+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Farke raving mad. Highlights and reaction as City beat Norwich

Farke raving mad. Highlights and reaction as City beat Norwich

Norwich boss not happy after seeing his side lose in south Wales.

C:WindowsTempphpEA4C.tmpOne can only imagine what the Cardiff City dressing room was like at half time as Neil Warnock looked to lift his side after coming in a goal down.

“I shouldn’t have to go like that at half time – especially on my birthday,” said Warnock. “I’m not sure I’ve had to do it since I’ve been here, but we were so poor in the first half and something had to be done.

“In the end we made a couple of changes which is again something I don’t often do. But we took the gamble and it worked for us – we could have scored five or six in the end.

“I have to give Kevin Blackwell and Ronnie Jepson a pat on the back for the part they played at half time too. We had a chat about what needed changing and I thought they were fantastic.

“I felt the best we could hope for at half time was to get in at 0-0, but then they scored and it became even worse for us," the manager reflected. "We had to change things and then in the second half we showed what we’re all about.

“Maybe we were feeling a bit sorry for ourselves in the first half after one or two niggles and knocks in training. But then we were so much better after the break.”

Daniel Farke

C:WindowsTempphpF0A3.tmp“I am not willing to comment on the second half because if I gave you my honest thoughts I would be fined by the FA, 100pc,” he said. “I think it was quite obvious to anyone in the stadium what happened and the reason why we lost. I have to be careful a little bit.

“None of my lads has to be criticised because their performance was brilliant. The loss was for other reasons.

“I always speak to my players about small things determining games like a bad pass or a bad decision.

“We concede a goal after 47 minutes when we haven’t given one situation away.

“The cross came in and no-one can tell me right now where the foul is. It was a foul on my player, Ivo Pinto. You can watch it again. I wouldn’t expect a free kick but I also wouldn’t expect a penalty.

“It was a determining situation for the whole game. It was a present for them without a mistake by us.

“The second penalty, even the player came to me after the game and said he was sorry, he slipped.

“The third chance they had a shot against the bar that came from a free kick, which wasn’t a foul for me.

“Fourthly, we tried to put pressure on them and Vrancic was tugged on his shirt on a counter and didn’t give us a free kick and they go up the other end straight away and score the third goal. Frustrating. Totally frustrating.”

Farke admitted his side should have been further ahead at the break.

“I thought the first half was a brilliant performance from my lads,” he said. “We faced an opponent who is unbeaten in their home games and we didn’t give away one goal, we scored a beautiful goal and three or four chances to get a second.

“We had a couple of situations in the box. Josh Murphy got into the box and stayed on his feet. Nelson Oliveira was close to a penalty as well when he was in a brilliant shooting position and he had a two-on-one with Wes Hoolahan.

“We made one mistake in the second half when Josh lost the ball and stopped playing. The ball deflects back to their player and it is 2-1. He has to learn.”

Re: Farke raving mad. Highlights and reaction as City beat Norwich

What the Farke's he talking about?

They were a little, no more, better than us in a dire first half and we dealt with them after making changes second.

Farke: “None of my lads has to be criticised because their performance was brilliant. The loss was for other reasons."

Oh yeah?
    - like Murphy's outrageous and ludicrous dive in the second half to try to gain a penalty;
    - like three of their players appealing, arms aloft, for a foul/handball after Etheridge cleanly gathered the ball at a melee when he came out.
    - like a load of their players surrounding the ref after a penalty award.

So Mr Farke are you actually saying that the ref got the two penalties wrong?

I'll stop now.

StT.
    <><
    Last edited by Steve the Tea; 02-12-17 at 12:26. Reason: Addition

Both fair penalties IMO as seen from the Canton stand.
    It was not the first time Morrison had had his shirt pulled & been manhandled in their box & the ref was watching for it.
    They have no one to blame but themselves.
    "The second penalty, even the player came to me after the game and said he was sorry, he slipped."
    What the Farke is he on about ?
    Their goalie was to blame.
    Could easily have been a red rather than the yellow he was give, seen it before.
    Oh well another win, another 3 points, another opposition manager complaining about the ref & our tactics.
    Do all these opposition managers think that we are bribing the refs ?
    They need to just admit that they can"t handle us.
    Long may it continue.

Fair write up from a Norwich point of view:

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/p...loss-1-5305013

1. Ref justice - Daniel Farke pledged not explode for fear of an FA rap. But his post-match debrief proved no diplomatic side step.

The German placed the blame for his side’s latest defeat squarely on the referee. Two penalties and a clear tug back on Mario Vrancic in the build up to Cardiff’s third goal all went the way of the home side.

The problem is, after six winless games previously in the league and fresh evidence in Wales of deep issues Farke is seemingly struggling to address, it sounds like excuses.

Ivo Pinto may well have been harshly punished for a tussle with Sean Morrison that led to the equaliser but Sol Bamba had headed the ball past Angus Gunn fractions of a second after the penalty was awarded.

Similarly, there was plenty of opportunity to thwart Omar Bogle once Vrancic was halted at the other end of the pitch. The City chief needs to look closer to home.

2. Nelson Oliveira - The pouting Portugal international possesses that selfish streak you need as a striker. Unfortunately it is to the detriment of his team mates at present.

Allowances must be made to a degree, after an injury-hit season that has never fully got up to speed. But each passing start, since his return from a series of fitness issues, is just another exercise in frustration.

Oliveira appears to be playing with the hump. The waywardness of his shooting is turning into an epidemic. Farke must decipher what makes Oliveira tick. Quickly.

Wes Hoolahan was well within his rights to lambast the forward when he chose to shoot with the Republic of Ireland man better place prior to the interval. Yes, he needs a more productive supply line but he has to help himself if City’s woeful goal output is to improve.

3. Style over substance - Technical ability can trump tenacity was Farke’s pre-match assessment. Packing your midfield with good ball players was the way to counter-act Cardiff’s more earthy qualities.

Farke was right with regard to the futility of trying to out-muscle a Neil Warnock side but his faith in the primacy of Norwich’s possession game is misplaced.

City do not have the operators to pass teams into submission. They need a dose of mongrel mixed in with the pedigree. That is how they carved out results in the one fertile spell of the season.

Right now, they are lightweight across midfield. There is no lack of effort or endeavour but the energy levels are suspect. The sense of danger absent. The balance wrong and the game intelligence without the ball, lacking. Each passing setback merely highlights the problem.

4. Winter of discontent? - Games against Brentford, Birmingham and Burton over the festive period now assume added importance. Norwich need to haul themselves out of a tailspin that is sucking them ever closer the wrong end of the table.

Get past a Yorkshire double header against Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds with no wins on the board - following an alarming drop in productivity since beating Ipswich - and they will need to halt the slide against teams likely to be breathing the same air in a similar part of the Championship table.

Forget top 10 aspirations. This is now increasingly looking like damage limitation to avoid spending the second part of the season casting anxious glances over the shoulder.

5. Will the real Marco stand up? - Stiepermann arrived at Carrow Road with a reputation for versatility. There had been precious little evidence of his claim he is a man ‘born to score goals’ until his sweet left-footed strike deceived Neil Etheridge.

The concern is the former Borussia Dortmund product looks suspect defensively. Nottingham Forest’s winner, Bolton’s opener and now Cardiff’s match-clinching strike have all had one thing in common. Balls crossed from the right with City’s designated left-back notable by his absence.

Stiepermann is not the only Norwich player you would question their positioning, but with James Husband yet to convince that left-hand side requires urgent attention.

Jamal Lewis may inject a degree of competition when he returns from injury but it should hardly fall to an untried youngster to solve the conundrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Fair write up from a Norwich point of view:

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/p...loss-1-5305013

1. Ref justice - Daniel Farke pledged not explode for fear of an FA rap. But his post-match debrief proved no diplomatic side step.

The German placed the blame for his side’s latest defeat squarely on the referee. Two penalties and a clear tug back on Mario Vrancic in the build up to Cardiff’s third goal all went the way of the home side.

The problem is, after six winless games previously in the league and fresh evidence in Wales of deep issues Farke is seemingly struggling to address, it sounds like excuses.

Ivo Pinto may well have been harshly punished for a tussle with Sean Morrison that led to the equaliser but Sol Bamba had headed the ball past Angus Gunn fractions of a second after the penalty was awarded.

Similarly, there was plenty of opportunity to thwart Omar Bogle once Vrancic was halted at the other end of the pitch. The City chief needs to look closer to home.

2. Nelson Oliveira - The pouting Portugal international possesses that selfish streak you need as a striker. Unfortunately it is to the detriment of his team mates at present.

Allowances must be made to a degree, after an injury-hit season that has never fully got up to speed. But each passing start, since his return from a series of fitness issues, is just another exercise in frustration.

Oliveira appears to be playing with the hump. The waywardness of his shooting is turning into an epidemic. Farke must decipher what makes Oliveira tick. Quickly.

Wes Hoolahan was well within his rights to lambast the forward when he chose to shoot with the Republic of Ireland man better place prior to the interval. Yes, he needs a more productive supply line but he has to help himself if City’s woeful goal output is to improve.

3. Style over substance - Technical ability can trump tenacity was Farke’s pre-match assessment. Packing your midfield with good ball players was the way to counter-act Cardiff’s more earthy qualities.

Farke was right with regard to the futility of trying to out-muscle a Neil Warnock side but his faith in the primacy of Norwich’s possession game is misplaced.

City do not have the operators to pass teams into submission. They need a dose of mongrel mixed in with the pedigree. That is how they carved out results in the one fertile spell of the season.

Right now, they are lightweight across midfield. There is no lack of effort or endeavour but the energy levels are suspect. The sense of danger absent. The balance wrong and the game intelligence without the ball, lacking. Each passing setback merely highlights the problem.

4. Winter of discontent? - Games against Brentford, Birmingham and Burton over the festive period now assume added importance. Norwich need to haul themselves out of a tailspin that is sucking them ever closer the wrong end of the table.

Get past a Yorkshire double header against Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds with no wins on the board - following an alarming drop in productivity since beating Ipswich - and they will need to halt the slide against teams likely to be breathing the same air in a similar part of the Championship table.

Forget top 10 aspirations. This is now increasingly looking like damage limitation to avoid spending the second part of the season casting anxious glances over the shoulder.

5. Will the real Marco stand up? - Stiepermann arrived at Carrow Road with a reputation for versatility. There had been precious little evidence of his claim he is a man ‘born to score goals’ until his sweet left-footed strike deceived Neil Etheridge.

The concern is the former Borussia Dortmund product looks suspect defensively. Nottingham Forest’s winner, Bolton’s opener and now Cardiff’s match-clinching strike have all had one thing in common. Balls crossed from the right with City’s designated left-back notable by his absence.

Stiepermann is not the only Norwich player you would question their positioning, but with James Husband yet to convince that left-hand side requires urgent attention.

Jamal Lewis may inject a degree of competition when he returns from injury but it should hardly fall to an untried youngster to solve the conundrum.
    Actually, Mike, I thought that was a really honest appraisal. The, 'footballstats,' w/site clearly shows why Norwich are where they are. In spite of all their possession they have managed only about 2/3 of shots and shots on target as City. They, and other clubs, have technically gifted players, but football is about more than tapping the ball around in the middle-third of the pitch.

StT.
    <><

They moved the ball around well with pace and purpose. But their manager is ****ing mental if he thinks their one goal was enough to win the game.

If you concede three goals, you can't blame the ref and you can't expect to get points. Norwich played well, but not well enough and not all over the pitch.

The "weekly whine" is getting boring, but long may it continue.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    They moved the ball around well with pace and purpose. But their manager is ****ing mental if he thinks their one goal was enough to win the game.

If you concede three goals, you can't blame the ref and you can't expect to get points. Norwich played well, but not well enough and not all over the pitch.

The "weekly whine" is getting boring, but long may it continue.
    No No the penalty that should never have been given changed the whole game. Nwver mind the fact the ball had to be picked out of the net to be put on the spot...

If you've got 15 mins while supping a coffee this thread is quite good fun.

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pi...t.aspx#3580847

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    No No the penalty that should never have been given changed the whole game. Nwver mind the fact the ball had to be picked out of the net to be put on the spot...
    Quite right, it was a really good goal by Bamba as well.
    Norwich simply didn’t defend well enough, the 3rd goal was shocking the amount of space and time they gave Paterson and allowed Bogle to get in front of their centre-half.