which will boost confidence for the rest of the series.
    Although some may find the run rate too slow, to me this is old style test cricket. Occupation of the crease, get the bowlers despondent and the runs will tick over.

Time for England to do the same. If they can bat for 5 sessions they can save the game. Be nigh on impossible to win it from here.

Concur. Doffed cap to Marsh :doffcapsmiley:
    Australia can bat slowly knowing that this England batting line up is incapable, just as it has been for about three years, of batting long enough to make it a problem - 107-5 with none of the top five getting more than 37 before being dismissed.

oh I do love an England collapse same again in next years world cup please.

208-8 and none of the top eight could manage more than 37 - last three batsman have been out caught and bowled.

208-8 and none of the top eight could manage more than 37 - last three batsman have been out caught and bowled.
    And only one 50 partnership

Quote Originally Posted by I.8.POLITICAL.CORRECTNESS View Post
    Whether it was Root, Bayliss or someone else, someone needs to front up about bowling first. It looked a horrible call at the time in a D/N test, and it's criminal now.

Strauss and Bayliss both need to be kicked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Strauss and Bayliss both need to be kicked out.
    Get Pieterson in

Aus... 50 for 3 !
    (Not that it'll affect the result)

Sad thing about this series is that we are talking about 2 very average sides.Probably the worst 2 to contest an Ashes series for many a year.

Bit of a fight back and Smith out for 9

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/41784703

First Team

Regardless of this mini collapse there are probably already enough runs on the board for Australia to win.
    Starting to look like a resounding defeat in the series is on the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Regardless of this mini collapse there are probably already enough runs on the board for Australia to win.
    Woakes has said today "we need to make the most of batting during the daylight hours". I have genuinely no idea why we didn't bat first.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    yeah its not looking good , its not like the convicts have a strong side like in the past
    its looking like its going to be 2-0 in the series I doubt very much if a draw could be scraped

What a fantastic fourth days play.
    Aussies bowled out cheaply leaving England with an outside chance of winning the test match and squaring the series.

170 odd for 4 and with another 170 odd to get, still a tough ask but Root still there on 60 odd.

Whilst I still fancy Australia, especially after taking a wicket in the last 20 minutes, England have given the fans something to cheer at last and it was great to see Steve Smith squirm and the fans goad him in the last session, having no reviews left.

Test cricket at its best.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    What a fantastic fourth days play.
    Aussies bowled out cheaply leaving England with an outside chance of winning the test match and squaring the series.

170 odd for 4 and with another 170 odd to get, still a tough ask but Root still there on 60 odd.

Whilst I still fancy Australia, especially after taking a wicket in the last 20 minutes, England have given the fans something to cheer at last and it was great to see Steve Smith squirm and the fans goad him in the last session, having no reviews left.

Test cricket at its best.
    We've got a shot, and that's a lot more than I thought we'd be saying after the first day. Well done the bowlers and the batsmen for fighting.